All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiting The Bahamas With New Gear
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

New meets old as the 2015 Contra flies over Santini's 1779 vision of Les Isles Lucayes.

Continuing our look at the excellent Cabrinha kites for 2015 presented at the Pryde Group Americas Dealer Meeting at Old Bahama Bay on Grand Bahama Island. Be sure to checkout Parts I & II of the overview of Cabrinha kiteboarding gear at:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385784

Another glorious dawn in the island, wonder what new wind-blown adventures the day will bring?

Let's have a look at the light wind machine from Cabrinha, the Contra for 2015. A lightweight kite, focused on light wind planning, bottom end power, easy steering and performance without necessarily being focused on the racing market.

An overhead shot in really light wind for the group photo. Best kite for the job, a Contra 17 m. Look at all that great gear down there from Pryde Group Americas including Cabrinha, NP, Imagine, JP-Australia and NeilPryde.

So, you've light wind but you still want to head out, well here's your kite.

Here's an ultimate light wind kite and twin tip board setup. A 17 m Contra paired with a Stylus twin tip. More about Cabrinha boards
for 2015 in the next installment.

Throwing up a 13 m Contra in pretty light winds. I rode about ten seven miles with this kite roundtrip around three islands to the north of west end. Glad the kite had great lower end characteristics to see me back to the start.

Annabel shredding fast in gnat sneeze breeze off Maui with the Contra.

Running around Old Bahama Bay in very light wind at good speed.

A general overview of the 2015 Contra and designer notes

Imagine SUP boards is another PGA brand and represented by Dave Kalama

Damo, Enrique and Jan compare kiting techniques. A lot of that sort of thing grows out of these dealer meetings.

A West End, Grand Bahama Painting by Phil Brinkman in 1992

p.s. - a special treat thanks to Damo LeRoy, Tom Dunfee and the Cabrinha crew at West End. What happens when you mix a 10 ft. half ton tiger shark with an injured 400 pound loggerhead turtle in deep blue water? Damo captured some of what went on with his trusty GoPro. Video of the action to be provided in the next installment dealing with 2015 kite boards.

Moving on to the 2015 Chaos, the C-shape kite of the Cabrinha line. Despite having a C-kite like shape, it delivers line slack by flying forward for wake style tricks. The goal was to deliver C-kite like properties without sacrificing depowering or wind range. As there is little sweep in the wing of the kite, it twists in a progressive, linear fashion unlike say the Velocity BOW kite. This allows the kite to fly powered with lift through turns as opposed to pivoting with more swept back kites.

An overview of the 2015 Chaos kite followed by designer notes.

A nice shot of Jan boosting with the Chaos captured by 305kitesurfing.

Pete, Patrick, Paula and Conchy at the beach.

Damo is pulled aloft by this interesting anchoring aid to allow really long jumps.

A look at Cabrinhas highly efficient free riding and racing kite for the Velocity for 2015. It provides the most power per area of any of the Cabrinha kites this year. This is the only true BOW kite made by Cabrinha for this year. It replaces the Crossbow kite. It is called a race kite but it has amazing performance qualities for free riding as well. It goes upwind like crazy, boost very well with nice hang time. It has been produced in smaller sizes for foil racers this year. It is IKA registered for acceptance for racing.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance try out the 2015 Velocity in the Bahamas. If it is anything like last year's model, it is a very capable kite with some excellent properties. I was impressed with the ability to ride close to the wind at speed, huge depower range, nice long lofty jumps, light weight and I don't even race. In short it provides some excellent assets for free riding.

An overview of the 2015 Velocity followed by designer notes.

Kent provides closing comments on the last night of the dealer meeting.

The Star Hotel, West End, Grand Bahama. Watercolor painting by Phil Brinkman in 1962.

More to come on the Cabrinha kiteboarding gear for 2015 ...

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiting The Bahamas With New Gear
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I just got some new imagery from the meeting, thanks to Damo LeRoy, look above. I was solo kiting about a 1/4 mile east of this area for three days a few miles offshore from the resort. I heard about this ten foot tiger shark encounter at the end of the first day. I ran over a few sharks while kiting but none as big as the one pictured in the write up above this. Trust your gear and stay out of the water when the big boys are looking for a snack, also try not to imitate an injured loggerhead turtle! Video of the encounter to be included with the next installment dealing with kiteboards and imagery around the islands offshore, north of Old Bahama Bay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:42 pm 
Rare Poster

... didn't want to spoil your fun, but that area is notorious for BIG tiger sharks.
i have kited and windsurfed a lot of the bahamas prior to launching exuma kitesurfing:
http://www.exumakitesurfing.com/index.php

... i always speak with the fisherman; that was the only area i never ventured to kite/windsurf on their advice. it sucked, because when i was learning how to kite i lived in GB - when the wind would setup, i'd loose three days of it because the north end the island is all mangrove with muddy, foot slicin' rocky bottoms, except for where your meeting was held. to be honest, that beach is 60% man made and not that great. - exuma, for sure has the best beaches, with the most variety in the bahamas:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 505&type=1
always ask the locals ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was aware of that, Tiger Beach, the famous tiger shooting ground, is only about a 20 minute boat ride north of West End after all. The Bahamas is pretty sharky in general in my experience, primarily with reef sharks but there are lots of hammers and other species too. I think all the sharks I rode over north of West End were smaller reef sharks but I always assume bigger stuff is within sensing range. I use the same policy back home in Florida. I saw some interesting activity in the area the first time I went to West End by sailboat in 1976.

Another day at Tiger Beach. They are training the big tigers to eat expensive UW camera rigs these days?

Tiger sharks love turtles and actively prey upon them worldwde. I've heard about similar stories from Hawaii. There is certainly no shortage of turtles there.

Now for something really scary, have you ever been attacked by swimming pigs while kiting in the Exumas?

Video from this tiger-turtle encounter to come in the next installment dealing with kiteboards for 2015.

Attachments:
File comment: From a recent commercial shoot I did off NP with a bunch of smaller reef sharks.
shark shoot .jpg
shark shoot .jpg [ 90 KIB | Viewed 301 times ]
 [ 4 posts ]