All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:38 am 
Medium Poster

Hey Vilaprea - next time maybe try the title - 'Naish Draft info wanted'

If your only interested in Slow turning Naish Drafts ;)

We get it on other forums as well....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 am 
Very Frequent Poster

vilaprea wrote:
Taut: have you tried the 2015 Draft vs the 2014, do you think it's worth forking out an extra $250 for the new model? It's the difference in price I have found so far...

I have not yet tried the 2015. I am upgrading mine though. What I heard was they have tightened up the 14, made it even more geared towards jumping, and they have added a 10.5 which are the size I wanted last year :-)

Re unstable: I've ridden 9 through 17 sized drafts in extremely gusty and shifty conditions. A buddy just had his 9 out in 6 meter wind...No problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have many ( :D ) '07 Raven 3's and still use them now and again - I have a 9m & 12m '14 Draft and previously had the 14m & 17m.

The Drafts are very user friendly and easy to boost and glide with very decent results. As T says they are easy to boost in almost any situation and do not require the precision of the Raven to use them well. Overall, both kites performance in height is similar, but the Draft has a better glide phase & is easier to use.

The 9m & 12m Drafts are great kites, feel very positive - the 9m goes very well in 30knots and more. I was less impressed by the 14m & 17m - they seemed a little unstable and to me this was the result of the reduced number of struts not really working nicely with the bridle. This was less noticeable in lightwind use, but I stopped using them going out very lit/at the outer edge of their windrange, as they felt unstable, almost as if they needed more psi (they were pumped v hard). In comparison, I am happy using my 17m Ozone Edge up to 25 knots and it is a beast - but requires far more input/technique, but has more performance than either the Draft or Raven 3.

ps Interesting video from Dimitri, worth mentioning that timing of a jump should coincide with hitting a wave and ideally be careful in onshore winds, so that you don't almost land on other kiters heads... eh Dimitri :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 am 
Medium Poster

thx for the input Russian

yeah proper timing with an incoming wave and hitting it with decent speed makes a big difference in terms of height i think

what are your thoughts regarding line lenghts and high jumps with 7 or 9 m kites... 20 or 24 m lines?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

vilaprea wrote:
thx for the input Russian

yeah proper timing with an incoming wave and hitting it with decent speed makes a big difference in terms of height i think

what are your thoughts regarding line lenghts and high jumps with 7 or 9 m kites... 20 or 24 m lines?

24m all the time :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 am 
Medium Poster

Dont mean to hijack the thread here but im also in the market for a 7m high wind kite to replace my 09 waroo. im considering the draft and the switchblade both from 13 to 14. I always buy unused kites that are one or two years old. i mention these two cuz i think i found not too bad deals for them.

I want something that jumps big, isn't too fast , doesnt have high bar pressure and goes upwind well. oh and depowers well, important for a 7m.

Im a little sceptic on the cabrinha mainly because i got an xbow to replace my 08 10m nemesis (best kite i ever had, for me) yes it was ok the xbow, more hangtime and more stable but less upwind, more bar pressure, less lift and slower kite in general. i also tried a cult (must have been a 12m, and seemed ok but just ok, wind wasnt the best to be honest).

So has anyone tried both the draft and the switch at 7m? how would they compare?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

red_eye1980 wrote:
Dont mean to hijack the thread here but im also in the market for a 7m high wind kite to replace my 09 waroo. im considering the draft and the switchblade both from 13 to 14. I always buy unused kites that are one or two years old. i mention these two cuz i think i found not too bad deals for them.

I want something that jumps big, isn't too fast , doesnt have high bar pressure and goes upwind well. oh and depowers well, important for a 7m.

Im a little sceptic on the cabrinha mainly because i got an xbow to replace my 08 10m nemesis (best kite i ever had, for me) yes it was ok the xbow, more hangtime and more stable but less upwind, more bar pressure, less lift and slower kite in general. i also tried a cult (must have been a 12m, and seemed ok but just ok, wind wasnt the best to be honest).

So has anyone tried both the draft and the switch at 7m? how would they compare?

Damn you should have been with us last week on Rhodes. We were doing demos and everything we converted some (otherbrand) beliebers. No we are on Paros sadly wind has been shitty but Dimitri is staying for a a while.

I'm very sure for you and the topic starter to give the Epic Screamers 7 and 9m a chance... they will definitly be something you are looking for. Hangtime and boosting is what it does best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 pm 
Medium Poster

I also love then Raven III's. Great fun high wind boosting kites... Bigger sizes 10m plus are not so special.... Its the 8m and 9m which are the best!

I'm impressed with the newer high aspect ratio high depower kites like the Ozone Edge, but they still lack the C-kite feel of being wrenched off the water which is why I'm still sticking with the Ravens in small sizes

I also have a 7m Raven which I picked up a while back on Ebay.... I've not got around to flying it yet though as it needs a repair!

A couple of looping shots from my 8m Raven below :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

dave1986 wrote:
I'm impressed with the newer high aspect ratio high depower kites like the Ozone Edge, but they still lack the C-kite feel of being wrenched off the water which is why I'm still sticking with the Ravens in small sizes

IMHO small Edges (when used lit) have every bit as much wrench and boost as a Raven 3. The Raven 3 8m was special (I still have mine :D ), but the 7&10m Edges are every bit as good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 am 
Frequent Poster

great pics (and moves) Dave :thumb:

seems a great flat windy spot :D

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next