All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Convert North Quad Bar into single line flag out?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:07 pm 
Frequent Poster

Because of safety issues with the low Y on my Naish Draft kites (see my earlier post) I want to convert my 2012 North Quad bars into single line (oneof the power lines) flag out bars.

I would love to keep the stopper ball unit and the adjuster as I really like them.

Anyone ever done this?
Any suggestions?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Convert North Quad Bar into single line flag out?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

you can convert if you buy a swivel like for instance a naish swivel and then splice new leaders lines and safeties to the correct length. You might want to borrow a single line system and see how it works before converting your quad trust.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

A guy here did the same http://www.kiteforum.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58513

It's in Polish, but you'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

Westozzy mentioned the 2015 north features a single flaging out line!
Maybe an option?

The polish is a bit hard to understand - I di not understand how he used the stopper ball?

I think with a swivel and new lines it will be possible, at the end of the day its just the power lines system connected to the safety/cchicken loop in the middle of the bar, I could basically use a lot of different systems for mix and match I guess!

Need to keep the Microloop though!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Macisback wrote:
I think with a swivel and new lines it will be possible, at the end of the day its just the power lines system connected to the safety/cchicken loop in the middle of the bar, I could basically use a lot of different systems for mix and match I guess!

Need to keep the Microloop though!

Yeah, that's the ultimate bar a north 2012 with the microloop and the mini 5th safety switched out with a swivel for single line flagging. I'm not real fond of the naish swivels by the way the swivel don't really work that well, I just recommended it because I know it is easy to buy a naish swivel by itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I have heard good things about the mutiny swivel is it?

viewtopic.php?t=2384830&p=841179

But I have never personally found one that I can trust hence always go for below the bar swivel.

But hey one down below and one at top (aka switch) why not.

Cheaper than buying a 2015 bar at $618 Australian, that's right $618!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

Great stuff!

Maybe I am just to stupid, but I dont get it how exactly it works at the swivel with the stopper ball?

I mean, the flag out line (one of the power/front lines goes from the bridle on the fronttube to the swivel, from there into the swivel and beside the depower mechanism through the barhole through the safety mechanism and ends on a metal ring where the safety leash is hooked in. If released, the bar and the other three lines can travel so far up unti the kite has no more power?

Now the stopper ball is for keeping the two front lines the same length, as one front line is attached at the swivel and one goes through the middle, then the sie of the swivel, so the stopper ball avoids that line getting pulled out further, but how does it then still enable the bar to travel up? Does the line only have a small knot below the stopper ball which can travel easily through the barhole?
Do some swivels only use small holes, so a knot does the job?
How safe is that - can it get stuck?

Thanks for enlightening me!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

most single line flags have a hole that is too big for the elastic line to go through but small enough for the kite line to easily pass. If you throw the safety the bar shoots up and the line passes through the hole.

ozone (and some other bars) has a special system where the flag out hole is about a half inch around so all the lines go through it. They need to make something to narrow the hole, so all they do is add this red stopper. It doesn't actually "stop" anything, what it does is narrow the hole.

Hope that is enough for you to understand. Just skip the polish stuff, it's really hard to obtain the ozone style "V" piece, you would already have to own an ozone bar and part it up. If you have a swivel you will not need that stopper ball at all.

What you want to do is figure out which swivel you want, buy it and then hook it all up, changing the leaders, lines, and maybe sewing a strap.

NEVER use a knot (unless it is q-power line and q-powerline doesnt work well with these types of safeties). The safety must rely on the fact that the safety line between the bar and the swivel is thick and won't go through the small hole, while the line is small and does pass easily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

Great, now I fully understand! Only how to make the line from thick to thin, how could that be done? Linecover, sewing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

no sleeving ever on these safeties. Sleeving will stick in the safety and cause it to fail. You have to splice everything.

The safety line that goes from the chicken loop to the V connector is about 2 or 3 times thicker than a kite line and must be spliced on both ends.

You use a lark's head to connect from the kite line to the safety line.

Of course you are going to have to learn how to splice in order to make this because with a custom bar you will have custom length safeties.

Remember all 4 lines that go from the bar to the kite are always equal length. You don't want an extra long line that goes all the way from the kite to the chicken loop that would be so hard to replace.

The extra length that goes from the V to the chicken loop is always a different and thicker line than the kite line.

You really need to grab a naish, ozone, liquid force or other bar with single line flagging. Everything is obvious once you see how it works on a regular bar.

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next