heinzbush
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tacking a Nugget 5.5

Postby heinzbush » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:18 am

Hi,

I am not new to directionals and I usually do a jybe or ride topside when I switch directions... I am currently on a 5.5 Nugget.

Now I was trying to learn the tack, that means carving hard upwind and then switch feet...

My problem: I can not get the board into the wind. With the 4 fins, it seems so "stable" in the direction, that I can not get it to a 90 degree angle into the wind so that I can switch my feet...

It has probably nothing to do with the Nugget in particular, it's just the board I currently have...
I was wondering if someone has some advice for me..

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Tacking a Nugget 5.5

Postby tautologies » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:00 am

Its you (sorry).

You really have to explain a bit better what happens, but the most common errors are:

Not enough speed
You go too early (wait until the kite is already pulling in the other direction
Not enough pressure on the back foot

You can tack any board. :thumb:

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:08 am

Hi. You can see how to tack a kite directional board (including the North Nugget 5.5 in some clips :thumb: ) in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-CIykoVRhY

Cheers
Carlo

Needless to say, I fully agree with Taut

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:48 am

tautologies wrote:Its you (sorry).
haha, I was aware of that :D

My problem is that I don't seem to be able to get the board around... I watched this video before... but I can't get the board to a 90 degree angle into the wind, maybe 60 or 70...

I carve into the wind, but the board seems so "stuck on its path" that I can not get it to turn around that far...

I will try more back pressure, thanks for the tip!

Maybe its just "in my head", with the other boards that had, I didn't have issues doing sharp cutbacks or smashing the lip in a "wave scenario", but I used the Nugget on flat water only so far, so maybe the wave is "missing in my head" that tells my buddy how to get the board around... but also, in the waves, I lean in much more... on the tack I do not lean (as far as I understand) but still drive the board sharp up into the wind...

If you have any more advice, keep em coming, much appreciated!

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:08 pm

I have a similar shape board(sweet potato). Try placing your rear foot further back before initiating a turn, more than you're used to on a regular shape. I have to feel the lip of the stomp pad with the edge of my foot before any kind of snap, turn, fin release, ect. Took some conscious effort at first, now it's almost automatic.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Try taking the back two fins off. The board will feel almost like a Skimboard but will be alot easier to turn up wind (180 degrees). I find it's all about timing and commitment. Turn (slide the board underneath you) Kite is at about 12:00 as you lift off the board and land in the new direction, Kite is now being sent in the new direction. Point board slightly downwind and balance the pull of the kite.
Practice in waist deep water if you can.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:59 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:I have a similar shape board(sweet potato). Try placing your rear foot further back before initiating a turn, more than you're used to on a regular shape.
+1 for that.

Move you back foot further back when you go into the tack.

This way you will be spinning the board around the fins and it will turn much easier. With the back foot further forward you are trying to turn the board around a point forward of the fins, pushing the fins sideways through the water.

Mr Harris
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha FX2, SB & Wings
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Mr Harris » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Another common reason that folk can't turn the board up into wind is because the kite keeps pulling, and therefore you just keep moving.

Really important to get the kite up high and sheet the bar out before carving up. You'll have no resistance and the board should turn easily.

Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hwOi6H ... F5A4F0119C

Hope it helps
C&K

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:38 am

Dont remove fins - as I assume you love the board as it is, so dont "destroy" this.

Important that you move the kite overhead in one continous move.
But you know that, as you can tack your other boards.

The Nugget is wider and bigger finned, so one trick can do it all for you I think:

Even when you push with your back foot, you just push on your fins, and nothing happens (unless you edge the board too) - it gets "stuck" at a high angle to the wind, and turns no further - and you fall :(

The trick is, to PULL with your front foot, before losing too much speed, and when you are pointing high - then you will discover the board effortlessly turns on a dime (actually on the fins, just like we do with race or freeracefins as this is the very trick)

Try it - you might need some "getting used to", as you havent done it this way on other boards - but believe me, it works and can give you miracles in terms of turning a big finned board easy :thumb:

You can even stand further in front with your rear foot, so the board does not sink, when you learn this technique.

Pushing with your rear foot does not work well, or not at all, when big or many fins.
Of course, on a Nugget, you should be able to turn the board by weight on the rear foot and the outside edge - instead of keeping it flat, but you got that it seems, and your problem is the last and most important part - to get it through the wind eye :naughty:

Let me hear how this "pull" trick works for you ?

8) Peter

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks all for the comments and advice! I got lots to try out next time I'm in the water!

:D

Return to “Kitesurfing”