Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
ShaveTheWhales
Frequent Poster
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:28 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:38 am

Hey Vilaprea - next time maybe try the title - 'Naish Draft info wanted'

If your only interested in Slow turning Naish Drafts ;)

We get it on other forums as well....

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9266
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 am

vilaprea wrote:Taut: have you tried the 2015 Draft vs the 2014, do you think it's worth forking out an extra $250 for the new model? It's the difference in price I have found so far...


I have not yet tried the 2015. I am upgrading mine though. What I heard was they have tightened up the 14, made it even more geared towards jumping, and they have added a 10.5 which are the size I wanted last year :-)

Re unstable: I've ridden 9 through 17 sized drafts in extremely gusty and shifty conditions. A buddy just had his 9 out in 6 meter wind...No problem.

User avatar
TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hayling Island, UK

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby TheRussian » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm

I have many ( :D ) '07 Raven 3's and still use them now and again - I have a 9m & 12m '14 Draft and previously had the 14m & 17m.

The Drafts are very user friendly and easy to boost and glide with very decent results. As T says they are easy to boost in almost any situation and do not require the precision of the Raven to use them well. Overall, both kites performance in height is similar, but the Draft has a better glide phase & is easier to use.

The 9m & 12m Drafts are great kites, feel very positive - the 9m goes very well in 30knots and more. I was less impressed by the 14m & 17m - they seemed a little unstable and to me this was the result of the reduced number of struts not really working nicely with the bridle. This was less noticeable in lightwind use, but I stopped using them going out very lit/at the outer edge of their windrange, as they felt unstable, almost as if they needed more psi (they were pumped v hard). In comparison, I am happy using my 17m Ozone Edge up to 25 knots and it is a beast - but requires far more input/technique, but has more performance than either the Draft or Raven 3.

ps Interesting video from Dimitri, worth mentioning that timing of a jump should coincide with hitting a wave and ideally be careful in onshore winds, so that you don't almost land on other kiters heads... eh Dimitri :wink:

User avatar
vilaprea
Medium Poster
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 12:18 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: RPM's
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Prea, Brasil

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby vilaprea » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 am

thx for the input Russian

yeah proper timing with an incoming wave and hitting it with decent speed makes a big difference in terms of height i think

what are your thoughts regarding line lenghts and high jumps with 7 or 9 m kites... 20 or 24 m lines?

User avatar
TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hayling Island, UK

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby TheRussian » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 am

vilaprea wrote:thx for the input Russian

yeah proper timing with an incoming wave and hitting it with decent speed makes a big difference in terms of height i think

what are your thoughts regarding line lenghts and high jumps with 7 or 9 m kites... 20 or 24 m lines?


24m all the time :D

red_eye1980
Medium Poster
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:34 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ixia, Kremasti, Prasonisi on the island of Rhodes
Favorite Beaches: Have not travelled to kite yet but been in Cabarette Dom Rep and seemed nice.
Style: Free ride
Gear: Rhino 2006 10m, Havoc 2007 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Rhodes Greece

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby red_eye1980 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 am

Dont mean to hijack the thread here but im also in the market for a 7m high wind kite to replace my 09 waroo. im considering the draft and the switchblade both from 13 to 14. I always buy unused kites that are one or two years old. i mention these two cuz i think i found not too bad deals for them.

I want something that jumps big, isn't too fast , doesnt have high bar pressure and goes upwind well. oh and depowers well, important for a 7m.

Im a little sceptic on the cabrinha mainly because i got an xbow to replace my 08 10m nemesis (best kite i ever had, for me) yes it was ok the xbow, more hangtime and more stable but less upwind, more bar pressure, less lift and slower kite in general. i also tried a cult (must have been a 12m, and seemed ok but just ok, wind wasnt the best to be honest).

So has anyone tried both the draft and the switch at 7m? how would they compare?

User avatar
Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:58 pm
Kiting since: 0
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Location: the netherlands / Epic Affiliated

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby Geronimo79 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm

red_eye1980 wrote:Dont mean to hijack the thread here but im also in the market for a 7m high wind kite to replace my 09 waroo. im considering the draft and the switchblade both from 13 to 14. I always buy unused kites that are one or two years old. i mention these two cuz i think i found not too bad deals for them.

I want something that jumps big, isn't too fast , doesnt have high bar pressure and goes upwind well. oh and depowers well, important for a 7m.

Im a little sceptic on the cabrinha mainly because i got an xbow to replace my 08 10m nemesis (best kite i ever had, for me) yes it was ok the xbow, more hangtime and more stable but less upwind, more bar pressure, less lift and slower kite in general. i also tried a cult (must have been a 12m, and seemed ok but just ok, wind wasnt the best to be honest).

So has anyone tried both the draft and the switch at 7m? how would they compare?


Damn you should have been with us last week on Rhodes. We were doing demos and everything we converted some (otherbrand) beliebers. No we are on Paros sadly wind has been shitty but Dimitri is staying for a a while.

I'm very sure for you and the topic starter to give the Epic Screamers 7 and 9m a chance... they will definitly be something you are looking for. Hangtime and boosting is what it does best.

dave1986
Medium Poster
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 3:25 am

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby dave1986 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 pm

I also love then Raven III's. Great fun high wind boosting kites... Bigger sizes 10m plus are not so special.... Its the 8m and 9m which are the best!

I'm impressed with the newer high aspect ratio high depower kites like the Ozone Edge, but they still lack the C-kite feel of being wrenched off the water which is why I'm still sticking with the Ravens in small sizes

I also have a 7m Raven which I picked up a while back on Ebay.... I've not got around to flying it yet though as it needs a repair!

A couple of looping shots from my 8m Raven below :D

Image

Image

User avatar
TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hayling Island, UK

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby TheRussian » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:29 am

dave1986 wrote:I'm impressed with the newer high aspect ratio high depower kites like the Ozone Edge, but they still lack the C-kite feel of being wrenched off the water which is why I'm still sticking with the Ravens in small sizes


IMHO small Edges (when used lit) have every bit as much wrench and boost as a Raven 3. The Raven 3 8m was special (I still have mine :D ), but the 7&10m Edges are every bit as good.

poldo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:01 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Italy

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby poldo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 am

great pics (and moves) Dave :thumb:

seems a great flat windy spot :D


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bushflyr, Yahoo [Bot] and 20 guests