All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Patagonia Gore-Tex Kiting Suit
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:13 pm 
Medium Poster

I like the Kokata GFE drysuit. It is made in the USA in Arcata California and they have factory service and repair with lifetime warranty.

I am not a fan of the two peace look with unessasary material.

China made products without an economical manfactuers repair facility is not good.

If we are talking wetsuit, I for the same reason like Oneill as they have a repair facility in Oregon USA

Last edited by madworld on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

POACHER wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why do people like these baggy suits? Is it a style thing or are they truly better than a 5mm smoothskin wetsuit?

We ride with ice flows on half the lake in 5 mil suits and I'm completely warm. Are these suits about comfort? My wetsuit is very comfy. I'm not so sure I'd want a baggy fitting suit while riding waves......Also if you get water in the thing. :o I've crashed hard enough that the neck seal allowed some water in my wetsuit. It's cold for a second and then fine. What happens if you get a bunch of water past a seal in these baggy suits???

Just wondering. If there is a tangible benefit, I'd consider it. If it's a style thing, I don't care.

Would you be comfortable immersed for a long time in a 5 mm wetsuit? Drysuits are rated for colder water than wetsuits. Other than that, it is nice to get out of a drysuit dry and drive home, but the possibility of a leak is a drawback as you mention, and they are baggy. I don't think anyone is doing it for style or comfort.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The immersion point may be valid, but how much time do you actually spend in the water? I have spent more than half an hour immersed in 37f degree water and wasn't an issue with my suit. I think as long as your hands, feet, head are taken care of you're golden in a good wetsuit. Sure, an emergency situation could keep you in the water for longer, but I think getting water inside of a drysuit could result in more emergency situations....Getting rolled in a wave for instance.

Driving home comfort would be plus. I can't wait to get out of my full suit after a long session.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

No question, wetsuits work great.

My favourite aspect of drysuits are leaving the house in my fleece under duds and just slipping it on and off without ever having a wet cold naked stage at the beach. The other really nice aspect is when you get a decent run of wind and your never putting on wet neoprene over cold skin. your always in a fresh fleece layer or marino wool layer and the drysuit itself absorbs almost no water so its basically dry going on every time.

The mobility in OR's surf dry is better than my high end 4/3 surf suit. Its light and really non restrictive. I will definitely look in to the decent winter wetsuits when it eventually comes time again, but if their is anything like the surf dry in an improved version, Its gonna get serious consideration.

The clothes look suits are super easy, comfy, warm and great, but Im not sure I'll go that route again. They work great for all but the worst case scenario.... real swimming.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:22 am 
Rare Poster

No too many reviews/write ups on the R3 Neoprene Drysuit to be found. Anyone here have any experience with it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 pm 
Rare Poster

NPX dry suits are a pain in the arse to swim in, also I bought one in 2010 got a max of 15 sessions in 18 months before it started leaking in the crotch. Would NEVER buy another NPX or Neil Pryde product. A lot of people had the same issue with the lucifer dry suit, why put a faulty product on the market ??? :angryfire:
Company I bought it from refused to refund and Neil Pryde wouldn't respond to emails.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:32 pm 
Medium Poster

live2play wrote:
No too many reviews/write ups on the R3 Neoprene Drysuit to be found. Anyone here have any experience with it?

I'll let you know in about 3-4 months when I can use the one I just bought.

Can't beat a neoprene drysuit for $400 bucks (on sale).. well, unless it sucks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:29 pm 
Rare Poster

mdksniper wrote:
I'll let you know in about 3-4 months when I can use the one I just bought.

Can't beat a neoprene drysuit for $400 bucks (on sale).. well, unless it sucks.

Picked one up too... Their wetsuits are top notch so figured that this should be the same. The price was right too! Its been out for a year now, interesting that there are not many people that have these yet.

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2