Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Instructional Video: How to Drift Launch Your Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Instructional Video: How to Drift Launch Your Kite

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:29 pm

ronnie wrote:
Hugh2 wrote:We regularly drift launch at our lake. Instead of drifting straight downwind, we don't put water on the LE, but rather bias the kite to one side as we let it go (the previous poster achieves the same goal by holding one center line in hand to bias the drift as the kite goes out). The kite then drifts off at about 30 degrees from straight downwind. This is also safer, since while part of the kite is catching the wind, part is being blown down into the water (no tumbling risk). If one is careful with the lines, one can then also launch the kite to the biased side, allowing really tricky drift launches where you can only launch to one side.
This is that drift position you are describing. There is a risk of the lines tangling or snagging something in the water.

That's it precisely, thanks, and note that the kite can then be launched on the biased side, to avoid obstacles like trees on the other side. We launch like this on the edge of a lake, where there are trees on one side, then either ride away or better yet, body drag away from the trees before riding.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:20 pm

I am sure I will get lots of abuse for this one, but I thought it might be good to show a drift launch not done in ideal conditions. I know this was not the smartest thing to do, but at the time it seemed like a good challenge just to see if I could pull it off. My spelling sucks too, but wasn't worth the effort to edit it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_ZEpX5mb8

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:34 pm

pretty stylin' ronnie.
That "sideways" position that lets the kite sail away on a broad reach, half-twisted, is often useful.
The real drift launch fun comes when you add current, chop, or deep water while unwinding lines off the bar.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:03 pm

nice launch ky

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKrK93u5deo here is another drift launch video I've seen. With foil kite and very difficult spot, I won't go there with my kite.. :)

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Nice launch KYkiter. I would have had the lines on the kite before I got there though. Nice to see others who make this work in less than ideal places.

When I drift launch I cannot drag my lines or kite off the shore. I set up my lines, wind up the lines and hook in for carrying the kite out. It's a way to make sure you don't drop the bar through the lines and mess things up. I unwind my lines off the bar as I walk upwind in the shallow water, dragging them so they get pulled by the water drag and end up in the big U. I watch them carefully, and might have to wind back in a bit if they are kinked or not getting drawn out smoothly. I also double check for bridle snags.

I also weight the canopy with water, and after letting go I run diagonally out to one side, so there is limited time for the kite to do something funny. I would not do this in super strong winds, and if I have my doubts, I might just unhook so that its real quick to let it go. There is no one around to get hit by a stray kite but there's certainly the risk of kite damage if I ever had to (so far so good). You just have to think ahead clearly and have a plan ready for what might go wrong.

I'll have to try that weighting one side technique, there's one spot I ride where that could be good.

Peter

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Oh yea, I definitely wished I had prepped my bar that day. I thought I would have more land to run the lines than I ended up with and it was a long paddle back to anywhere with enough room, so I just gave the wet rigging a shot. I won't likely do it again. I think the best way in that situation would be to have the bar carefully wrapped and attached to kite SupaEZ style so I could just unwrap in the water and go.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 pm

That's a nice video and I find it to be pretty accurate.
Drift launching isn't without risk (I've had some go bad) and will always get a launch from someone or do a beach launch where I can see all the lines are good, given the choice. Drift launching is a last resort for me BUT I do think you should do it once in a while so the skill is solid and you know how your kites will behave. So with that thought, once in a while it's not a bad idea to do it around people who could otherwise launch your kite so they can help if shit hits the fan. ;)

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jbdc » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 pm

This video got posted to the kiteboarding reddit as well. While I usually like the Always Windy videos, this one kinda sucks. It's fine for what it is; but isn't at all useful for situations where you *need* to drift launch. Kite the Bay has some better videos demonstrating the common technique, but the best method I learned from a buddy:

Keep the kite leashed to you as you walk/swim back doffing the lines from the bar. This lets you have slack lines to deal with any tangles. Only once the lines are clear do you release the kite. Here's a video:

Return to “Kitesurfing”