Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Global winds...getting less?

Forum for kitesurfers
SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Global winds...getting less?

Postby SimonP » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:23 am

Pacific trade winds have increased by about 20% in recent years. Speculation is that this is part of the reason why we haven't seen a large increase in land air temperatures this decade, the additional heat has been pushed deep down into the ocean. This may be due to the phase of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation that we are in; time will tell. El Niño is long overdue, and the next one will be a hot one.
The southern ocean has increased westerly winds too by about 20% but they have shifted southward. This is part of the reason for the record Antarctic sea ice extent, which is not the same thing as sea ice volume. This is likely driven by the increased temperature between the insulated southern pole and the warming southern ocean. The pole is being kept cool by the ozone hole and the circulating westerlies.
The northern jet stream has been acting weird over the last few years. The likely cause is the warming Arctic and a diminished temperature differential causing it to wander in large Rossby waves, with weather systems being locked in one place for long periods of time.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:41 am

Is El Niño when the sea current below equator become warmer than normal and as a result sea breezes go down (as less difference between water and land temp) and more rain...? prob way of the mark but do get a bit confused about this...

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:48 pm

plummet wrote:...
about: Global winds...getting less?

Plummet [chuckle chuckle] Get it? :naughty: :rollgrin:
Sorry couldn't resist adding absolutely no value to this brainiac discussion.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:42 pm

tautologies wrote:
Eurus wrote:
No they are not. Where do you think local winds come from? Local winds are a subset of the larger make up of global winds.

What do you mean by local winds? The only type of wind that is "local" to an area are sea breezes and land breezes. Most winds are not a result of sea or land breezes and are the result of larger meteorological events occurring world wide.
Local wind: The wind patterns on your local beach. Local weather patterns can change completely opposite of overall trends so interpreting and generalizing what is going on locally as an indication of what is happening globally would not be a reliable observation.

Anecdotal data are non-representative.
Your'e not paying attention. If you read my original response I accounted for what "local winds" are.

When weather is in play interpreting what is going on locally is 100% an indicator of what is happening globally. By weather I am talking about high pressure and low pressure systems that move through any given hemisphere. The days when you have no weather moving through are the days when your "local" effects are experienced. i.e. heating and cooling of the earth and the ocean, etc...

Last winter the Jet Stream over the northern part of the US was pushed well off of its usual path by the polar vortex that descended into the middle of the US. This pushed the wind the SE part of the US normally experiences even further south. Those places experienced consistently high wind periods where the SE part of the US experienced low wind periods. None of that is anecdotal.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:38 pm

SimonP wrote:...The southern ocean has increased westerly winds too by about 20% but they have shifted southward. This is part of the reason for the record Antarctic sea ice extent, which is not the same thing as sea ice volume. This is likely driven by the increased temperature between the insulated southern pole and the warming southern ocean. The pole is being kept cool by the ozone hole and the circulating westerlies...
Admit it: there is no coherent explanation why Antarctic defies global warming. With Antarctic sea ice increasing and setting new records, that would increase albedo, so how can you say "Polar Amplification" with straight face?

As for trade winds increasing or decreasing, they are listed as excuses #8 and #25
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/09/11/l ... -up-to-52/

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:45 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:Admit it: there is no coherent explanation why Antarctic defies global warming. With Antarctic sea ice increasing and setting new records, that would increase albedo, so how can you say "Polar Amplification" with straight face?

As for trade winds increasing or decreasing, they are listed as excuses #8 and #25
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/09/11/l ... -up-to-52/
...so is not coherent by the global warming skeptics...

i prefer cold scientific statistics:
for arctic ice: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

and for the North Atlantic Oscillation: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... ensm.shtml

very much self explanatory. at least for the europe

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm

eree wrote:[
...so is not coherent by the global warming skeptics...

i prefer cold scientific statistics:
for arctic ice: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

and for the North Atlantic Oscillation: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... ensm.shtml

very much self explanatory. at least for the Europe
I am so glad to see someone is here to speak for all of Europe.

I have yet to have someone tell me what the climate should be and why change is wrong. It has been warmer and colder at any given location at some point in earths history. The oceans have been higher and lower too. What is the correct sea level?

Europe knows. Please tell the rest of us the secret.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Eurus wrote:
Your'e not paying attention. If you read my original response I accounted for what "local winds" are.

When weather is in play interpreting what is going on locally is 100% an indicator of what is happening globally. By weather I am talking about high pressure and low pressure systems that move through any given hemisphere. The days when you have no weather moving through are the days when your "local" effects are experienced. i.e. heating and cooling of the earth and the ocean, etc...

Last winter the Jet Stream over the northern part of the US was pushed well off of its usual path by the polar vortex that descended into the middle of the US. This pushed the wind the SE part of the US normally experiences even further south. Those places experienced consistently high wind periods where the SE part of the US experienced low wind periods. None of that is anecdotal.

I'm not quite sure if you are misinterpreting me on purpose. Your example illustrates what I am saying very well. In your example some people would conclude that there is less wind in the world and some would conclude there is more.

What I am saying is: By you going to your local beach and sticking your finger in the air and see that there is no wind you cannot conclude that the world has no wind today. You going to the beach many times putting your finger in the air and get the impression that there is less wind is also not necessarily a good indicator for overall global wind patterns.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:31 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
I am so glad to see someone is here to speak for all of Europe.

I have yet to have someone tell me what the climate should be and why change is wrong. It has been warmer and colder at any given location at some point in earths history. The oceans have been higher and lower too. What is the correct sea level?

Europe knows. Please tell the rest of us the secret.
Its not wrong. Its a matter of increased risk. As temperatures rise, we'll have harsher storms, more of them, weather patterns will be more volatile, temperatures swing more. In short it will be much more expensive to live here at a higher risk of death.

Return to “Kitesurfing”