All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rebel Bungieless
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rode an old but new 2010 16m rebel today. It pulled like a truck and my arms almost fell off. I was ready to get rid of it. After removing the bungies it felt like a rebel again. %50 less bar pressure and %30 faster turning. It was a new kite. I know the newer ones have the adjustments but I encourage all old rebel users who like light bar pressure to remove them. I may keep them on the 6m to slow it down.

Last edited by NYKiter on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Rebel Bungieless - worth it....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

really? the 2010 16 is an awesome kite the way it is.
Excellent bar pressure for me ;-)

Enjoy the kite!

Post subject: Re: Rebel Bungieless
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:42 am 
Rare Poster

was just out on 16 m rebel an hour ago. lots of bar pressure indeed.

how do you remove the bungees? I've tried before but couldn't.

Also my 2010 rebel pulls to the right, (not lines, and not the bridle lines as well) I think one of the bungies is stretched more then the other. Is it a possible reason for kite pulling to the right?

Anyhow how do I remove the bungies.

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I have to say that I was astonished at the influence of the bungies on the performance of the Rebel.
The kite is truly a sensitive wing. I would think given the amount of performance difference I noticed it would be probable that a weak bungie on one side just might pull the kite in that direction.

They are very simple to remove. Start at the wing tip bridles and detach both the front bridle line and the bungie from the wing tip but leave the rear bridle that attaches to the bar lines. Next remove the ring by folding the bungie loop over it (probably what stumped your attempt). Then simply remove it from the kite by pulling it through the LE loop attachment. Save them if you change your mind later. Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

You're talking about the bungees that stop the rear line from wrapping the wingtip?

Could be different because mine is a 2011 11m Rebel, but I haven't noticed any difference with or without the bungees. One of my bungees broke on one side. Flew with it broken for a few sessions, didn't notice any difference or pulling to one side.

Then I was lazy, never got around to replacing it, and just tied a square knot to put it back together. Effectively shortening it by several inches, still no noticeable effect.

Others have theorized in the past that these bungees help give the Rebel the short bar throw, or stop your lines from going slack, but I don't think they really anything to the flying characteristics because they are so loose. Who knows, if it works for you go for it! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks for the tip I will try it!

If the Rebel has heavy bar pressure it's probably because the back lines are too tight. Try moving the back lines out 10cm on the control bar pigtails.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

It has not been a problem for me on a 2008. But I agree these kites pull like a truck. It's definitely heavier than the new light wind kites but if it's in the air and you have a light wind board you can get a pretty decent session going in marginal wind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

It may be just the removal of the secondary bridle line that the bungi attaches to that makes the difference. I removed both the bungi and the secondary bridal so there is only a single bridle line hanging from the wing tip. I now find that the 2010 flies like the 2009 (that did not have the secondary line).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:14 am 
Very Frequent Poster

So I tried the 2012 Rebel 8m without the bungee line and I felt it was a little more lively and responsive, with less lag on turn initiation. I did not measure anything scientifically but I liked it! My bungees are coming off! Now I have to try without the A line like NYKiter says...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Funny you say that, that's the one thing I can say that is drastically improved on the 2015 rebel, that spongy lag, it's almost gone relative to the 2012 I used to fly. You really notice this when looping it, I was really surprised by its ability to loop not being a C kite. Still not a kite I'd get to loop but nevertheless it did surprise me. Infact I still felt it on the 2014, but reduced, 2015 the difference it really noticeable. I wonder if others concur with this. ??

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next