All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pimped my bar!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Well, dry it works better than wet ;-)

A bit slippery and it moves a bit.
I might need to wrap it from the other side and see if it stays better.

But for sure better than the original grip that is peeling off ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 pm 
Frequent Poster

JS wrote:
The anti-standardization viewpoints of some here might be caused by misunderstanding that certain safety standards are intended to reinforce intuition and minimize the chance of human error, and not as an alternative to knowing how to use one's equipment.

Some of the greatest proponents of basic safety standards and routines are pilots with thousands of hours of (death-free) flying experience. They understand that people occasionally make mistakes, and they try to reduce the frequency and severity of them. They generally don't spend time writing pointless drivel on aviation forums to oppose the simplest of measures that can help reinforce intuition and minimize potential for human error.

That said, I totally understand that some kiteboarders are above that kind of thinking, which is impressively badass.

and some of the people who want standardization have misunderstood the viewpoint of the people who they think oppose it. I do not oppose standardization. i do, however, think that it is, at best, a long way off and in the meantime you might quite whining about it and put your big boy pants on and do something about it yourself. It is an easy to deal with problem. Do you know the phrase "first world problem". Well, this does not even add up to that much of an "issue". Until some body else has fixed the problem for you, fix it yourself for now. and go kite, safely….

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

longwhitecloud wrote:
torch bar, looks so sick err until i am stuck upside down with 15 milliseconds to grab the right side after 12+? years with red on the left. wtf.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2014-08-18 20.17.04.png

Yes and not only is it yellow, but opposite to the only other bar on the market that uses that color, Core kiteboarding. They use the yellow in the left side and the white on the right. I have this bar and it makes sense to me. Solid is on the right. I am NOT saying that I think yellow is the correct color for the left side of the bar. I also think red should be the standard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 pm 
Medium Poster

Jensb wrote:
Why not red/green ? (looks nice dosent count if there is an impact on safety imo)

Roughly 10% of the male population is red/green colour blind. These people cannot be deck officers on ships, nor can they be airline pilots. Both of these disciplines require testing to ensure that the individuals in question can correctly determine the direction other craft are headed at night.

There is no such test for the sale of consumer products like kite control bars. While I understand the appeals for standardization and the historical reasons for port/left/red: red/green is a horrible choice to standardize on. A colourblind rider would see only two barely distinguishable shades of grey/brown.

Toby's suggestion is the best: red on left, neutral colour (ideally black or white) on the right. Blue wouldn't be too bad either. At any rate, the important thing is contrast and red/green doesn't do it.

Given that the market is mostly guys, and 10% of them can't tell the difference between red and green, it's probably a good thing we haven't standardized on red/green.

Some of you may be wondering how these people are allowed to drive: Traffic lights have a standard orientation: Red, amber, green from top to bottom. The whole point of a spinning kite bar is that the orientation can be changed.

Just to confuse matters further, I'll add that we could also standardize top/bottom with a 'right' and a 'wrong' tone facing the rider--like on the Epic bar which has (had?) 'WRONG WAY' emblazoned near the hole.

As it stands, I'm happy with 'red on left/not red on right'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

what about whatever color and they mark the backside with "wrong" or "Stop" etc?

Is this better for our brains to understand? Will we be quicker in realizing that we have the bar the wrong way around?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

--JS-- Nailed it, with his post here ; best argument FOR standardization
that i have seen on this Thread !!

JS wrote:
The anti-standardization viewpoints of some here might be caused by misunderstanding that certain safety standards are intended to reinforce intuition and minimize the chance of human error, and not as an alternative to knowing how to use one's equipment.

Some of the greatest proponents of basic safety standards and routines are pilots with thousands of hours of (death-free) flying experience. They understand that people occasionally make mistakes, and they try to reduce the frequency and severity of them. They generally don't spend time writing pointless drivel on aviation forums to oppose the simplest of measures that can help reinforce intuition and minimize potential for human error.

That said, I totally understand that some kiteboarders are above that kind of thinking, which is impressively badass.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Industry.........

I say - Red on the left.

Naish have doen great things for kiteboarding, but I have lost a bit of respect here unfortunately because I think maybe someone made an aesthetic over safety decision.

There was the dude from brazil that was killed from the second lofting (not too windy). Don't know precise details but there is alway that possibility that he pulled wrong side of bar to make things better during a loop, but instead made things worse pulling wrong side.

I have done exactly what toby did in the past. wears out reasonably quick but is sooooo grippy if you buy the right stuff - even when wet - red on left....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:22 am 
Very Frequent Poster

in dim light conditions you will be able to detect which side of the bar is dark and which is light but not able to detect the color. If you do a lot of riding at dusk & dawn, when it is raining or snowing or overcast and some of your bars are dark on the right and some are white on the right you will know this well it is very annoying. If the red is a dark red and the right is black that's no good in dim light.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:14 am 
Rare Poster

I also did not care which way around I rigged my bar till one day I gave my kite to a friend while flying and he promptly crashed it because he thought red was necessarily left.

BTW the historical reason that the rhyme "red on right returning" only works in the America's, plus Philippines, Korea and Japan is that the whole world was the other way, but during the war of independence a US admiral ordered the signs and lights reversed on eastern shores of the USA to confuse English captains. The change stuck, and was then forced on the rest of the America's, as well as those other three countries when they were run by the US, and they never went back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:53 am 
Medium Poster

Quote:
Just to confuse matters further, I'll add that we could also standardize top/bottom with a 'right' and a 'wrong' tone facing the rider--like on the Epic bar which has (had?) 'WRONG WAY' emblazoned near the hole.

Also HQ, also LF for a while I think. There is no downside to having text in addition to color. I'll always react to text first, especially if they throw in some exclamation marks.

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next