All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ripcurl Flashbomb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 am 
Frequent Poster

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone in a colder climate uses a Flashbomb wetsuit for kiting? If so, can you please tell me how it works in the wind in like 10C? It is suppossed to be a surfing wetsuit, but I know RRD has the same model in their lineup so I wonder if it is any good for kiting.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Ripcurl Flashbomb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 am 
Medium Poster

jedi1 wrote:
tell me how it works in the wind in like 10C?

I can't comment on Flashbomb specifically, but for temperatures 2 - 10C I typically use a 5/4 wetsuit with hood, gloves and boots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am 
Frequent Poster

RalfsB wrote:
jedi1 wrote:
tell me how it works in the wind in like 10C?

I can't comment on Flashbomb specifically, but for temperatures 2 - 10C I typically use a 5/4 wetsuit with hood, gloves and boots.

Yes, but wetsuits differ much between each other and also temperature sense for people. In air temperature like 10C and water around 10C I am not exactly comfortable in my 5/3 NPX Assassin wetsuit, even with neoprene accessories. In the water it is fine, but I feel the wind chill a lot. That's why I ask about how Flashbomb handles that. I've heard that windsurfing wetsuits are the best for wind chill, but those are not flexible as surfing wetsuits. Flashbomb would seem like a nice one, because of the fast drying material, as I find that I feel the wind chill much more in a wet wetsuit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:59 am 
Rare Poster

Hey, Flashbomb is perfect, I'm using the 5/3 in winter in NZ, the coldest I tried is 8°C in water and -2°C in the air, you body stay warm, the issue is your foot and finger.

Cheers

Thibaud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:24 am 
Medium Poster

jedi1 wrote:
I am not exactly comfortable in my 5/3 NPX Assassin

Mine is NPX Zealot, the hooded one. Just checked, they say it is 6/5/4. When it is around 10C, it is comfortable for a quite long time. At about 2C - 4C I feel ok for maybe an hour (depends on time spent swimming).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I've got a hooded 6/5/4 and I sweat like a horse in 0 degrees C... If I had a hood I reckon I could get away with my 4/3 in that weather... But 5/4 would be more comfortable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 pm 
Rare Poster

It's a great wetsuit - probably the best I've had since starting to kitesurf. I'm based on the S Coast UK. I Kite all year round - coldest temps being around 0-2 degrees C with water temps from 4-7 degrees. I have a 5/4/3 & in the depths of winter wear it with a hood, 1.5mm gloves and 3mm boots. As a previous poster mentioned the biggest problem is hands and feet. Or for me specifically - hands. It's really flexible & has smoothskin on the chest and more importantly the back which really helps keep the core warm.

The thing with the Flashbomb is also that it will dry super fast. I went to Tiree last October with a mate who wears a Psycho 3 & we kited every day for a week. My flashbomb would be dry in the morning whilst he had to put his on minging wet.... :lol:

HOWEVER - it's ALL about the fit. if another suit fits you better.... buy that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:10 pm 
Medium Poster

I have the 3/2 flashbomb, before that, about 3 generations of the 3/2 F-bomb. I really feel like my newest flashbomb is more flimsy in the shoulders. The neoprene wore out faster than usual. I use it for surfing and kiting, and did way less surfing this year than normal so the shoulders didn't take as much stress as normal.

My buddy left a mid-grade quicksilver 3/2 behind and I have been using that. Honestly it goes on easier and is only slightly less warm over an hour or so.

Of course anyone's take on warmth is subjective.

In cold wind I have been putting on a 1.5 shirt over my 3/2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks guys for the responses. It gives me an idea that a surfing wetsuit might fit kiting as well. Flashbomb seems really interesting because of that fast drying material, I'll go to a shop and see if it fits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm loving mine. (F-bomb hooded 6/5/4). Great fit, super warm, dries super fast. Was using it through the winter in Central Europe. Sometimes I was using a Spraytop to reduce the windchill further more, but also works well without. And I could use it towards spring without getting too hot and then switch to a 5/3 in April/May.
10C should be no problem at all.

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next