Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Up-to-date list of Top Airstyle kites

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Up-to-date list of Top Airstyle kites

Postby Macisback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 am

I just updated the list and the characteristics on page 1, feel free to add comments.

I personally think the Drafts still have themost insane boost ever, but will test my new Dyno in the next days.
I will sit out the Airstyle Rebel as I am too lazy to go on a diet at the moment ;-)

But maybe I will add it as a kite for 22-30 knots and fly the Dyno from 12-22 and the Rebel above.

I could fly the Draft 17(,5) up to 25 knots, but I have to admit that it was tough on my shoulders, ellbows and wrist, because of the brutal pull/bar pressure - so I prefered to go Kiting the normal way and took the Draft 12 instead when over 22 knots. That kite is the most insane kite for loaded jumps ever...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:55 am

the nice thing about the Rebel is, that it is softer than the Dyno. But you can still feel the kite where it is.

Still, need more wind and flat water to check the real potential.

During the Airstyle Hangout in Ras Sudr I will take my Dyno 18, Rebel 18 and Proto 18. There I should have perfect winds and flat water to test the performance between the 3.
And maybe test with other Airstylers their kites to compare, I am sure there will be a Draft, Edge, Turbine etc.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Sounds good to me!

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board

Postby janhantke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:55 am

Morning,

I did test the new Draft 17 at Lake Como in winds around 20 knots and here are my two cents:

- very high bar pressure

- did move slot but not too slow

- very good de-power

- nice lift but not super high (my technique isnt very good nevertheless on the 18 Dyno and the 14th Screamer I get higher...)

- lift is good (steady sinking but no dropping) but also not as good as on Screamer and Dyno 18 (where its more of a downwards "gliding")

- needs lots of room to loop

- did also try in lowend, has good loowend down to 10 knots (im 80kg) and fairly good restart (even without extra restart system)

Go big,
Jan

janhantke
Rare Poster
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Anton + North Board

Postby janhantke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:59 am

Hi,

me again. Quick question, how do you like the Dyno 2011 18 sqm vs the 16 sqm? Im thinking about using it for the range 20-25 knots with my 80 kg.

Whats your experience with it? Folks say the depower isnt as good as with the 18 Dyno? But what about the airstyle characteristics, does it go high and provides sames hangtime + style as the 18?

Westozzy, I think you own one right? Are you happy?

Thanks so much for your input,
Jan

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:30 am

Well currently I'm taking a hit/risk for the cause...lol

One of my riding buddies now has the 16 (and my brother as well) and the 18 is on it's way to a very worthy rider somewhere else in the world as we speak. So in three weeks (being a light 73kg rider) I'm getting the 18m rebel...hope I haven't fucked up! :cry:

Anyhow, Toby has already covered this and as usual he's pretty spot on.

The 18 is almost like 2.5 sizes bigger in that is develops a truck of apparent wind coupled with that static grunt we enjoy on this kite. It's so damn stable it's stupid.

The 18 has a lot more hangtime once you effectively convert this into vertical as possible hangtime.

It is also the right speed...the 16 is pretty damn good for the basic stuff, but once you go beyond this, it can fly too fast even on the inner bar settings...can redirect it too fast..technique can sort this though to a degree.

But I wouldn't be passing up a 16 if you could get one. It's still a damn good airstyle kite, second best behind the 18m...lol!!

What I'm saying is we aren't all going to take it to Toby's level are we. For 99 percent of us the 16 is just fine. My bro and my mate have a ball. And me too, if I sit on the beach for long enough staring out like a lost puppy they invariably come in and give me a crack....might be me standing on the beach randomly adjusting my harness without my own kite that could be the hint...bahahahha

Hope it helps...for general airstyle it's real good. And yeh the depowering thing is weird on the 16 ...harder for some reason to control your speed when really lit, but hey it's a matter of grabbing what ya can at the moment...and you won't be dissapointed. I suppose the 16 is better for more aggressive powered airstyle...don't try and do to much or you may find yourself heading one way and the kite the other as you redirect to fast....lol. Speaking from experience.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:42 am

I preferred the 18 due to better depower. Once the 16 gets speed you can't stop it, 18 can be more controlled. And this leads to better edging for jump on 18, specially the lighter you are.

Great lift and hangtime!

janhantke
Rare Poster
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia