Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

forum for kitesurfers


kooshball
Medium Poster
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Brand Affiliation: None

2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby kooshball » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Does anyone have a size chart for the 2014 Celeritas boards? I am particularly interested in the rider weight / size range for the 5'6" one....

Thx

User avatar
cleepa
Frequent Poster
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 am
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby cleepa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:41 pm

I am 185lbs, 6ft2. I have a 2014 5ft8 Celeritas. I also owned a 2011 5ft8 Celeritas (the last Celeritas with the big fat square tail). Although the planing surface of the two boards is pretty much the same (maybe a tiny bit less with the 2014), the boards ride very different. The 2014 is much more sensitive. It also has a little less low end. Both boards are fast and go upwind well. The 2014 does a bit better on larger waves. It took me a couple of sessions to get over the loss of low end and now I love the changes in the 2014. I would definitely say if you are used to the old one and were in the middle of two sizes that you might want to think about the larger size. At my size, I felt just right on the 2011 and on the 2014 I feel like I am a little more towards being on the larger size for the board.

The 2014 is an awesome board. I will definitely ride it to death. I don't know what has got you sold on the Celeritas, but if you are coming from the original design, you will find it a different beast!

Also might be worth considering a BWS Drifter - it looks like the continuation of the original Celeritas design. I almost got one of those instead of the 2014 Celeritas.

kooshball
Medium Poster
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby kooshball » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 pm

cleepa wrote:I am 185lbs, 6ft2. I have a 2014 5ft8 Celeritas. I also owned a 2011 5ft8 Celeritas (the last Celeritas with the big fat square tail). Although the planing surface of the two boards is pretty much the same (maybe a tiny bit less with the 2014), the boards ride very different. The 2014 is much more sensitive. It also has a little less low end. Both boards are fast and go upwind well. The 2014 does a bit better on larger waves. It took me a couple of sessions to get over the loss of low end and now I love the changes in the 2014. I would definitely say if you are used to the old one and were in the middle of two sizes that you might want to think about the larger size. At my size, I felt just right on the 2011 and on the 2014 I feel like I am a little more towards being on the larger size for the board.

The 2014 is an awesome board. I will definitely ride it to death. I don't know what has got you sold on the Celeritas, but if you are coming from the original design, you will find it a different beast!

Also might be worth considering a BWS Drifter - it looks like the continuation of the original Celeritas design. I almost got one of those instead of the 2014 Celeritas.


I am looking for a one board quiver to get me into directional riding and it seems that many folks like the Celeritas...I am a good bit lighter than most people I could find who ride this board and I a concerned that they simply don't make one small enough for me (assuming the 5'6" one is too big).

I will check out your other recommendation. Thx

User avatar
cleepa
Frequent Poster
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 am
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby cleepa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 pm

BWS Drifter is going to be more fragile than the Celeritas. Might not be the best idea for learning.

I think people used to recommend the old square tail Celeritas as being good for learning. The 2014 Celeritas has a thumb tail, and is not as stable as the original square tail design.

Having said that, being a bit light/small for the 5ft6 might make it more stable for you. If someone else who is closer to your size could chime in, that would be more useful. And perhaps stability is not such a concern... I learned on a pin tail surfboard that was definitely not very stable.

A high performance board that is definitely stable is the Firewire Vanguard. I tried one for the first time last weekend. At my size, I rode a 5ft2 and didn't feel like it was too small, although I might possibly buy the next size up. The Vanguard was so stable and ate up chop so nicely that it felt like cheating. But I could still crank out big hacks on the wave. I didn't notice much in performance loss at all. So, I think the Vanguard would be the board I would recommend as a 1 board quiver beginner board. It will also provide plenty of performance - you'd never really outgrow it. But don't go for a different companies Vanguard imitation boards - they are not the same thing at all!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2775
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby BWD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 am

cleepa wrote:BWS Drifter is going to be more fragile than the Celeritas. Might not be the best idea for learning.

I think people used to recommend the old square tail Celeritas as being good for learning. The 2014 Celeritas has a thumb tail, and is not as stable as the original square tail design.

Having said that, being a bit light/small for the 5ft6 might make it more stable for you. If someone else who is closer to your size could chime in, that would be more useful. And perhaps stability is not such a concern... I learned on a pin tail surfboard that was definitely not very stable.

A high performance board that is definitely stable is the Firewire Vanguard. I tried one for the first time last weekend. At my size, I rode a 5ft2 and didn't feel like it was too small, although I might possibly buy the next size up. The Vanguard was so stable and ate up chop so nicely that it felt like cheating. But I could still crank out big hacks on the wave. I didn't notice much in performance loss at all. So, I think the Vanguard would be the board I would recommend as a 1 board quiver beginner board. It will also provide plenty of performance - you'd never really outgrow it. But don't go for a different companies Vanguard imitation boards - they are not the same thing at all!

That said the Firewire boards are way fragile compared to normal kitesurf boards

User avatar
cleepa
Frequent Poster
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 am
Kiting since: 2008
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby cleepa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:08 am

BWD wrote:That said the Firewire boards are way fragile compared to normal kitesurf boards

I've read that. I don't think it is true of the Vanguard, which uses the Firewire FST construction. That is supposed to be tougher. My friend who lent me the Vanguard uses it as his daily driver. He hasn't got any heel dents. It also survived being bounced off a rocky point several times with superficial damage. He was pretty stoked about that as he thought the board was a goner for sure.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2775
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby BWD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:30 am

Read it ridden it dinged it.
Sometimes you get dings without even knowing how.
FST is weak for kiting.
Fortunately the outer high density foam skin under the glass absorbs the brunt of it on minor dings. But it's really easy to ding IMHO. I don't know if it's the deck glass that's too light or the foam, something could be beefed up though from my point of view.

User avatar
omg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby omg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:44 am

BWD, was it the kite FST construction or normal surf FST construction you rode?

kooshball
Medium Poster
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby kooshball » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:53 am

cleepa wrote:BWS Drifter is going to be more fragile than the Celeritas. Might not be the best idea for learning.

I think people used to recommend the old square tail Celeritas as being good for learning. The 2014 Celeritas has a thumb tail, and is not as stable as the original square tail design.

Having said that, being a bit light/small for the 5ft6 might make it more stable for you. If someone else who is closer to your size could chime in, that would be more useful. And perhaps stability is not such a concern... I learned on a pin tail surfboard that was definitely not very stable.

A high performance board that is definitely stable is the Firewire Vanguard. I tried one for the first time last weekend. At my size, I rode a 5ft2 and didn't feel like it was too small, although I might possibly buy the next size up. The Vanguard was so stable and ate up chop so nicely that it felt like cheating. But I could still crank out big hacks on the wave. I didn't notice much in performance loss at all. So, I think the Vanguard would be the board I would recommend as a 1 board quiver beginner board. It will also provide plenty of performance - you'd never really outgrow it. But don't go for a different companies Vanguard imitation boards - they are not the same thing at all!


I weigh 150lbs btw...and am not too worried about the shape. I made a mistake on my twin tip and bought something that was beginner friendly and outgrew it in a few months. Not that I assume to be a great surf boar rider, I just would hate to drop that kind of money and have it last a year before I out grow it.

That said perhaps the Dialer would be worth conspiring as well?

User avatar
ulx
Frequent Poster
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:31 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller area
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot Wave SST 10,8,6 and rpm 4.5
Celeritas 5.8
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: 2014 slingshot Celeritas size chart?

Postby ulx » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 am

I weigh 176 lbs and the 5.8 is great. I haven't ridden the 5.6 but am pretty sure that it will be the right size for you.

I can't see how you could outgrow that board unless you eat too much cake and double your weight :D


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], iriejohn, Laughingman, SLiiCK and 26 guests