Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mystic Drysuit??? who has experience with this thing?

Forum for kitesurfers
Olas!
Rare Poster
Gear: 12m Flite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mystic Drysuit??? who has experience with this thing?

Postby Olas! » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 pm

Hey Ian,

Other than kayaking drysuits the only suit I have tried is the OR. I like the idea of the cheaper, no frills, Heat suit OR is offering, however it looks like it only comes with ankle gaskets and built in socks are a must for me, so I would go with the Soul.

I don't see the advantage of a neoprene drysuit unless you are spending most of your session swimming! The breathable shell material is light and lends very well to mobility and layering.

I would advise against getting a kayak specific drysuit as the waist section is designed to cinch down over a neoprene skirt so there will be excess material under your harness even if you remove the straps and plastic clips.

If you are living in a cold climate I think it is worth investing the extra money to get the best possible suit for your intended use. I did a video review of the soul here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2385506

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Olas! wrote: I like the idea of the cheaper, no frills, Heat suit OR is offering, however it looks like it only comes with ankle gaskets and built in socks are a must for me, so I would go with the Soul.
Actually, the Heat does come with the option for built in socks. However, it is important to note the sock version won't be available until later this fall, while the latex gasket version is available immediately.

We do have a small number of Heat suits with socks that we received early as samples, but they are only available in size L and XL.

Nice review!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:18 pm

I have an older mystic loose style in black white with rear zipper. I use it infrequently, about 20 times total. Works good, but rear zipper is pain as I kite alone a lot.
Next one, if I get one, will have front zipper for sure.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm

A bit off topic but earlier this year I picked up a Kokatat Hydrus 3L drysuit. The suit comes with a lifetime warranty. I've only used it a few times but it worked quite well.

I picked it up new from OutdoorPlay for $454 shipped. Use coupon code EM20 for 20% off the retail price. Best deal I could find on a dry suit with a lifetime warranty. They wont do anything about wear and tear but if it ever starts to unglue itself, it'll be warrantied. Seems like most of these things start to unglue eventually.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Check out the ProMotion Storm 5/4/3 or their Drysuit. www.wetsuit.com

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Sweet! well the Mystic V. is sold out...I picked up A OR soul for myself and to demo out and two heats and one soul to stock in the shop.

Our water in NJ never gets much colder then 35F so I know ill be content in a 5/4 if I don't like it....it seems that most of the guys using the dry suit are older, guys looking for more comfort...

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:34 pm

IanNJ wrote:...I picked up A OR soul for myself and to demo out and two heats and one soul to stock in the shop.

Our water in NJ never gets much colder then 35F so I know ill be content in a 5/4 if I don't like it....it seems that most of the guys using the dry suit are older, guys looking for more comfort...
As an older guy looking for more comfort, I take offense to that comment! :roll:

Actually, I love my promotion 5/3 Storm and will wear that as long as I can. It's awesome...but 35F is pretty friggin' cold. By the time you are dropping into conditions where the combinded water/air temp is below 100, it ends up being a lot of wetsuit layers that are time consuming to put on and a mess to take off wet after your session...specially if you are only taking a couple hour break and want to go back out.

It's not so much comfort (I think a wetsuit is more comfortable), as convenience. The dry suits are just a lot nicer to put on and then get back to home/work or whatever. You will have some dampness around your ankles and wrists, but can otherwise just throw your pants back on and get on the road.

I would second the ProMotion tip, though, if you are looking for a winter wet suit. Their website is a bit cumbersome to navigate, but the suits are built solid and last a long time. Great customer service. Suits have less bells and whistles then the foreign made production suits with fancy graphics and custom materials, but those suits don't last more than a season or two. Give ProMotion a try. ;)

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 pm

...just to expand on what CaptainArgh said above...

Drysuit technology has come a long (long) way in the last couple of years. When I first started selling (and using) drysuits we sold suits that were essentially rubber lined nylon. The result was that they kept you dry and very warm in very cold temps but were sweaty and uncomfortable in "shoulder" season use.

Today, we have materials that are 100% waterproof but also breathable. We tested these materials for years before releasing them into the wild and now have 5 full seasons of production behind us proving that they are reliable and durable. The material is not a teflon coated membrane like some as we found these did not hold up to salt water use (the salt crystallizes and damages the membrane, exactly like you using a fork in your teflon frying pan). Rather, they are a PU membrane specifically developed for salt water use and they are performing exceptionally well. Combine this with our "stand by" mode and you have a suit that can very comfortably be worn in 3+ seasons of the year.

Our drysuits today are far lighter than any rubber suit (of almost any thickness) and far more flexible and comfortable. You can easily adapt what you wear under them for the weather of the day and they make getting ready to ride a breeze when compared to donning a rubber suit. Of course, I carry a bias - I work with Ocean Rodeo - but we are now into our 14th year of selling drysuits and I can tell you, the new suits are light years ahead of what many people think of when they think of a drysuit.

Fwiw, the Heat is priced like a high end rubber suit too... $599 retail.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:48 am

I picked up the mystic vulcanic drysuit in March and taught many lessons in NY in it. I wear next to nothing under it, compression shorts and a t shirt, or dry ride shirt. Everyone else out riding or teaching were freezing in their 6/5/4 full hoods. I was sweating but staying warm. I'm used to layering in a wetsuit but hate the feeling of my core temperature dropping during winter riding. It's nice to be able to put on some dry clothes without having to worry about getting my core temp back up.
The front zip is sweet, real easy to get in and out plus it doubles as a pee zip. I once got too much air out of the suit and when in the water the fabric got locked in a specific fold that exposed the zipper, and I bumped it on my board or something. It opened a little so I just have to close it and get more air in through a cuff. So far I'm very pleased with the 30+ days I've had with it.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:26 pm

How has the fit seemed on the Vulcanic? Did anyone find they run small for the size on the label?

Thanks,
Stafford

Return to “Kitesurfing”