Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Postby Starsky » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm

I dont think its wise to let marketing departments set your definitions for you. Just reading your post EDT confuses everything. Tough because companies will do as they will and use whatever term is perceived to sell more kites. How many hybrids use C kite comparisons in their marketing? Are they really freestyle kites? The PKRA has called their pro tour the freestyle tour since its inception so there is the consistency. The other constant has been that the riders in those comps have overwhelmingly chosen C kites, and still do to this day. You bring up mega loops. C kites are also the most common choice (not the only choice) among that portion of the kiting population. Any kite will loop, but the magaloopers and certainly the pioneering ones did it all on straight up C kites. Of course the guys from Core are gonna jump in on that statement, but it still rings true.

The riding sets the definition, the marketers just mess with it to sell gear.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 pm

i see myself as a free rider

i do what i want, when i want

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 pm

I am 46 and don't unhook, but to me watching Dimitris Big Allstyle is what i find the most entertaining, and what I realy would like to see in competitions.
:D

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:07 am

Tiago1973 wrote:i see myself as a free rider

i do what i want, when i want
I'm with ya. +1 on the free ride.

Funny story, I was in a Paragliding comp when I lived in Australia. I had all the way points locked and loaded and rocking at around 4-6 thousand feet. I seen this beautiful cloud street.... That was the end of the comp for me F the points I thought and off I went. almost 60k later I ran out of lift and set down. To this day that was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Who need labels and categories..... Get out there and do what you love.

I kite surf my way lol

Anyone up for a 30kn session? We can put all this bla bla bal behind us
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=122062

Cheers

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 am

The riding sets the definition, the marketers just mess with it to sell gear.[/quote]

Another black and white position of authority, foretelling an eternal truth.

Love to live in your world.

Countless example of the marketing concerns of a sport (to ultimately raise exposure and indeed revenue could be used to counter the natural law suppose above).

One obvious one is that of the world game soccer (might as well choose the most covered sport on the planet shall we). If you read the history regarding soccer it used to be a much more violent, aggressive game and indeed throwing yourself to the ground to await the magic sponge was seriously frowned upon. It was see as a 'brutes' game. They then decided to change and tighten the laws on certain 'actions and intent' to make the game me far more palatable for the wider audience. And now we have what we see today. Our game in Australia is following the same path sad to say).

So ultimate truths that you tend to espouse in the ultimate position of wakestyle superiority are not as water tight as you may seem.

They both go hand in hand, one feeds the other. It's a symbiotic rather than dependant relationship. I could go onto to tennis (well just quickly, women play less rest, hit is less hard are far less athletic comparably and yet get paid the same amount of money and there's only one reason for that, they are bloody marketable....rugby, formula one and many other sports but I shall refrain.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 am

Westozzy wrote: So ultimate truths that you tend to espouse in the ultimate position of wakestyle superiority are not as water tight as you may seem.
First off,,,, I am very much water tight. Secondly, WTF are you babbling on about? Careful, repeating bullshit points to try and make em look true. Taking a page right out of wind_rider's book there!

Simply said marketing will tell you what you wanna hear, not necessarily the way it is. You can keep your incoherent analogies. We have clear examples right here in our own sport.

Has the PKRA not been THE defining freestyle in kiteboarding?

Has it also not been the domain of C kites to this day despite the massive shift to bridled kites by the majority of the market?

Soooo despite slingy marketing the rpm as their freestyle kite and making poor Youri ride it for years, the fuel is quite obviously the more freestyle kite in the line up. Further proof is the fact that Youri went straight to a C the moment he changed sponsors.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:55 am

Starsky wrote:
Westozzy wrote: So ultimate truths that you tend to espouse in the ultimate position of wakestyle superiority are not as water tight as you may seem.

Soooo despite slingy marketing the rpm as their freestyle kite and making poor Youri ride it for years, the fuel is quite obviously the more freestyle kite in the line up. Further proof is the fact that Youri went straight to a C the moment he changed sponsors.
Or Best don't have a kite that performs like the RPM?

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:42 pm

"P.S.S Rights S1 as apposed to all the great wisdom you impart?"

I'm not going to get sucked into another one of your self-indulgent shit storms. I have better things to do. But hey don't let me hold you back.

Every week you find a new thread to insert conflict its what you do. Look through the board its everywhere.

Cheers mate,
T
Last edited by s1buell_wl on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Think whatever you like, but realize thats precisely what Slingy's marketing department would like you to think despite the actual evidence.

P.S I never said he switched for the kites. I said he went for the freestyle kite in the line up.

P.S.S Rights S1 as apposed to all the great wisdom you impart?
Last edited by Starsky on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi
Been thanked: 0

Postby jens » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:46 pm

what he is good at is clearly seeing though the fog that is created by some and telling it how actually is.

so now you can go ride your 30+ knot forecast , but you know that would not appeal to some on this thread. too much wind, small kites are dangerous

Return to “Kitesurfing”