All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Losing valves
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:55 pm 
Medium Poster

That bladder had been inflated exactly twice before I noticed this.

My other kite did the exact same thing. I wonder if somehow the valve stretched and didn't return to it's initial state from air pressure? (used a hand pump and don't think I over-inflated it)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

what laughingman said. I have replaced I dunno, 20, more? something like that a lot of valves, cabrinha, ozone, slingshot, liquid force, wainman, but I never have seen a valve look like that. I think his theory might be right, they cut the hole too small for the valve?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

I've had a couple valves do that, not sure why (Eclipse, Caution). I blame it on the one pump style system which I'm not a fan of. I imagine the one pump tubing can put a kink on the valve, either while flying, or while stored in the bag.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

WTF...

Never seen this...perhaps it deformed due to heat stress?

Did they peel it off a beach ball and stick it on there? Thats fucked up...

Please do let us know the manufacturer, good to know...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 pm 
Medium Poster

Well I've got two kites from two different vendors that did this in a week. Neither kite has been left in a car. The only common thread is that a single vendor supplied both replacement bladders. This makes me feel it isn't the size of the hole that is the culprit but more likely a batch of valves with oversized bodies (since both are 9mm valves). My 12m lasted about 15 sessions before this happened. The LF in the picture is a 15m and lasted one session.

The vendor is working with me so I'm not throwing them under the bus. They are about as happy as I am that this happened. I suppose it could be the one pump system somehow torqued the valve but my 10m has a similar design and has lasted over a year on it's bladder (from the same vendor), and my 7m has never given me any problems.

I take pretty good care of my kites. The one thing I will admit is that I don't unroll them before pumping them up. I will help it unroll and don't use the air pressure to open it up but I find it's a pain in the ass to have it flopping all over the place. This could have contributed to the problem; that said the 15m was laid out flat before inflation (second hand kite--checking for issues).

I guess I need to get a back-up 12m.... Nothing blows more than the wind blowing and not having a working kite for that wind range, especially after a craptastic week at work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sounds like mr. bladder got a deal on some valves and stuck em on there....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:20 am 
Frequent Poster

I had this problem a while ago on an old kite with a replacement valve. Easy fix. Get soldering iron or if your lucky and know a someone with a hot knife and open up the hole just enough so the valve dosent pinch. If u get a bladder with the smaller valve again the slightly larger hole wont effect it.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2