Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you remember landing your first kiteloop?

Forum for kitesurfers
JaZone
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Do you remember landing your first kiteloop?

Postby JaZone » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:27 am

I would like to know how long it was before you tried doing a kiteloop.

I've watched a lot of videos online , and this is something I'd like to try eventually , but I want to make sure I don't get damaged trying to learn how to do it. Kiteloops are one of the more extreme tricks to this sport, which if done incorrectly could result in some serious injuries , so I thought I'd get some feedback on how others learned how to do it.

I've seen tutorials where guys do it unhooked, which seems a lot harder to me. But I was also thinking that if you are hooked in and it goes wrong , you might be in for a pretty hard landing as well.

What's the easiest way to go about learning how to perfect this ?
unhooked , or hooked in?
light wind with a small kite?

one tutorial I watched , the guy said to start looping the kite from lower in the window so you don't get as much height , so the crash won't be as hard , if you don't make it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Do you remember landing your first kiteloop?

Postby edt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 am

the progression is 1st kiteloop is on the surface with board pointing downwind, 2nd kiteloop is a low kiteloop useful for jesus walk or darkslide, 3rd kiteloop is low backroll kiteloop, 4th step is not a kiteloop but a megajump and a downloop just to get you comfortable with the kite being horizontol but no yank yet 5th kiteloop is a helicopter megajump kiteloop jump high in the air and don't pull on the way up, pull on the way down the kite will helicopter, 6th step is the megaloop go out in strong wind about 25 knots with a small kite, 7meters is good, and start the kiteloop before you reach the top. If you have huge balls go straight to step 6 a lot of times people will nail it on their first try. Others like to do the full 6 steps. There might be other steps in there I can't think of yet, but I like to take my learning slow and one step at a time, it takes me so long to learn new things.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:55 am

The best way to get comfortable with loops is to learn to transition with a downloop (i.e., pulling with front hand on tack #1). Start with a heelside to toeside transition, and as your board moves downwind and then on to the toeside tack, downloop the kite and follow it around to the new tack. Begin in light wind, use a smaller (less powered) kite, and stay hooked in. Commit to the loop and, once it's initiated, don't change your mind. Looping when your board is pointed downwind takes the punch out of the kite and will make more advanced/powered loops less intimidating.

woodfu
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby woodfu » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 am

FLandOBX wrote:The best way to get comfortable with loops is to learn to transition with a downloop (i.e., pulling with front hand on tack #1). Start with a heelside to toeside transition, and as your board moves downwind and then on to the toeside tack, downloop the kite and follow it around to the new tack. Begin in light wind, use a smaller (less powered) kite, and stay hooked in. Commit to the loop and, once it's initiated, don't change your mind. Looping when your board is pointed downwind takes the punch out of the kite and will make more advanced/powered loops less intimidating.

This is the best way in my opinion as well. When you're comfortable you could progress to doing small jumps and pulling a kiteloop at the top. Do this when you're not so high that a landing without the kite will damage you, and just get a feel for what happens when you loop it. You can practice this with bigger kites in light wind. Once you're serious about going big you'll need a small kite and lots of wind. I will say though, its hard giving suggestions without knowing what level you're at.

Do not go out in 30kn with a 9m and pull hard on the way up off a ramp your first time, unless you're into hospitals, broken gear and shattered dreams.

Also get a C kite if you're serious about loops. Nothing loops as well as a torch imo :heartface:

wetdog
Medium Poster

Postby wetdog » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 am

Any videos of how this is done?

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:53 am

I learnt by:

Riding along
Point board downwind
Do a kiteloop without leaving the water

Then try jumping/popping downwind before you loop.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 am

Yeah, well said about the downloops.

They really do help you get the hang of the downwind pull, if you leave them later and later you get more and more downwind pull.

You land very fast from a proper megaloop, I had my GPS on one day as I was swapping between speed board and twin tip. I clocked over 35 knots on a megaloop.

25-30 knots on a fast 7m C kite is the way to go. Just jump higher than 15-20 feet for starters that way you won't have any issue with the kite not catching you. Just remember to push that bar out to get the kite back above you.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 pm

one reason megaloops have a dangerous reputation is so few videos teaching you how to do them, but here are two that might help

for light wind i like the progression video

for more advanced kiteloops this one is decent

my translation of the french is

"go out lit 9 meters in 25 knots, once you start you must commit, and pull hard. After the kite loops push the bar out so the kite catches you and land with the board pointed downwind. if you have to bail, land on your butt, save your knees." My translation is suspect if you are french please fix it.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Funny. I do. It was the very first one I ever tried! I've gone downhill since lol....or maybe just wisend up more. Was ready for my first one two years into kiting. Powered on a 12. Went into my back roll and yanked on the bar. Grunted around, landed hard and fast and rode away. I knew I had done it when I realized for the first time after a back roll my lines were not crossed. Had a lot of hard landing since. It's really not my style. I only "use" looping now when I need or want the power. I like smooth, mellow and soulful. Plus they scare the shite out of me.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:00 pm

All good advice.

I certainly remember my first attempt. Wrong style of kite altogether and a 13m at that. Pretty stupid and payed with a few weeks of crappy sleep waiting for ribs to heal. Still have a lovely bumpy reminder.

Later..... much later, landed the first few with a 9m.

I definitely work on anything loop oriented when on 11m or under in the bottom half of the wind range. Once you start getting the timing you will naturally stretch it to the kites propper range and play with whatever application you want the loop to be, ie. transition, straight loop, with a back roll. etc.

I do remember a bit of a eurika moment when out in pretty big winds on a tiny kite and it looped so quickly it happened by accident. Little kites can be a lot of fun to loop without feeling like your going to die, and eventually looping little kites just becomes a regular part of riding to keep the kite where you want it. So little kites is another great way to get started..... again, in their lower wind ranges.

Return to “Kitesurfing”