All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Spots Closed by Beginners and Accidents
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:48 pm 
Medium Poster

Is it really true that "Bad" riding (buzzing swimmers, violating swim areas, launching / landing on crowded beaches, treed kites), kiting accidents or boat rescues get beaches closed to kiting? Sure there's grumbling afterwards, but does it actually ever happen?

It's frequently stated that any questionable behavior will get a beach closed, but sketchy riding has been going on for 15 years now, and somehow, miraculously, most beaches remain open.

I'm sure somewhere, sometime, there was an accident that got a beach closed but it doesn't really seem to actually happen very often.

For example: In Ontario, the #1 beach (Keswick) was closed in 2008, from too many riders (50+) in a small neighborhood park only 20 meters wide (people still ride there in the lake, just can't launch / land in the park). Everyone thought it was the end of kiting everywhere. However in 2013, 2 Ontario riders died in unrelated accidents without a single spot being closed.

Post your story of actual beach closures, and what got them closed.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Spots Closed by Beginners and Accidents
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:17 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Never heard of anywhere being closed down due to 1st party accident of kiter - in all of history.

Kiters mixing it up with 3rd parties is another issue entirely - eg public. not keeping buffer zone.. - even then there are very few reports of any third party injuries caused by kiteboarders also - kiteboarders are pretty considerate people generally I reckon, partly because they know you need to show respect to get respect.

This is why my opinion differs so greatly from RickI - the self proclaimed kiteboarding safety guru - he thinks a proactive database of kiteboard accidents is detrimental to him, as his local authorities may use it to close down spots. I however think it shows a proactive, responsible attitude that will help educate riders without having to read through 1000s of web pages where it is all available anyway as kiters are clearly so keen for others to learn/be educated from any possible mistakes made.

Rick I has a database - his his private, he will not make it available. He has a conflict of interest though, in that he does paid work for the courts from time to time based on this information - so I created an open source one - anyone can add to it and they sure have. It's not perfect but being open source anyone can add to it or take the data and use it themselves.

Its people's own choice if they want to open,read it and learn. There is no doubt though that good education saves life's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 5Wnc#gid=0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:05 am 
Medium Poster

Why wouldn't Ricci keep the info available????

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I think it already happened several times in the past!

Wasn't there an accident with a kid that got lifted from the lines on a UK beach?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeah few years ago - ended up in cuts and bruises, know of one other in france not full details tho second hand story from literally 14 years ago.

Google kiters hurting themselves - too many - hurting others - very few.

Then there was case of kiter hitting windsurfer and windsurfer (france) killed but no one really knew why , seemed possible heart attack - dunno what outcome of that one was...

Anyway, if you show responsibility and common sense with authorities I see no reason for trouble. If it's a crowding thing thats a different matter - no recreational user really has more rights than any other - just show respect and be considerate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:

Wasn't there an accident with a kid that got lifted from the lines on a UK beach?

Also Tony the Clammer:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2360481

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:

where's Wind_rider when you need him :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm 
Medium Poster

Terrible story re:Tony the Clammer and the UK kid being lifted by kite lines.
Where did this happen?
Did the accident "close the beach" to kiters?
Do people still kite there today?

It seems that even with terrible accidents, spots remain open.

Maybe we're not "just 1 accident" away from having our spots closed, as so many self-appointed kiting police point out all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

william_rx7 wrote:
Terrible story re:Tony the Clammer and the UK kid being lifted by kite lines.
Where did this happen?
Did the accident "close the beach" to kiters?
Do people still kite there today?

It seems that even with terrible accidents, spots remain open.

Maybe we're not "just 1 accident" away from having our spots closed, as so many self-appointed kiting police point out all the time.

So you think it is better just to be disrespectful and endanger others because that will help the situation? These "self-appointed kiting police" don't want to have to nudge people in the right direction trust me. I'm sure they would rather just go about their business of having fun on the water but when you see kooks doing stupid dangerous things in order not not be lumped into "those damn kiters" they have no choice but to intervene... I can just imagine what it would be like if they didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:50 pm 
Rare Poster

Toby wrote:

Yeah. A kitesurfer trying to solo land her kite on the beach managed to get a 3yr old kid caught in the lines and lofted him! As a result the council banned kite buggying forever. Go figure.

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next