All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: best place to live in Portugal?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi,

Starting to reasearch where I should hunt for a retirement apartment in Portugal.
Its only 10 years away...

I like to kite, Sup, Sus and ride bicycles. I have never been much of a fisherman, but I could imagine doing that too. Access to open ocean and flatwater is big advantage. The wife likes hiking, running and biking. Not a golfer.

Been to Peniche, Esposende, Lissabon area already on trips. . Really liked Peniche- Foz do Ahlreho. But it was too cold and dead in winter. Esposende is too far from major airport direct flight, and cold in winter. Lissabon and west is too crowded and expensive. Have cycled from Lissabon to Porto 12 years ago and all the trips ive been impressed by scenery, people and the simple and unpretentiousness of Portugal.

So was looking towards south coast. How about Villamoura-Quarteria or around Portimao?

Tips welcome!

We live in Sweden, ive been here 30 years. Cant go back to USA because of health insurance costs, which would have been alternative.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: best place to live in Portugal?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:24 pm 
Medium Poster

Have you considered Eastern Algarve? Cabanas de Tavira could be a good base only 40 mins from Faro and 30 mins from Spain, very low cost of living there, local Kitecentre is Eolis Kitesurfing
http://www.kitesurfeolis.com/

I hope to retire there some day!
Good luck with the search.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:37 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi Tom!
Starting to feel old as temp is going down a bit in Sweden?! :D
I've been a couple of times in Alvor close to Portimao.
Good for TT in the lagoon in the summer with lots of wind. Off shore wind though so sorry, no waves for you. Sagres is not that far away with great surf (still off shore winds in summer but less vs Alvor I guess). Water temp down below 14 or so in the winter but not even at Habo level :wink: in the summer.
Alvor lives up a bit in the summer but I spoke to a retired German who thought it was dead in the winter. (The best of Alvor is the nice Bolan Bar with great reggae and even better caiprinhas!)
Poritmao is a port town that is quite dead (we felt like the only tourists when we stayed there last year) except Playa de Rocha for a few months in the summer which I found horrible.
Lagos could be a better option. In between waves of Sagres and access to Ria de Alvor for TT in the summer, by car. Larger than Alvor and not only tourists.
I'm also considering Portugal for a distant future...

Take care!
Thomas at TP Lund

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

Well, the OP did not asked for that (as he was asking for alternatives) but if I had the chance to retire in Portugal it would be Lisbon area for me (if I could afford it).
Guincho right in front of my doorstep, great surf spots, Sintra hills and Lisbon as great, vibrant city. I just love that area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

+1 for Guincho - great conditions, wind, waves, good cycling routes, superb restaurants & relatively cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm from Lisbon, if i could i would probably be living in Tavira / around

Reckon it's a bit on the slow side, in particular during winter time

I dont know much about Lagos/Portimao and around, but the word is that (Lagos) is a nice little town. Weather / water temperature not as nice as in the East side around Tavira

Stay away from Quarteira

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:02 am 
Frequent Poster

Im from south spain but i love going to kite to south portugal.

Lagos: nice city. You have: surf at lagos or sagres, cablepark at lagos, kite at alvor lagoon (you can enter in lagos side). Near you have Faro, Tavira (30-40 mins) which are also nice spots. You will get more kiting days in this area than tavira area, as almost all wind directions work here. Cons: Quiet in winter but you may like that!

Tavira or near: More friendly conditions, less surf. less windy days but better in terms of quality.

Lisbon: Guinchos sounds nice never been there, bigger city so it depends also if you dont mind living in a quiet place or not.

North Portugal: Too cold in winter for my standards, i wouldnt retire there just for this reason

In my opinion Lagos would win, more sports to do, more windy days. And you can also go to Tavira, Faro etc for some other things to do. Portimao is also biggest city in Algarve, but in general Algarve is very quiet in Winter. If i were you take some days in winter and explore the whole algarve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks everyone for the informative replies. I'll look at these spots closely.
I could be on the wrong track entirely, because I'm sure we will spend our summers in Sweden.
Other non kiting friends point to Spain east of Marbella. Its warmer.

14 in the water is chilly, but you're right Thomas, Sweden is way colder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 am 
Medium Poster

TomW wrote:
Thanks everyone for the informative replies. I'll look at these spots closely.
I could be on the wrong track entirely, because I'm sure we will spend our summers in Sweden.
Other non kiting friends point to Spain east of Marbella. Its warmer.

14 in the water is chilly, but you're right Thomas, Sweden is way colder.

I was more thinking that Portugal doesn't even reach Swedish water temp in the summer but Sweden is for sure way off in the winter (actually 10 out of 12 months or so...)!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You know what they say about swedish summer: " its the best day of the year! "

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next