All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: old kite turned strutless
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I had an old 12m with struts failing so I took them all off. I had a session on it today 12-15 knots. Worked like a charm. Some companies do the stitching across the lenght of the strut and if you have a medium to low aspect where the struts stand up straight while on the beach you bend them with the sand on and the seams fail. The conical seams do not do it. I should be stitching consultant or something. :lol:
Anyways if you have a kite that fails like that you can turn it into a custom cloud. Strut repairs are too expensive because of time involved.

Attachments:
2014-07-27 15.29.44.jpg
2014-07-27 15.29.44.jpg [ 96.97 KIB | Viewed 1294 times ]
2014-07-27 15.27.49.jpg
2014-07-27 15.27.49.jpg [ 97.81 KIB | Viewed 1294 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: old kite turned strutless
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice work!

Can you tell us what changes you might have noticed in the kite's behavior? Any change in windward performance, stability, depower, light wind limits, relaunch etc?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

For me 72 kg 12m is for light wind or 22 knots airstyle. So this kite is no airstyle no more just light wind. I went out on a 7' foot surfboard and the kite had more pull for sure when the wind dropped off to 6-8 knots the kite didn't. Overall the kite lost it's range. It works well in steady light wind with no big bar movements. It's a keeper for light wind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

Have you tried water relaunching it ?
You're fortunate to have an old 12m with 45 degree wingtips for water relaunch.
Otherwise, the canopy would stick on the water and stay there.

By the way, what is your kite brand, year and model ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Genius. I am tempted to do this to an old fuel I have because I have too many 15's right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks for posting. I had just removed some struts off an old 2005 c-kite, but have not yet test flown it. My plan was to remove a pair of struts at a time and refly the kite. I am curious as to how each strut affects the flying performance of the kite. I would remove the center strut last (if at all), as I suspect this one is the most important. I'd be curious to hear more stories of strut removal. I just used a seam ripper. Each pair of struts removed, shaves about a pound off the weight of the kite.
Europ2 wrote:
By the way, what is your kite brand, year and model ?

Looks like a 2008 Airush Vapor2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

next, you might consider leaving off the fifth line and putting on a bridle to recover some top end (if you haven't done so already)...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 am 
Frequent Poster

no experience in completely strutless but I've seen an old Rhino 2007 16m been cutted 4 of the 8 bladders (leaving the one in centre and other 2) going well in light wind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

marlboroughman wrote:
For me 72 kg 12m is for light wind or 22 knots airstyle. So this kite is no airstyle no more just light wind. I went out on a 7' foot surfboard and the kite had more pull for sure when the wind dropped off to 6-8 knots the kite didn't. Overall the kite lost it's range. It works well in steady light wind with no big bar movements. It's a keeper for light wind.

do you have picture of your newly became strutless kite in the air? i'm pretty sure its canopy is folding near the leading edge. you can not have nice powerful wing profile with thin airush vapor leading edge without the struts.
for strutless wing you have to have thick leading edge which is acting as the front part of the wings profile.

and why can't you repair the struts for yourself? struts are the easiest part

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It is Vapor II 12m. The canopy folds behind the leading edge when I open the bar when hit with 18 knots but in 12-15 knot range it is completely filled. The leading edge is actually thick on this kite but the profile is also deep. I could fix the struts but it is old kite so I am going to have fun with it. If you want to take the struts off partially actually go for center and the last ones on the wing, just my gut feeling. I am contemplating making two mini struts just say 10" behind the leading edge to prevent the folding in higher winds but keeping the light weight or if I get my hands on some vinyl/plastic flats to make battens all the way to the leading edge. I didn't drop the kite yet. Will wait for session in shallow water to experiment. 8)

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next