sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Edge bladder aneurysm after 1 month

Postby sflinux » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:44 pm

cglazier wrote:Using talcum powder is an old myth that has been around for years. Talc does nothing but make a mess and is unnecessary (and not healthy to breathe). I have replaced probably over a hundred bladders and we NEVER use talc.
Well said, agree completely. :thumb:
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927617

Hawaiis, Do you unroll your kites before inflating them? I've found the chance of aneurysm is greater if while pumping, you use the internal bladder pressure to unroll the kite.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Hawaiis enjoy it while you can (19m Ozone edge).

My 2013 is falling apart. The famous Ozone stitching is now coming apart on the strut to canopy connections and leading edge. I do watch the bladder during inflation its an issue with all kites 17m and up. Thank god I have another kite on the way this thing will never last the Basil Summer.

Treat it like toilet paper at the beach and you might get the year out of it.

Cheers and good luck you will need it.

Is starting to blow time to go!
T

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:26 pm

sflinux wrote:
cglazier wrote:Using talcum powder is an old myth that has been around for years. Talc does nothing but make a mess and is unnecessary (and not healthy to breathe). I have replaced probably over a hundred bladders and we NEVER use talc.
Well said, agree completely. :thumb:
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927617

Hawaiis, Do you unroll your kites before inflating them? I've found the chance of aneurysm is greater if while pumping, you use the internal bladder pressure to unroll the kite.
The material is simply too thin. I alway unroll and check to make sure there is no twist. The holes are at the end of the wing tip.

dusta
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby dusta » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:55 am

no problems with my 2013 edge's . 11/15/19 have copped a hammering for over a year and no issues. I don't wipe my kites down , pack them away wet sandy and really don't treat them well .

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Man sorry to hear that I hope Ozone takes care of it for you since its so new but until then I'm definitely not bringing my edges to Hawaii ;) My 2013 Edge 19M has over 150 4 hr sessions and still flies like new. I pump it to 9PSI (electric pump) every time pretty much self launch and land all the time and keep struts inflated all the time in my truck (its hot in Miami so I have windows cracked and dark tinted windows with sun guards) The 2014/15 Edge are incredible I only have the 9M so far but the canopy is so solid no flutter at all even under hard looping. The new edge seems just more responsive and refined in every way than previous models. I've been flying Edges since 2008 without any issues currently own 19, 13, 11, 9 and I still use a 2009 Edge 11M to teach friends with. I did have a 2010 C4 12M that got a middle strut aneurysm but that happened after a big tumble in surf when I couldn't relaunch and the kite already had 2 years of hard riding on it. I flew it like that for another 2 hours since I didn't want to end the session

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:06 am

airsurfer wrote:Man sorry to hear that I hope Ozone takes care of it for you since its so new but until then I'm definitely not bringing my edges to Hawaii ;) My 2013 Edge 19M has over 150 4 hr sessions and still flies like new. I pump it to 9PSI (electric pump) every time pretty much self launch and land all the time and keep struts inflated all the time in my truck (its hot in Miami so I have windows cracked and dark tinted windows with sun guards) The 2014/15 Edge are incredible I only have the 9M so far but the canopy is so solid no flutter at all even under hard looping. The new edge seems just more responsive and refined in every way than previous models. I've been flying Edges since 2008 without any issues currently own 19, 13, 11, 9 and I still use a 2009 Edge 11M to teach friends with. I did have a 2010 C4 12M that got a middle strut aneurysm but that happened after a big tumble in surf when I couldn't relaunch and the kite already had 2 years of hard riding on it. I flew it like that for another 2 hours since I didn't want to end the session
how are you finding your Edges when comparing them to last years models.

I have a 10m 2013 and a 10m 2014 and the 2013 Edge turns faster, a LOT faster. Even after setting the steering to the out most attachment point.

Return to “Hydrofoil”