All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Suggestions for new Foiling Basics videos
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

So guys,

I have covered the big 4 now.

So which how to videos would you like to see me produce next?

--
Gunnar

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions for new Foiling Basics videos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:31 am 
Frequent Poster

I've planned to make following but your last two videos are so perfect I hope you would accomplish some of these please:

1. Simple jump and landing basics. High jumps. Big air.
2. Backloop and multibackloops
3. Frontloop
4. Kiteloop
5. Riding waves
6. Launching from 60-70cm deep water
7. Classic tack
8. Presentation of different type of boards (TT, wave, race) and their ultimate conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:35 am 
Rare Poster

For me as foil-beginner it would be interesting to see better the exact position in the Kite at each of Your movements in the Vid. You tell us how the kite has to stand, but i would like to see more totals from a farer view in comparisation to the nearer shots.

Thank You for Your great work - at this place! :thumb:

Also i would be interested more in Vids using flysurferkites or equals as You did some years ago becaus i have no other big kites and they seem to be different to handle at foiling - i mean the exact timing of the kiteposition seems to be different to the inflatables or am i wrong here?

Also i would be interested in a strapless start in marginal wind cond. Now i use a front-strap but i didnt have the eggs to try complete strapless so far.. :baby:

Also interesting for me - comparisations in behavour between Your new magma-foil and the old one i ride.. How to do things here and there This is not to talk about ranking brands. Just for hig-low aspect foiling-differences...

edited later: the totals are enogh when seeing it over and over again! Good work!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:46 pm 
Medium Poster

Can you do a video of how to do a foiling 360 (not a jump but in the water), and I have seen videos where it seems the rider does a tack but then rides off toeside. I dont know what this is called but it looks cool and I cant get my head around it. Can you video and explain that move?
cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Slyde wrote:
Can you do a video of how to do a foiling 360 (not a jump but in the water), and I have seen videos where it seems the rider does a tack but then rides off toeside. I dont know what this is called but it looks cool and I cant get my head around it. Can you video and explain that move?
cheers

Take a look at the thread Gunnar started, where both his and Bracuru's and Zeeko videos are gathered: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2385015&start=10

The 360 you look for has been covered a couple of times, and really an awesome move (but I find it difficult strapless, the last 1/3 of it, but I am a slow learner):

A tack, and riding toeside, has not been covered though, you are right :naughty:
But I think it speaks for itself, how to do this, right ?

8) PF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Heimo wrote:
For me as foil-beginner it would be interesting to see better the exact position in the Kite at each of Your movements in the Vid. You tell us how the kite has to stand, but i would like to see more totals from a farer view in comparisation to the nearer shots.

Thank You for Your great work - at this place! :thumb:

Also i would be interested more in Vids using flysurferkites or equals as You did some years ago becaus i have no other big kites and they seem to be different to handle at foiling - i mean the exact timing of the kiteposition seems to be different to the inflatables or am i wrong here?

Also i would be interested in a strapless start in marginal wind cond. Now i use a front-strap but i didnt have the eggs to try complete strapless so far.. :baby:

Also interesting for me - comparisations in behavour between Your new magma-foil and the old one i ride.. How to do things here and there This is not to talk about ranking brands. Just for hig-low aspect foiling-differences...

edited later: the totals are enogh when seeing it over and over again! Good work!

Hello Heimo !

I was about to comment, that I dont think you will "gain" anything by getting into more details regarding kite position and any differences from foils to LEI's.

It is all about having an idea of approximately knowing where the kite should be, and everything else is practice practice practice to get it dialed.

But I see in your edit, that you have realised that, cool :rollgrin:

Gunnars videos are an example of perfect instructionals IMO, can not see anything that could be handled better :thumb:

And as said in another thread, regarding strapless starts with big LEI kites and slower foil kites (big ones), and sometimes also smaller kites when low wind, the trick is to hold the board edged with your backhand much longer than with smaller kites, so you start to dive the kite while still holding the board edged, and you dont let go till the kite starts to pull on the dive (which can take forever in light wind ha haa - but you will learn).
Thats all there is to it :D

8) PF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
Hi Gunnar
Your tack and jibe videos are excellent. I keep watching them and concentrating on their details as I practise. I am certainly getting closer with these moves but it will take a lot more effort on my part. I have been in strong winds and significant waves lately which doesn't help.

A jumping instructional video would be nice. I have no trouble jumping but my landings need work.

Thanks again,
:wink:
Chris Glazier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Gunnar, all of your vids are great. You have the voice for it and you explain this well. You did one on body dragging, but was it realistic? It looked easy enough but did not work for me. I'm on the Atlantic east coast, florida and my wind is always directly on shore with current same direction as wind. I tried to body drag using my MAKO KING last week in light air. I did not gain any depth at all, actually worse. I was advised that FOILS don't work at all in our area because of this. Should I abandon my quest for a foilboard or are others able to overcome this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Arcsrule wrote:
Gunnar, all of your vids are great. You have the voice for it and you explain this well. You did one on body dragging, but was it realistic? It looked easy enough but did not work for me. I'm on the Atlantic east coast, florida and my wind is always directly on shore with current same direction as wind. I tried to body drag using my MAKO KING last week in light air. I did not gain any depth at all, actually worse. I was advised that FOILS don't work at all in our area because of this. Should I abandon my quest for a foilboard or are others able to overcome this?

These are quite common conditions in many spots, particulary when seebreeze occur.

And with a hydrofoilboard you can boarddrag upwind even easier than with other boards, so that should not be a hindrance.

Also, you can NOT ride with much else, because you can not go upwind and get free of the coast.
Only a raceboard of course, where you can start on a bit lower water.

But you should be able to boarddrag in quite light wind, just keep the kite quite high, and use the Mako as a keel.
The most important thing is, just like when bodydragging, that you DONT point upwind, but point sidewind - then it works :thumb:

Of course - for learning the first times, these conditions are bad, as you will drift downwind before you can ride/foil - but you can wait for a bit more wind and boarddrag far out, or get a boat to give you a lift the first times.

I dont understand how the current can be same direction as the wind - does not seem right, as when onshore the current can only go sideways, or in/out depending on where you go out.
Never continous onshore current.

But as said, very normal conditions in many spots, so works fine for hydrofoiling - well, I actually prefer onshore or sideonshore as when you drop your kite, you will need to drift ashore to be able to relaunch :rollgrin:

8) PF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks PF. I was hopeing someone would disagree with my friend. Unfortunately, I have never learned to body drag properly with only a 50% success rate. Fortunately, I've always flown foils so the need was not there...MOST OF THE TIME :)

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next