All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Converting 5-line C-kite to 4-lines?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 am 
Medium Poster

Converted my Hifi to 4 lines, works great. Split the center bridle into 2 side bridles.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 am 
Rare Poster

JGTR wrote:
I have thought about this before but theres the issue with the safety and on v bridled C kites the length of the V has a huge effect on how the kite flies so how could you make sure that the kite still flies well on 4(6) lines??

Hi,
Flexifoil splits the fronts at 4 mt, Airush at 3mt. I don't think it's rocket science but a good idea could be have pigtails on the bridle to fine tuning them. With tighter bridle you should have more depower.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:38 pm 
Frequent Poster

geopeck wrote:
Converted my Hifi to 4 lines, works great. Split the center bridle into 2 side bridles.

HiFi to 4 lines and works well? My experience with a slack 5th line is crap flying kite. An tensioned 5th line is a different kite all together. The HiFi bladder is a way too thin comparing a 4 lines kite btw.

Dare to share HOW it works great?

Thx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:27 pm 
Medium Poster

swimmer wrote:
This season I bought my first c-kite, a 2012 9m Slingshot Fuel, and I totally fell in love with the way the c-kite handles and preforms. It is just so raw, direct and simple!
Now I am looking to get a second (bigger or maybe smaller) c-kite fill my quiver.

I am eying on the 2012 Best GP as I can't find any more cheap Fuels at the moment.
My question does anyone know if the GP will fly off 4-lines well? Is the 5th line loaded on the GP?
I really don't want to spend more money on a 5-line bar as I already have plenty of good bars.

Found a post from several years ago about the LF Nirvana being able to fly on 4 lines (probably not as good as on 5 lines) but it still make me wonder if other c-kites like the GP, Torch, or Vegas can be tuned to work on 4 lines without major structural complications during flight... :?:

If the designer wanted it to be used on five lines then don't try it with four.
Otherwise, you'll be on this forum bashing the kite cause it doesn't fly right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Now C'mon guys....

If a 5 line kite is converted to a 4 line, the connection points are changed to support the LEI, so you can NOT compare to a slack 5th line at all :o

And saying that it wont work, or that the kite is "designed for flying best with 5 lines only" is bull IMO.

I like the idea a lot :rollgrin:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

What are u taking about Peter? Using a bridle? Don't think it was the original poster idea. Or just moving the front lines connection points?

.. kind'a lost in translation..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

peter the original poster was asking if there are any 5 line C kites that have a slack 5th line so you can just cut it, already answered above, it's "no", all the 5 line C kites use a tensioned 5th line, like the vegas, torch, best gp, while the two models of C kites which do not require a tensioned 5th line don't come with a 5th line at all (the fuel & the extract).

5 line kites with a slack 5th line being used only for relaunch went out of fashion in 2009 when kite manufactures figured out how to get a 4 line C kite to relaunch by tugging a rear line.

If a C kite has 5 lines you can bet that 5th line is under tension so you can't just cut it without it having a performance degradation as they build the kite with a smaller leading edge when they use that tensioned 5th line.

I think everyone agrees probably just problem in communication.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:13 am 
Medium Poster

edt wrote:
peter the original poster was asking if there are any 5 line C kites that have a slack 5th line so you can just cut it, already answered above, it's "no", all the 5 line C kites use a tensioned 5th line, like the vegas, torch, best gp, while the two models of C kites which do not require a tensioned 5th line don't come with a 5th line at all (the fuel & the extract).

5 line kites with a slack 5th line being used only for relaunch went out of fashion in 2009 when kite manufactures figured out how to get a 4 line C kite to relaunch by tugging a rear line.

If a C kite has 5 lines you can bet that 5th line is under tension so you can't just cut it without it having a performance degradation as they build the kite with a smaller leading edge when they use that tensioned 5th line.

Not quite correct - Recently demoed a brand new North kite and the North team described their kites/bars as 5 line loaded or 5 line not loaded. The kite I flew was 5 line not loaded.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:53 am 
Medium Poster

Quote:
HiFi to 4 lines and works well? My experience with a slack 5th line is crap flying kite. An tensioned 5th line is a different kite all together. The HiFi bladder is a way too thin comparing a 4 lines kite btw.

Dare to share HOW it works great?

Sorry, I was moving kind of fast when I wrote that and didn't explain.

I built in a bridle system based on the RPM. I had a slightly larger RPM and inflated both and spooned the two kites together. The attachment points on the Hifi center bridle were all very close to the RPM bridle attachments so I thought I'd give it a shot in a reversible manner. I copied the whole RPM double pulley system, which I always thought was kind of cool.

The kite works great, no deformation, aggressive like the Hifi wing. And you're right, if you just dropped the center line I don't think it would be very good.

Something to note on conversion - you've pretty much fucked your resale value when you have a homemade bridle on your kite. But I don't miss having a separate dedicated 5 line bar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

longbeachrider wrote:
edt wrote:

Not quite correct - Recently demoed a brand new North kite and the North team described their kites/bars as 5 line loaded or 5 line not loaded. The kite I flew was 5 line not loaded.

That's possible, there are some new 2015 kites that might be different.

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next