All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Please help Israel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:59 am 
Rare Poster

This message has been created by the solidary end of helping our friend Israel Rueda Beltrán. "Isra" suffered an unfortunate accident last month in July, while he was practising kitesurf in the popular beach from Malaga, Spain,"Los Álamos", with the horrible result of the amputation of his left leg. At the moment he is recovering aftet suffer this dramatic change and it moves in wheelchair. So to return to walk and to practice his favourite sport: kitesurf, Isra needs a prothesis which has an economic very high cost that cannot assume in solitarily ... all toghether are going to achieve that he could assume this expense and his life could improve as much as possible,our frien Israel is solidary, nice, strong and possitive married man and father of two little children, he deserves that we all contribute with our granite of sand. If you want to help Israel Rueda Beltrán: Banco Sabadell 0081 7448 81 0006216433. If you can help him to another way ... please dont esitate to contact me here or in our facebook page, https://m.facebook.com/todosconisra, there you can see the liks from local newspaper, radio etc..THANKS.

Attachments:
File comment: This is Israel Rueda Beltrán before accident
IMG-20140808-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20140808-WA0001.jpg [ 97.47 KIB | Viewed 1503 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Please help Israel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

sorry to hear this...and all fingers crossed Israel will be back on the water again. For sure it is possible, just read the stories from the other heros with one or no legs!

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2385898

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2385665

I think it will help with funding if you also have a www.paypal.com account, so much easier to donate with a click ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Is he , Above the knee , or Below the knee amputation ?
If below ; how many mm ?

Bille

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:09 pm 
Rare Poster

I would like to know what happened, how to hurt a leg so badly and amputation is the only way?

IMHO it is not a good idea to kite without a good insurance. You can save money without insurance but this is what can happen

I have seen so many fundraising scams around the Internet, I wouldn't send money before we get more information.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Above or below the knee ; it makes a Big difference !

Even if it's above the knee ; he will be able to walk just fine. A bit of
work will need to be done , if he wants to stand-up kite board ; i think
it's do-able though .

Bille

Last edited by Bille on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:39 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi guys! There's also a topic about this in a Spanish kite forum and there is an active group in FB, many friends posted messages to show him suport.
https://www.facebook.com/todosconisra?fref=ts

Here is the report on a local newspaper:

http://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/malaga/ ... 81148.html

Post subject: Re: Please help Israel Rueda Beltran
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 am 
Medium Poster

Hi guys, this is Isra. I am just coming here now because my English is not too brilliant, which is taken care of: my buddy alamos_kiter will translate everything forth and back.

I would like to tell you my little kite mare in my own words.

On the 3rd of july, while I was enjoying this great sport on the coast of Málaga, Spain, at Los Alamos beach, I suffered an accident which left my left leg badly damaged. I’m kiting this beach since 2007. Los Alamos beach has smooth thermic side-on winds, usually between 15 and 20 knots, and is used a lot for teaching. It’s a long, wide and safe beach, and in summer it is the only kite zone for 50 miles up or down the coast, due to swimming zones established on most all of our beaches where kiting is prohibited.

From the accident I only remember this: It was a smooth 18-20kn thermic side-on day, 1 foot ankle snappers, and I was on my TT, maybe 20m from shore, in deep water. The kite all of a sudden gave me an extremely hard yank which knocked me upward and forward, kite crashed and kept pulling me downwind. I immediately felt strong pain in my left knee, and after releasing the kite and waving for assistance, I became aware that my leg was really bad: my lower leg flopped around in any old direction. The kite crew both on the beach and out on the water came to my help immediately. An ambulance brought me to hospital. After 7 days of painful treatment and repeated surgery, the medical team told me they could not save my leg, that they had to amputate above the knee, due to the bad condition it was in.

You’ll ask yourself how this could happen, and so do I. It was a stable side-on thermical breeze, no damage on the kite or lines or board, no frontal winds or otherwise dodgy weather conditions. The only explanation I could think of, and this is pure speculation, is a freak gust from the wake vortex of a plane. Los Alamos beach is in the flight path of Málaga AGP international airport, runway south 13/31 is at approx. 2km distance from Los Alamos beach in a straight line. In the last 15 or so years, it has been reported once or twice that somebody got ripped off the water and smashed back, on a 15 knot day, without any consistent explanation. It’s also unclear how the leg could suffer so badly. I can only guess that my right leg slipped out of the footstrap, and the board took care of the locked-in left knee when I hit the water.

I was hospitalized for 23 days overall, now I’m out, physically and mentally in good shape, and working hard on physiotherapy. Apart from the physio, which is an ongoing process, I am facing to put up the money for a prothesis which adjusts to my characteristics. I was told the price for such prothesis is approximately 20.000€ (26.000 US$), which is far beyond what my family and I are able to scrape together.

So this is my little story. The sports crew I used to be out with is going out of their ways to help me with that leg, my bike group BARRANCO BIKERS put up a bank account for donations, the local kite schools and shops organize kite meetings at the beach where it all happened, local radio stations, people on social networks, the local papers are trying to help, which is so great.

Any help is appreciated, I would especially be grateful for any tips and insights from people who have gone through a similar experience. Your experience is priceless for me - I am just at the beginning of learning a new life and want to get back on the water and into sports badly.

I will be happy to answer any question you might have, in English on here or via alamoskiter at gmail dot com. You can also reach me directly (in Spanish) on eclecp at gmail dot com, #todosconisra on Twitter and todosconisra on Facebook.

Cheers and good winds, Isra

Israel Rueda Beltran

Los Alamos Beach
Attachment:
Los Alamos Beach.png
Los Alamos Beach.png [ 315.44 KIB | Viewed 809 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG [ 42.02 KIB | Viewed 809 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG [ 62.52 KIB | Viewed 809 times ]

Attachment:
Dr kite.JPG
Dr kite.JPG [ 77.07 KIB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
cool hot.JPG
cool hot.JPG [ 121.42 KIB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG [ 496.42 KIB | Viewed 804 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:16 pm 
Medium Poster

I am very sorry for your injury and I hope you get back on a board soon.

Your theory about a vortex is plausible to me. One of our local spots is the on the approach for a naval air station. One day it was very calm and a military plane passed overhead as usual on approach to the runway, like smaller than a 737. It seemed like almost a minute+ passed when suddenly the palm trees were blowing so violently that fronds were being ripped off like in a hurricane. Then a few seconds later peoples beach umbrellas and chairs and hats were getting blown all over the beach. It took me a minute to realize this was remnant turbulence from the plane that had passed.

Beware kiting near runways where good size planes land.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Never give up my friend.make a paypal account so we can donate easy!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm 
Medium Poster

Thank you for your encouragement. I will for sure keep fighting, and when it's getting tough it's good to know there are people like you who are pushing me forward.

I followed your and Toby's advice and made a paypal account which is connected to my email eclecp@gmail.com

Thanks again for all you help.

cheers, Isra

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next