All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pimped my bar!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

The only "de facto standard" in kitesurfing seems to be red on the left side, and whatever rocks your boat, or the manufacturer, on the right :thumb:

So actually half a standard ha haa !

I would say though, that left red and right green is the only standard there could be, it there should be one :wink:

A friend of mine rigged his kites with "whatever side was present first", so often red was to the right.

Whenever I borrowed a kite from him, it was confusing when I spun the bar around multiple times - which side should I grab for ?
Or when popping up after getting rolled in a wave, and you want to avoid the kite getting "crunched" in the waves, you pull instinctly and fast on the bar awaiting left is red.

So I definitely see it as a safety issue, and very egoistic if you "dont care".

It could also be someone trying to help you if unconscious or in trouble, and wanting to keep the kite "stable" on the ground or water (if not possible/wise to release), thus you pull on one side of the bar awaiting that red is on the left :o

8) Peter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Bille wrote:

Read my last post ; that guy got Really Pissed at me because he dropped
my kite in the water, and couldn't relaunch it ,(i had the colors reversed).

Bille

Not saying switching it up is fine, but whoever can't figure out how to relaunch because the bar is backward has no sense of how kites work. In all honesty, the guy should have it figured out just by observing what the kite is doing and be over it in about thirty seconds. Maybe an issue for a beginner, but they shouldn't be borrowing gear in the first place.

The sport is multifaceted enough, that understanding wind and weather and your ass from a hole in the ground should take priority over making sure rookies know red from green. Too bad weather can't be kook proofed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

torch bar, looks so sick err until i am stuck upside down with 15 milliseconds to grab the right side after 12+? years with red on the left. wtf.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2014-08-18 20.17.04.png
Screenshot 2014-08-18 20.17.04.png [ 36.37 KIB | Viewed 404 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Oh that black tape will stay on eh?
You'lll see...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
It could also be someone trying to help you if unconscious or in trouble, and wanting to keep the kite "stable" on the ground or water (if not possible/wise to release), thus you pull on one side of the bar awaiting that red is on the left :o

8) Peter

yeah this is a good argument for it, but if we take this to its extension, there would be a lot more standards I could see being super important.

One such instance would be release. Not only having a push or pull, but a standardized way to get rid of the whole rig. Probably including leash, even harness. A way to get our of a board. Or handles to grab kites in the water. Imagine if all kites had a handle right under the wingtip. Much easier to do rescues or help people flip their kite to relaunch in the water.
I mean there are so many things that would be important. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

longwhitecloud wrote:
torch bar, looks so sick err until i am stuck upside down with 15 milliseconds to grab the right side after 12+? years with red on the left. wtf.

That is an unusual color indeed, the grey-yellow :naughty:

This one is also different regarding color (I am quite sceptical about that choice, green on the left ?):

Attachment:
GreenWhite.jpg
GreenWhite.jpg [ 82.11 KIB | Viewed 343 times ]

8) PF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

Bille wrote:
JS wrote:
so maybe "red" means "right".

DANG !
I always used Red on Right because a Red buoy, is on the Right
when you Return to a harbor. The Three R's.

This is how we remember it (the three Rs)

Red is Right is wRong!

monk.e.boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:26 pm 
Rare Poster

F ONE is red/green lines (and red/green pig tails) which are the colours that make the most sense imo - it also serves a purpose for beginners to remeber rules of the road i.e. When green is in front you have the right of way - when red is in front you yield.

Might be stupid but seems like a lot dont know starboard/port rule. if a couple of incidents can be avoided on this account and some more because of grabbing the wrong end after a crash - then why not standardise on red green - which is really the question ... Why not red/green ? (looks nice dosent count if there is an impact on safety imo)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The anti-standardization viewpoints of some here might be caused by misunderstanding that certain safety standards are intended to reinforce intuition and minimize the chance of human error, and not as an alternative to knowing how to use one's equipment.

Some of the greatest proponents of basic safety standards and routines are pilots with thousands of hours of (death-free) flying experience. They understand that people occasionally make mistakes, and they try to reduce the frequency and severity of them. They generally don't spend time writing pointless drivel on aviation forums to oppose the simplest of measures that can help reinforce intuition and minimize potential for human error.

That said, I totally understand that some kiteboarders are above that kind of thinking, which is impressively badass.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The standard red on the left should be followed.
If not, why not abandon other standards, like clutch pedal to left of brake pedal?
Why not drive with the accelerator to the far left?

Suppose you had a really nice sports car, but the pedals were set up with the accelerator and clutch pedals reversed...
Would you be comfortable lending your car to a friend?
Let your significant other out for a milk run?
Valet parking?

Seriously, kites are simpler than cars, ships, or planes, but there is a major safety advantage in KNOWING what you are doing instead of having to take a second or 2 to figure it out.
Especially if you are trying to help in an emergency, or trying something the first time.

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next