All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: seat harness recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:21 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi, I've had a Dakine Fusion for many years, love the harness, but it really restricts my hip movement. I find grabs and board offs quite difficult (like 20 - 30 in a session). I'm currently using a womans dakine tempest harness, about 10 years old. This has almost no padding anywhere so has great freedom on movement, really nice low bar position. But the spreader bar is nekkid metal against my body which is uncomfortable. The spreader bar also unhooks from the side hook occasionally which is dangerous and annoying.

Today I tried a waist harness and really didn't get on with it. Hated the high bar position, it kept riding up and squashed all my insides. I feel like I've been through a meat grinder. Belly, ribs, ass. All hurt to hell.

Wanted: Hip movement. Molded lower back support. Padding around the bony part of my waste. Padded spreader bar.

Advice and recommendations please! :D :D

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: seat harness recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I like the old school tricks and use Dakine Nitrous shorts for the most mobility. Add the spreader bar pad for sure. If you want extra padding or chafe protection, put on a pair of neoprene shorts.
Happy Kiting!
-KTB
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:00 am 
Frequent Poster

I have been using this for the last 2 years or so. http://horizonkites.com/peter-lynn-peter-lynn-radical-seat-harness-p-269.html. It is comfy, low bar position, but still restricts leg and hip movement. Board off are difficult. Tail grabs work fine. The harness quality is ok, not the best, I broke one of the straps but got a replacement under guarantee.
I am in the process of switching over to a waist harness, so far only 2 sessions and I find it very uncomfortable, but I am willing to learn to love it...so I am sticking with it for a while and see if I get use to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:29 am 
Medium Poster

Try an Ocean Rodeo session. It's got all the pluses of a waist harness, but the leg straps keep the harness low while not restricting mobility.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:32 am 
Medium Poster

Quote:
the spreader bar is nekkid metal against my body which is uncomfortable

Maybe it's not the harness, but your spreader bar.
You may want to consider ditching your spreader bar, and replacing with a Dynabar, or just a simple cord and carabiner.
Both really improve the ride-ability of any seat harness, while keeping the nice low bar position that you (and I) like in a seat harness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 am 
Medium Poster

Best, lightest, most comfortable seat harnesses. No wonder Toby uses them for airstyle! http://www.jnkites.us/pat-love/harness/zero/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

+1 for Dakine Nitrous. I felt build quality was just OK and the spreader bar connection to the harness with the side hooks was just wrong (but I think they fixed that in 2014). So I'm upgrading to Ion B (same idea as Nitrous, but better quality and functionality - many people use them in my beach).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 am 
Rare Poster

I switched to Dakine Nitrous shorts after finding my lower back is jacked up, i found that it really restricted my hips and made toe side riding awkward. I'm using dakine sliding spreader bar set up with the shorts and it's a lot better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:19 am 
Frequent Poster

Thanks everyone! :thumb: :thumb:

[ 9 posts ]