Forum for kitesurfers
overboard
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo: Heat Drysuit

Postby overboard » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:09 am

Going back to the subject of gloves I have found that Dakine mitts are the only ones that keep my hands warm in all conditions. Having the fingers in contact with each other probably helps to reduce heat loss. The palm is made from a thinner material so provides reasonable feel and grip.

In respect to a fleece I have always used a Snugpak Weezle Microdive Suit which is a one piece suit and is made in two thicknesses. I have both but find the thinner one keeps me warm in most conditions. The fleece wicks moisture away from the body and is very effective. In the earlier OR suits I used to find that the outside of the Weezle was always decidedly damp at the end of a session, although the inside was still dry .After a good few sessions it became a bit smelly and needed a wash. However with the Soul this is no longer the case so the breathable material rearly works well.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:46 pm

overboard wrote:Going back to the subject of gloves I have found that Dakine mitts are the only ones that keep my hands warm in all conditions. Having the fingers in contact with each other probably helps to reduce heat loss. The palm is made from a thinner material so provides reasonable feel and grip. ...
Yup. I just can't deal with mittens, though. They're warm but there is always something I end up needing fingers for...usually after my kite is in the air and I'm holding it down in a gusty frigid breeze. Thick gloves suck also, though...you get that arm fatique from bending all that neoprene and gripping a bar through thick neo...

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 pm

overboard wrote:After a good few sessions it became a bit smelly and needed a wash. However with the Soul this is no longer the case so the breathable material really works well.
Fantastic to hear Overboard... I noticed the same thing.

Our new breathable material is great at helping avoid this issue but also allows you to get away with wearing the suit in the shoulder months when the older suits would become too hot (and sweaty, leading to what you described) .

As an FYI, NikWax makes a great product called T.X.Direct which is an easily applied spray on rejuvenator for your suit's waterproof barrier. This barrier will start to breakdown over time and will lead to some damp seepage into the suit's materials, which can also reduce your suit's breathability... I'd highly recommend a seasonal application of T.X.Direct to keep your suit dry and breathing well!

danielkeder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Neusiedler
Favorite Beaches: Neusiedler, Asilah (Oman)
Gear: ozone catalyst

Postby danielkeder » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:26 am

hi there!

how often should the nikwax direct be applied? Once per season is enough or it can/shoudl be done more often?

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:33 am

Can be applied as often as you like... there is no harm in application. However, as a rule of thumb I would say under normal use once a season is plenty.

In essence, if you feel that your suit's material is absorbing water (and therefore both becoming "damp" on the inside and less breathable) then be sure to fully dry the suit out and re-apply the DWR coating.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:47 am

Ive one of the Soul suits(picked up a few months ago) and love it. The only problem i have with it is when I'm so stoked to get in the water and don't zip up the suit. Tends to leak when its not zipped up lol.
For real though, remember to double check them zippers when your heading out, i hear om not the only one!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:03 pm

atomic-chomik wrote:For real though, remember to double check them zippers when your heading out, i hear om not the only one!
Far more common than you'd think. People use the suit in Standby Mode and then forget to close... I've done so, had to close it on the water!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 pm

You really have to make sure to pull that zipper to the end. That last little bit takes a little extra tug on my Pyro pro to seal things up 100%. I was out today North of Boston , A little snow and sleet, 34degrees F. Warm as a baby in her mommas arms. Drysuit is the only way to go IMO..and Ocean Rodeo makes the best!!!!!

tinge
Medium Poster
Local Beach: vestfjorden
Favorite Beaches: hua hin thailand, best so far.
Style: newbe
Gear: blade beast 10, naish cult 13,5 mystic harness,

Postby tinge » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:08 am

So last night i got my Heat dry suit in the mail.
:P
Looks great. So now i need wind....
Cant wait to try the suit in the water . I guess it`s gona be cold. forecast says 2*c and 9ms in the next days.

Only thing i wonder about, why is'`nt the turtle neck closer to the neck? it`s a litle to big diameter .
If i had snug fit it would look more like a normal jacket.

tinge
Medium Poster
Local Beach: vestfjorden
Favorite Beaches: hua hin thailand, best so far.
Style: newbe
Gear: blade beast 10, naish cult 13,5 mystic harness,

Postby tinge » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:21 am

So now i have tested the heat dry suit ..

And i love it :thumb:

2 hours on the water and just a litle damp on my right arm sleve.
This happend after a big wipe out, and i think i put my arm out just before i hit the water.

I will recomend this to all kiters in my area.
its well worth it
:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”