*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:41 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2505
plummet wrote:
I can't do anything other they grey lenses or my eyes hurt!

II find orange/copper unbearable.


Orange and copper are 2 different lens tint and serve different purposes

http://www.solarshield.com/tints.html

Orange is known as blueblocker and i do not like myself or recommend that tint for kiting

Liking the grey is great especially if you are light sensitive and go during mid day ( max lumens )
Also younger eyes like in 20' s .. 30's do very well with grey...their crystal lens are very transparent

In the 40's you gain an advantage in sharper vision and 50's ++ it really makes a sharp difference

Reason is primarily light scattering that is cause by the crystalline lens in the eye that is aging
Copper lens color is what helps focus light sharply on retina overpowering the scattering

Other good choice if you want to enhanced regular grey lenses is to get grey-green lenses
Yellow is added to the grey in that lens to provide the wearer more definition and sharpness
As example think of the Ray-Ban color G-15

Bottom line : find what works for you...wear them..slow down cataracts and macular degeneration
Your eyes are not invincible

:cheers:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:59 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2505
edt wrote:
i cant spend more than 10 or 20 on a pair of sunglasses because when i crash really hard everything gets smashed up, sure I put a floaty on the glasses but if they are far enough away sometimes u cant spot them sometime they break in two.

cant believe how many people can wear the $100 sunglasses. I think I go through 6 sunglasses a season

agree sunglasses are a MUST

even if your eyes arent sensitive use the sunglasses it will prevent you from getting the cataracts


I spend $20 for my awesome semi-rimless 8 base copper smudge guard sunglasses at Wal-Mart
I don't use floaties

Instead i attach the temple tips with an adjustable Croakie Terra Max cord
Plus a short leash made of kite line from Croakie to center top of waist harness (@13 inches long)

If you have a seat harness the leash line would need to be around 6 inches longer

I just put a small hole through harness top to thread leash thin line..attached with bowline knot

This way if they fly off my face in heavy surf or major crash i can retrieve them at arms length

I have been very very successful with this method for not losing shades to the ocean
I always wear them over my soft contacts and i go 200+ days a year as you all surely know by now
:thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Posts: 3608
Location: Japan
s1buell_wl wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
I love my Sharks but $280 for a new pair - they must be joking!

Using Sun Dogs now which are great, especially for the price... But will give them a shot next time!


I use to do proto testing for the sharks. The V1 was the best (2008-10). But it had a weak lens retainer (lots of lens popped out). They fixed this in V2 but they changed the form a little and I started to get the weird fog/build up on the lens. I ended up always using my V1's (lost the V2, don't float well).

My lens in the old sharks are cooked so instead of ordering another set. I started looking around and bumped into these. I have to tell you they blow the sharks away. I use the brown lens. They are not made like the sharks but the view and 0 fogging is crazy nice.

Oh and they float crazy good. you would have to be unconscious to lose them.

Heh... I bought v1s from chainreactioncycles then got a free pair of v2s to "test" for them. Loved them, but they didn't float so well - especially when the floating strap gets wrapped around your foot and ripped off the glasses when you slam!

The Sundogs I have are the Ballistic model - got them from eBay UK IIRC. Have the grey lens, seems ok.

Image


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:41 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 am
Posts: 520
Location: Vitoria, Brasil
SupaEZ wrote:
edt wrote:
i cant spend more than 10 or 20 on a pair of sunglasses because when i crash really hard everything gets smashed up, sure I put a floaty on the glasses but if they are far enough away sometimes u cant spot them sometime they break in two.

cant believe how many people can wear the $100 sunglasses. I think I go through 6 sunglasses a season

agree sunglasses are a MUST

even if your eyes arent sensitive use the sunglasses it will prevent you from getting the cataracts


I spend $20 for my awesome semi-rimless 8 base copper smudge guard sunglasses at Wal-Mart
I don't use floaties

Instead i attach the temple tips with an adjustable Croakie Terra Max cord
Plus a short leash made of kite line from Croakie to center top of waist harness (@13 inches long)

If you have a seat harness the leash line would need to be around 6 inches longer

I just put a small hole through harness top to thread leash thin line..attached with bowline knot

This way if they fly off my face in heavy surf or major crash i can retrieve them at arms length

I have been very very successful with this method for not losing shades to the ocean
I always wear them over my soft contacts and i go 200+ days a year as you all surely know by now
:thumb:


I cant use the glasses with no splash protection on the bottom of the glasses (I wish). I have the 128x38 FS FR and it kicks a ton of water up when you drive up wind. The salt water is a no go for my eye's. This is why I really like the sharks. But these new ones are even better at splash protection.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:46 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2329
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
s1buell_wl wrote:
I have the 128x38 FS FR and it kicks a ton of water up when you drive up wind


bro u need to get a new board. when I test a board I might buy, the first thing I do is test how much splash i get in my eyes if it splashes i'm never riding it. it's not just the salt water in your eyes, you can get splashed at an inconvenient time, like right when someone jumps into your path and at the critical moment you are blinded by the water. unacceptable.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:52 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 am
Posts: 520
Location: Vitoria, Brasil
edt wrote:
i cant spend more than 10 or 20 on a pair of sunglasses because when i crash really hard everything gets smashed up, sure I put a floaty on the glasses but if they are far enough away sometimes u cant spot them sometime they break in two.

cant believe how many people can wear the $100 sunglasses. I think I go through 6 sunglasses a season

agree sunglasses are a MUST

even if your eyes arent sensitive use the sunglasses it will prevent you from getting the cataracts



Because of the slash I can not use the cheap ones, but I will not spend more then $100 on glasses.

The way I see it these will save me money. I also go through 6 pair a year (kite all year round). They float great.

Two points.
1. The frame is sponge like rubber making them float and almost impossible to brake. Too much flex.

2. even the band floats, Like I said I get these blown off my head 10 times a session (play hard). They are so easy to find.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:00 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 am
Posts: 520
Location: Vitoria, Brasil
edt wrote:
s1buell_wl wrote:
I have the 128x38 FS FR and it kicks a ton of water up when you drive up wind


bro u need to get a new board. when I test a board I might buy, the first thing I do is test how much splash i get in my eyes if it splashes i'm never riding it. it's not just the salt water in your eyes, you can get splashed at an inconvenient time, like right when someone jumps into your path and at the critical moment you are blinded by the water. unacceptable.


You would have to rip that board out of my die'n hands lol

I have that board for a reason. But the splash is only when craving hard upwind. It's quite normal for the smaller boards. They tend to sink further into the water (weight distribution) then the chop hits your legs.

Coming into a trick no issue.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2329
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
s1buell_wl wrote:
But the splash is only when crazing hard upwind. It quite normal for the smaller boards. They tend to sink further into the water (weight distribution) then the chop hits your legs


there are plenty of 128 boards I have ridden that never splashed me (I'm 200 pounds/90 kilos) of course there are also lots of boards that will splash you. Obviously you love that board and will never give it up, just saying you don't have to get splashed if you don't want to.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:52 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 am
Posts: 520
Location: Vitoria, Brasil
edt wrote:
s1buell_wl wrote:
But the splash is only when crazing hard upwind. It quite normal for the smaller boards. They tend to sink further into the water (weight distribution) then the chop hits your legs


there are plenty of 128 boards I have ridden that never splashed me (I'm 200 pounds/90 kilos) of course there are also lots of boards that will splash you. Obviously you love that board and will never give it up, just saying you don't have to get splashed if you don't want to.


You know what your right. Other problem I have is Vitoria Brazil does not have a single kite dealer. I would love to try some other stuff. So for now I stuck on the 2009 128. That's the other thing she's a bit old lol.

I do love the pads!!!!

cheers


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Sun Glasses
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:27 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Posts: 3608
Location: Japan
I got the same problem with trying gear too...

The Flyradical3 was a brilliant board, and I was going to go for FR4 when I lost it :( but one thing lead to another and I now have an Axis Limited 140x43 that's brilliant.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group