All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Up-to-date list of Top Airstyle kites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Guttorm wrote:
Yes the kite needs to be high aspect, but it also needs high camber, 30% more camber gives 30% more lift and it will continue lifting way better when the windspeed over the kite is getting slow, and therefore give much better consistent jump hangtime, the downside is more camber gives less range. Thick leadingedges also make higher camber and less range.

Agreed another tick for the Dyno. Camber wise and the leading edge thickness has to be seen to be believed! It's ridiculous. A mate of mine describes it well...

2011 Dyno is the best big kite for a TT. Goes fine with directionals but its exceptional with TT. It has perfect constant pull that isn't anywhere near the old style of down wind trucks of yester-year. With the large LE (which holds the kite back) and the deep draft profile (which makes it drive forward), they perfectly balance each other out to make a kite that sits in just the right spot stable as anything, where it still drives upwind but pulls with enough grunt giving you something to edge against.

As you stomp the edge with the old Dyno it doesn't surge forward, it sits there stable as can be so all the effort you've put into the pop/edging is transferred to upward pull, giving you good height. With the deep profile, this keeps you up there for a long while so the hang time is to die for.

With half a sine of the kite, ie one swoop forward, park at 10 o'clock and sheet the bar in,,,,, your off. Even when going slow board speed, the kite still pulls and again, not in a downwind truck style but upwind. As far as park and ride is concerned, this kite is the ultimate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Very important also in my opinion, in oldschool, is the ability to kite really powered (must people will consider it way overpowered). Therefor the capability of the kite to perform well powered up is important. The dyno has been stript of everything to make it light, except the 7 struts and the thick LE, which helps to keep it stable under load. This, together with other things mentioned like good depower and lots of throw will make big kites deliver.

I ride Dyno 18 too, very glad with it, but a real airstyle kite should be stronger made also. Dyno 2011 is too fragile for this use, probably not for its original purpose to race.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:55 am 
Frequent Poster

Kites with less camber and or thinner leading edge can compensate by using longer lines, to get more of the same lift where the kite stays longer inside the power window, and therefore keeps lifting for a longer time.
My Edge 19 has the highest camber I have seen on a kite even more than the 2011 Dyno 18, but a thin leading edge for the sice, so it goes to the edge of the window faster. Longer lines (32vs27m) makes a huge improvement on jumping with this kite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeh that 19m edge is a ripper kite. I had a couple of rides of one, but have spent much more on 13m's and owned the 11 and 9. I wasn't convinced it was nearly as good an airstyle kite as the dyno 2011. I would love to see a company make a modern version of it.

Still maintain though that edge is the best 'wing' I've ever flown!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:23 pm 
Rare Poster

How about your experiences with the North Rebel as Airstyle Kite? I heard for next year there will be an extra 18m version for airstyle....

Jan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Well i've just shifted out of a 7 strut 2010 edge 13m to a 5 strut 2012 edge 13m. Yep i'm a few years behind the ball game.

Any way the old 7 strutter was slower to turn and more precise in the air. I just knew where it was at any time. So intuative to fly.

The new 5 struter pehaps has more depower and is way faster turning which is a good thing in the waves...... but it feels more disconnected an vague compared to the 7 strut.

So. OLD 7 strut edge is another kite to put on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
Any way the old 7 strutter was slower to turn and more precise in the air. I just knew where it was at any time. So intuative to fly.

And that's what you need to land those tricks...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

janhantke wrote:
How about your experiences with the North Rebel as Airstyle Kite? I heard for next year there will be an extra 18m version for airstyle....

Jan

Good question for Toby, he uses a 16m 2010 I'm pretty sure....well he's better off answering it.

Yeh heard about the 18m rebel for airstyle coming out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:07 am 
Rare Poster

Guttorm wrote:
Kites with less camber and or thinner leading edge can compensate by using longer lines, to get more of the same lift where the kite stays longer inside the power window, and therefore keeps lifting for a longer time.
My Edge 19 has the highest camber I have seen on a kite even more than the 2011 Dyno 18, but a thin leading edge for the sice, so it goes to the edge of the window faster. Longer lines (32vs27m) makes a huge improvement on jumping with this kite.

Ok, so much talk about technology. I'm not into that. You know :wink:

I have tried a lot of kites since 2003

But for airstyle or oldschool the Cabrina Contra 14 made it for me (Xbow 16 did them same job btw)

A slow turning kite that really pulled me up...

720 or 1080 rotations, no problem. With downloop

For me the hangtime was more important than the height...

It's more what you are doing, and when and how you pull the trigger, ...

But of course I understand that some kites can be better than others.

But don't forget the rider..

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Agreed!

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next