All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kitesurfing on the east cost. End of sept
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey guys,

Im planing a kite surfing trip at around september 20th on the east coast. I will be driving from philadelphia, so I am looking for some place suitable for beginners and with war water. Can you please suggest something?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kitesurfing on the east cost. End of sept
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:17 am 
Rare Poster

Don't like hatteras?????

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 am 
Rare Poster

Hugh2 wrote:
Don't like hatteras?????

I dont know anything about any locations. I was looking at virginia beach. How is that?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 pm 
Rare Poster

Nobody goes kiting in september?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:27 am 
Rare Poster

Hatteras Island. Don't stop at Virginia Beach or upper Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk). Go all the way to Hatteras Island.

The "Tri-Villages" of Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo are fine with several kiteboarding shops and lesson centers. Avon and Buxton have more motel style lodging than the Tri-Villages, but all have lots of cottages and condos for rent. In any of those villages, you can find a variety of great kiting locations (soundside, oceanside, flatwater, waves). In late September, the rental rates are lower, the water is still relatively warm, and the wind usually blows. Have a great time. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:36 pm 
Rare Poster

FLandOBX wrote:
Hatteras Island. Don't stop at Virginia Beach or upper Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk). Go all the way to Hatteras Island.

The "Tri-Villages" of Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo are fine with several kiteboarding shops and lesson centers. Avon and Buxton have more motel style lodging than the Tri-Villages, but all have lots of cottages and condos for rent. In any of those villages, you can find a variety of great kiting locations (soundside, oceanside, flatwater, waves). In late September, the rental rates are lower, the water is still relatively warm, and the wind usually blows. Have a great time. :wink:

Warm enough to go without a wetsuit, or? :)

I was also looking and Jacksonville, FL, but i know its the hurricane season over there. Any more info on that?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:53 am 
Rare Poster

nafets wrote:
FLandOBX wrote:

Warm enough to go without a wetsuit, or? :)

I was also looking and Jacksonville, FL, but i know its the hurricane season over there. Any more info on that?

'

Anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:46 pm 
Rare Poster

Am in Hatteras now. The sound is about 87F (a couple days ago it was 89.5) and the ocean feels likes it's well into the 80s. You should be fine at the end of sept unless things really cool off - because the sound is shallow it cools quicker, but it also warms up fast on a hot day. Bring a shorty if worried.

Come to Hatteras, it's a no-brainer. You can kite in almost any wind direction, you have the choice of flatter water and ocean kiting, it's cheaper this time of year...what's not to love?

Also, I would recommend staying in Avon/buxton/frisco, better shopping for groceries, wine and spirits. Just easier to get everything than up in waves/rodanthe/salvo. PM me if you have more questions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Quote:

I spend half my year on the NC Outer Banks and the other half in Florida. Trust the feedback you are getting. Hatteras Island is a kiteboarding destination. Go there. Jacksonville, FL has some spots to ride if you have to be there for other reasons, but it is not a kiteboarding destination. If you are traveling from Philadelphia to a spot on the East Coast for the purpose of kiteboarding, go to Hatteras. End of September is the perfect time (although understand that the Atlantic hurricane season lasts until November 30 for all the locations you've identified).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:32 am 
Rare Poster

FLandOBX wrote:
Quote:

I spend half my year on the NC Outer Banks and the other half in Florida. Trust the feedback you are getting. Hatteras Island is a kiteboarding destination. Go there. Jacksonville, FL has some spots to ride if you have to be there for other reasons, but it is not a kiteboarding destination. If you are traveling from Philadelphia to a spot on the East Coast for the purpose of kiteboarding, go to Hatteras. End of September is the perfect time (although understand that the Atlantic hurricane season lasts until November 30 for all the locations you've identified).

Well the hurricane season is what worries me... I dont want to end up going there, trying to find cover from the rain... :(

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next