All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interesting Judging Discussions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:38 am 
Frequent Poster

Conditions indicate it was gusting to 35 knots...... getting into megaloop territory......
We're not talking about weak ass kite loop vs a board off 1080 in 15 knots.....

I didn't see how either of these tricks were thrown. So my comments may be way off.

a dangly 1080 is a beginner trick. Send the kite carve hard pull the bar in, hold it in keep rotating. congrats you landed a ..1080!.. I think I stomped one of these my first attempt at a backroll. add the intermediate element of a board off, and you've got it. If you've got a big(ish) slow kite to use as a hang glider, this shit is basic.....and not interesting to watch. 1080+ board off is like backroll + transition.....really two intermediate tricks put together. if you can do a board off you can do a 1080 boardoff. If you can do a backroll you can do a backroll transition.

Kite loop is also basic intermediate trick.....but in 35 knots........becomes a bit more serious.
Watching a guys body get torn in half as he flies sideways like he got shot out of a cannon whilst mega looping is a bit more interesting.

You're comparing two intermediate tricks, the one which APPEARS more dangerous should win. Crowds wanna see high risk stuff......
Until you try to throw a kite low double handle pass the trick is completely uninteresting. It's tech as anything, fast and powered. but too low....doesn't look risky. throw that shit with the same power and horizontal speed 30 ft up...and you have yourself a spectator sport.....

It's not JUST height, it's gotta have SPEED and POWER..... big crashes, hot landings and guys flying like they were shot out of a cannon.....watch any ruben Lenten video in the 30+ knot category..... a symphony of violence......right down to the music choices.

avg joe doesn't care how many times you can spin around or twirl your board or how many handle passes you can do. they wanna see the kiting equivalent of free style motocross....or redbull rampage.....a megaloop is closer to this than a hooked in 1080 boardoff.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

FIGJAM

Good points...debatable on the wow factor breakdown though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Kevin langeree, andy yates, alex pastor, aaron hadlow, marc jacobs, youri zoon,bruna kajiya, ruben lenten and may more have had reconstructed knees or shoulders - really demonstrates how the riders put themselves on the line and is a good indication of risk involved in todays riding.

equally the same goes for redbull - wind above 25 knots - into the 30s and to towards the 40s is a real game changer in my eyes when it comes to risk both hooked in and unhooked - throwing a kiteloop pass in above 30 knots..... in f#$$#ingsane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:49 pm 
Rare Poster

Johnny Rotten wrote:
You're comparing two intermediate tricks, the one which APPEARS more dangerous should win. Crowds wanna see high risk stuff......

avg joe doesn't care how many times you can spin around or twirl your board or how many handle passes you can do. they wanna see the kiting equivalent of free style motocross....or redbull rampage.....a megaloop is closer to this than a hooked in 1080 boardoff.....

I totally agree with you that the appeareance should be a huge factor. However if they give points for what the crowd likes they should give way more points for the 1080 boardoff as people went crazy for these kind of tricks (at least according to the commentators). Furthermore we need to take into account that only a minority can watch the event live. The vast majority is streaming and a kiteloop isn't too spectacular when the kites are offscreen like all the time. On several instances not even the commentators were shure if the guy made a loop or not. How many times did you here something like:

Commentator 1: Big kiteloop from xxx
Commentator 2: Actually that wasn't a kiteloop, he had the kite over his head.

In my experience the avg joe likes the viarity. No matter how impressive a kiteloop is, it gets boring when you see it for 5 hours straight.
Therefore the 1080 board off should score higher as it is less standard and less percantage of the field can perform it. That's the way to motivate riders to constantly come up with new creative tricks and develop our sport in all possible directions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:21 pm 
Frequent Poster

For judging:
Since everybody has a phone now, the crowd watching can easely be part of the judging by sending f.eks 1-10 for what they think of each riders ride to a sms reciving computer and then let that be a part of the total wote, or there can be f.ex a overall winner and a crowd winner..... endless combinations possible :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Fantastic idea. Pure marketing data as well...people watch, money flows, bullshit walks....it's coming :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Guttorm: think tank is already on this...remember, the new investors are pros and will maximize the show on the water. Kiteboarding events gonna be da bomb in the near future.
Exciting times ahead and people will be wanting to see events again.

And during the big air in Tarifa the new tour managers had the chance to see a variety of tricks and how the crowd reacted to them...there is nothing like a good show!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 am 
Medium Poster

I don't know if the summary footage is representative, but going only by that, it looks like you were missing out on some height compared to the other guys - sure you had loads of float, but your peak height didn't seem to match the others shown. So on a comp which is judged as 70% height 30% risk factor, it seems a fair result to me.
I think if you were going higher you'd certainly be putting the cat amongst the pigeons :)

Ariel's double HP was pretty sick - definitely a high risk factor on that one!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

thansk for the link, was for ages curious how this Airstyle thing look in real conditions

but from the video don´t see either much of a crowd, or enthusiam for the show

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Take another look,wasn't much in it height wise. Hang was noticeable better plus board work no comparison. Infact it hard to tell as Toby's shot, they zoomed in and the water couldn't be seen. Again I don't think there is a whole lot in it. Agreed on one thing, that split is still too slim for technical work and we want to encourage riders to really push what they do up there.

Ta for the footage man ...

Ps yeh maybe there was some height differences...lol...had another look...and at 70 percent height then yeh...

Pps crowd noise the whole thing was overdubbed by music, voice over or slow mows...you must have super sonic hearing or something!

Last edited by Westozzy on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next