All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cap Town info
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi,

I'm from France and I plan to go to Cap Town a the end of the year (from end december till mid january), and I'm looking some information or tips

I've already collected some info, but it's always good to get some advice from local kiters !

Tableview, specially sea front from From Dolphin beach to Big Bay seems to be the place to be ! Is it better to find accommodation in Tableview - Dolphin Bay or in Blouberg - Big Bay ? I prefer area with shops, restaurants, bars....

I'm only looking for good waves and strong wind, Tableview - Blouberg seems to offer good and convenient spots like Dolphin Beach, Big Bay, etc...Is there a beach better than an other for wave riding ? South spots like Misty Cliff or Scorbourogh seems to be very good spots too ! Are they better than Tableview for wave riding ? Maybe should I consider other spot?

This city looks amazing, with so many things to do, so do not hesitate to recommend me interesting things to visit, bar, pub, beach, walk, winery, shops, surf spot.....

Thanks a lot for your advices.
Chris

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Cap Town info
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:14 pm 
Frequent Poster

Blouberg and Big Bay are actually very close to one another.

Blouberg is more built up (high rises) than Big Bay. There is a long beach to the front of Blouberg and you can set up anywhere and kite. It is all waves. There are a couple of good bars in Blouberg and several kite shops (Liquid Force, Best).

Big Bay has been around longer and has more of a village feel. Plus it is the most famous kite spot with waves and a section of flat water. Big Bay is also walking distance to two shopping malls (for food shopping, alcohol stores etc.). In Blouberg there are no large grocery stores only small convenience stores. If you stay in Big Bay you can go to the bar in Blue Peter but many of us head down to Blouberg in the evening to visit the bars there (3 minute drive or 15 min walk). There is a Cabrinha shop at Big Bay and several restaurants. The http://www.capetownkiteclub.com is in Big Bay and offers premium and backpacker/hostel type accommodation. You can walk to the beach from the property.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm 
Frequent Poster

try to find ocean view accomodation ,more expensive but is worth.
blouberg area .
no problem to find surf spot,all close.
5 and 6 m kite size only .
leave with less kg possible,you will be back with 30 kg !
platboom windiest ,transparent water,a must !
do not miss old biscuit mill saturday morning market
if you like meat ..".carne sa" restaurant
do not go north (langebaan ) nothing interesting.
expect many kiters running after the wave !
dyer island shark cage....emotion ... sea sickness not very beautiful place but if you see "big boy"
do not expect wind every day! last year some friend yust 3 session that time.
cape town some boring after a while
safe and no problem going around everywhere ,yust some attention night time!
went twice from italy
ciao

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey guys,

Any accommodation recommendation around the Blouberg / Big Bay area? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:00 pm 
Frequent Poster

kitesurf-ripper wrote:
Hey guys,

Any accommodation recommendation around the Blouberg / Big Bay area? Thanks.

Cape Town Kite Club?

The property is in Big Bay (one block from the beach). It is self-catering and has premium, standard and more hostel/backpacker type rooms.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 pm 
Medium Poster

I wrote this blog post 2 years ago with my tips for travelling to Cape Town for kitesurfing. I'll update it with a couple of recent bits but on the whole it should hopefully help:

http://www.progression.me/news/2013/01/ ... cape-town/

Also on Witsands/Misty Cliff/Scarborough - they have some pretty amazing waves when they are working but it can be pretty quiet to live out there and when the wind really blows it can get too strong. So most people base themselves in the Blouberg area and head out to the cape when the conditions look really good.

[ 6 posts ]