All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Someone review the Shinn Turbo please!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:36 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Especially interested how does it compare to Dundee and Speedball in waves and flats! CHeers

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Someone review the Shinn Turbo please!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:54 am 
Rare Poster

Yes please! I'm really interested in this one too. Haven't found a demo yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

MEGA bump. Someone spill the beans please.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

A couple of short reports here:-

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... &start=120

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:35 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have had several sessions on the Shinn Turbo 132 x 42 this summer. I sell Shinn as well as other top end boards. The board I will compare to is the Nobile NHP 134 x 42 which IMO is an excellent TT. On to Turbo. The first thing is the Sneaker X Foot Pads. Super comfortable with excellent grip on your foot. I ride barefoot so I can't say how it will be with boots. I've had customers say they would like to see a toe rail grip on the foot bed. The stance width on the board is your average free ride setting. A freestyle guy or girl might think its a little narrow. The fins are 57mm. They provide solid grip and nice "Bite" when carving the board. Being a little large ,they are sticky in transition when turning the board.
With the independent flex on the tips, the V Twist Technology translates into a real world smooth carve with plenty of grip from the fins. The Turbo is very fun in mushy 2ft -4ft waves. I found the board likes power for the best upwind performance. Because of the very short rail length, the more juiced you are,the better the Upwind performance. Very smooth in the chop, maybe not as good as the Monk but pretty close. Top speed, excellent with good control, like any quality TT.
In back to back testing with the Nobile NHP(like talking a couple runs, one after another with each board)a couple points really were noticeable. Number one and the biggest is the weight. The Shinn Turbo felt noticeably lighter than the NHP. Number two, the foot pads were so much more comfortable( I have no problems with Nobile footpads). Now honestly, I feel the NHP is faster,better upwind and has better pop. The Turbo feels smoother,carves better and IMO just looks killer!!! lol.
Thats it, I've been using the Turbo a lot and if you want a super nice smooth TT with great foot pads, put the Shinn on your list to try.

:thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

bigwave wrote:
The first thing is the Sneaker X Foot Pads. Super comfortable with excellent grip on your foot. I ride barefoot so I can't say how it will be with boots. I've had customers say they would like to see a toe rail grip on the foot bed.

I haven't tried the Turbo, but I just picked up a 2014 Monk and I definitely miss the toe rail on the foot pads that I'm used to with other pads. I like to ride with my straps very loose and a toe rail lets you do that without issue. Tried it out yesterday for the first time and felt like my feet were sliding all over the place in there. There really isn't much of an arch on the pad either, so I think you've got to keep the straps fairly tight. The pads are super cushy though, I like the material. All personal preference though!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:51 pm 
Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
bigwave wrote:
The first thing is the Sneaker X Foot Pads. Super comfortable with excellent grip on your foot. I ride barefoot so I can't say how it will be with boots. I've had customers say they would like to see a toe rail grip on the foot bed.

I haven't tried the Turbo, but I just picked up a 2014 Monk and I definitely miss the toe rail on the foot pads that I'm used to with other pads. I like to ride with my straps very loose and a toe rail lets you do that without issue. Tried it out yesterday for the first time and felt like my feet were sliding all over the place in there. There really isn't much of an arch on the pad either, so I think you've got to keep the straps fairly tight. The pads are super cushy though, I like the material. All personal preference though!

Nice choice on the Monk. I find the straps have to be tight or you do get that sliding around feel. You will dial it in!

[ 7 posts ]