Forum for kitesurfers
tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo Soul vs. Ignite

Postby tommeltot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:14 am

I'm a drysuit convert - my winter wetsuit confined to the garden shed. Nothing beats being warm and dry underneath at the end of a session and just throwing the drysuit off with no need to towel off.
I wouldn't entertain latex booties because they can easily get punctured through neoprene boots if you stand on anything sharp or jagged. I've never had an issue with latex ankle seals leaking (Just make sure they're pulled up above your ankle tendon.)
I have had a couple of Ocean Rodeo Pyro drysuits in the past and also one of their surf suits. The breathable Pyro Pro has been my favourite up til now. Easy to don and doff, comfortable to wear whilst riding, warm and dry whilst standing on the beach and dries off quickly if you haven't got a heated area at home - unlike neoprene which can be cold and dank for days.
I just ordered an Ocean Rodeo Heat suit as I have no need of a hood (use a neoprene beanie if necessary) and have never been desperate enough to need a pee so don't need the extra worry of remembering to do up a pee zip!
I may have some more to post once I get the suit but I expect to be just as happy as I have been with this outfits products in the past.

styleito
Medium Poster
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby styleito » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:34 am

@ Soul drysuit users

Do you figure base layers when determining sizing?
According to OR' Soul size chart, I'm on the border between XS and S.
I guessing that if I layered up I'd be better of with the S but, I'd hate for it to be too baggy.

FLAkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Augustine, Tarpon Springs, Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Tarpon Springs
Style: Jumping, easy tricks , TT, hooked in
Gear: 2012 LF envy, crazyfly 132, cabrinha stylus 145
Has thanked: 0

Postby FLAkiter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:46 am

Styleito- I was between a med and large but went large because of chest measurements. I could of easily layered underneath it and there was a lot of excess material in the ass area (good for movement though). Im 5'11 around 160 lbs and while the suit was plenty long, aesthetically I would of like the jacket maybe an inch longer. I returned it because Amazon sent the wrong color twice. If I had to do it all over I would surely order both sizes and even pay to ship one back, it will take that what if thought out of your head.

tommeltot
Medium Poster

Postby tommeltot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Height and waist are the primary measurements to consider.
Take into account a thin base layer such as Ocean Rodeo's 'Heater' under layer when determining suit size. I rarely wear anything thicker under my Pyro Pro.
I'm tall and slim and am going to purchase a 'Heat' suit in size L for leg (and arm) length as the M I tried on recently felt a tad short in these areas.
Believe me you won't be disappointed in whatever you choose. Ocean Rodeo gear is of an excellent quality and built to last. Riding dry has transformed my kiting experience!

styleito
Medium Poster
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough

Postby styleito » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks tommeltot and FLAkiter.
Good advise.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:53 pm

OR drysuit weather tomorrow (OR Surf). 23 knots easterly on the Baltic sea, sunny, air 3-4 degrees Celsius, water still around 8 degrees, can´t wait. :thumb:

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:48 pm

:oops:

Well, you certainly know how to make a company like ours proud. It's great to see the comments on this thread regarding our suits and their build quality. We take your feedback very seriously and have worked hard to earn your respect with the products we ship so this is great to see.
styleito wrote:Do you figure base layers when determining sizing?
Styleito - In fact when we make the suits we anticipate the likely need for under layers to be worn so these measurements take into account a modest amount of base layer thickness.

As Tommy says below our Heat base layer is a relatively thick pile synthetic fleece that is designed to be a slim fit so it ads about an extra cm or so of thickness when worn.

Suppose I will finish by saying that we offer the 13x sizes specifically so we can try to accommodate with as good a fit as possible as many people as possible but the one thing to bear in mind is that a slightly large suit is better than a slightly small suit as the material doesn't stretch.

John Z - OR

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:56 am

Another +1 for the OR suits. I tried a competitors suit last year , never again. There was absolutely no comparison between the two, OR wins hands down on quality build and comfort. I am currently saving for a new OR one and cant wait to put my winter wetsuit in the shed either !

robinsonpr
Rare Poster
Gear: Rev 1.5 Quad Stunt kites
Airush 3m Trainer
PL Pepper 1.5m
PL Twister III 3m
Flysurfer Peak 6m, 12m
PL Venom 13m
PL Synergy 15m
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PL Comp XR Buggy
PTW Superbug II
Slingshot Rally 7m, 9m, 12m
Nobile NHP
Nobile XTR
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke

Postby robinsonpr » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:44 am

Is there a new version of the drysuits in the pipeline?

tommeltot
Medium Poster

Postby tommeltot » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:49 pm

tommeltot wrote:I'm a drysuit convert - my winter wetsuit confined to the garden shed. Nothing beats being warm and dry underneath at the end of a session and just throwing the drysuit off with no need to towel off.
I wouldn't entertain latex booties because they can easily get punctured through neoprene boots if you stand on anything sharp or jagged. I've never had an issue with latex ankle seals leaking (Just make sure they're pulled up above your ankle tendon.)
I have had a couple of Ocean Rodeo Pyro drysuits in the past and also one of their surf suits. The breathable Pyro Pro has been my favourite up til now. Easy to don and doff, comfortable to wear whilst riding, warm and dry whilst standing on the beach and dries off quickly if you haven't got a heated area at home - unlike neoprene which can be cold and dank for days.
I just ordered an Ocean Rodeo Heat suit as I have no need of a hood (use a neoprene beanie if necessary) and have never been desperate enough to need a pee so don't need the extra worry of remembering to do up a pee zip!
I may have some more to post once I get the suit but I expect to be just as happy as I have been with this outfits products in the past.
I still swear by the comments I made on this thread previously (see above.) Despite being a little older than back then I still don't feel the need for a 'pee zip' but would say that a two way zip on the outer jacket front would be a welcome addition. This would make accessing the harness hook a little easier on those occasions when wearing the harness beneath the jacket. I suspect that this might be one of the upgrades for this season?

Return to “Kitesurfing”