All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Airush vantage 17m review
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:25 pm 
Rare Poster

Has anyone tried this kite?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Airush vantage 17m review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:28 am 
Medium Poster

I had a play on one last week - seemed very nice to me, even though I was trying handlepasses on it, which it isn't really designed for! Was no slouch in the turn, even with only a 52cm bar, very nice low end, refined, pushes well upwind and super floaty (as you'd expect) in the boost.
Wasn't windy enough to try the top end, and didn't get it wet either, so didn't try the relaunch.
If you're after a all-round lightwind kite, also check out the 18LW - 3 less struts to get that weight down, and quicker to pump. I tried this one earlier in the year and had an absolute blast on it - surprisingly nimble for a kite with an immense wingspan, and the race pedigree means its pulling much more forward and less downwind. It definitely looks like an 18, but behaves like a smaller kite - could heli-loop it with ease!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:44 pm 
Medium Poster

Defnietly take a look at the 18, seems like a much more general purpose LW kite .
I tried the 17 once, but could not get going on it, it was really light, though it did not fall out of the sky. I suspect that 17m Edge would do a little better, but only speculating. The 17 vantage, felt torquless , but hey, it's very high aspect just by looking at it, so I would aim for the 18.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:57 am 
Rare Poster

Does anybody know the wind range for the 18LW ? I've been looking all over and no info, on,y for the 17m .
Thanks a lot in advance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:34 am 
Rare Poster

Boqueron44 wrote:
Does anybody know the wind range for the 18LW ? I've been looking all over and no info, on,y for the 17m .
Thanks a lot in advance

+1
I'm really interested what the top end is for 85kg rider on a twintip - aproximatly?
Mike maybe? Would really appreciate it.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:37 pm 
Medium Poster

I think Mike's on his honeymoon, so may be a little while before any response from him.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the top end of the Vantage 18, didn't seem like one of those lightwind kites that you're afraid of using just in case the wind cranks up a few knots. I remember on the day I tried it, a friend of mine took it out with a sector in winds where he should have been on a 10 or 12 - i was expecting to see him back on the beach again within 5 minutes wanting to change down, but he came back after at least half an hour with a big grin on his face :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:31 pm 
Rare Poster

peet wrote:
I think Mike's on his honeymoon, so may be a little while before any response from him.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the top end of the Vantage 18, didn't seem like one of those lightwind kites that you're afraid of using just in case the wind cranks up a few knots. I remember on the day I tried it, a friend of mine took it out with a sector in winds where he should have been on a 10 or 12 - i was expecting to see him back on the beach again within 5 minutes wanting to change down, but he came back after at least half an hour with a big grin on his face :)

You must be right about Mike, I remembered reading about him tying a knot :)
Do you think that with twintip would go bit higher or did the sector's fins work for upwind?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:15 pm 
Rare Poster

That's my point , I wanna be able to kite with 5-6 knots without being worried about the wind picking up , I'm on my own all the time here , so my concern is if that kite will handle up to 15 knots when I can swap to my 12m . I'm 85kg either on 1,38 TT or Sector V4 . Any suggestions ?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:53 am 
Medium Poster

I'm pretty sure I've ridden it comfortably in 15 knots or so (80kg) and when my friend (sub 80kg i'd guess) took it out on the sector it probably a few knots over that!

Totally agree with your concerns about a lightwind kite, top end is every bit as important as the bottom. Will give mike a poke and see if he can comment :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:46 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks a lot Peet for your feedback, I'll wait for this gentleman to come back from his honeymoon.

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next