The biggest issue that I ran into was exactly the problem njrider is dealing with his liquid force kite (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385470
I solved my issue experimenting with different bridal setup. I hated long bridals, but I ended up using long bridals because its what the kite wanted. I basically did trial and error on the beach until it worked. Took me a whole day to figure out the bridal setup. I got lazy, so currently, I don't have the final bridal measurements in code, just a physical setup.
The cause of my folding issue is because the leading edge corner is too sharp, making it the weakest point of the leading edge. Kite worked fine normally until I loop it, then the edges distort. Longer, and distributed bridal force fixed the issue.
My new design will have the leading edge swept into an arc and try to lose the sharp weak point, but I will still keep the C shape format.
Ping Gigi and get a copy of one of his older C kite prototype that he built using surfplan. Do something simple and known to work, you will learn a lot with just that single build. I built that one a long time ago and it flies. In fact, I use that small kite with my carve board in the parking lot when we have off shore winds.
Start playing with the software and post your design. I'm willing to help you make changes on your plan.
As far as big kites are concerned, I don't think I will be building one unless I go professional and start my own company. I live 10 minutes away from the river here in SF East Bay Area, so we get butter sweet 25 mph thermal winds here. Maybe get one of them Liquid Force foils to help you with low wind conditions there.