Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board for fast down wind landings?

Forum for kitesurfers
Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Board for fast down wind landings?

Postby Do-it » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:38 pm

I don't get the opportunity to try a lot of boards and I was wondering which boards are better for faster landings. I mainly ride a custom 140 with straps. This board's high rocker helps with the hard landings, but is there a better board out there for speedy landings? It would also be nice to get upwind a little quicker.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Board for fast down wind landings?

Postby William Munney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Do-it wrote:I don't get the opportunity to try a lot of boards and I was wondering which boards are better for faster landings. I mainly ride a custom 140 with straps. This board's high rocker helps with the hard landings, but is there a better board out there for speedy landings? It would also be nice to get upwind a little quicker.
I'm very happy with my Crazyfly Raptor. It's comfortable and goes upwind easily. Might want to look at your technique and timing on the landings, they shouldn't be hard even if they are fast.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:23 pm

I also like CrazyFly, more for their pop and upwind capability than landings. I tried an Axis board the other day and was highly impressed. Quad concave bottom makes for a very smooth ride, and I plan to look more closely at Axis. (My current board is an RRD Poison, also good on pop but a bit stiff on landings.)

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:35 pm

oh..... It's my technique for sure. I was just thinking there might be better combo of width and rocker to help aid in the building of my technique by making fast landings easier to stick. The raptor has a good following and was on the top of my list. Thanks for the feedback.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:03 am

More rocker, more board flex, big soft foot pads.

The more rocker and more flex you have the worse at upwind.

To compensate for the rocker and flex look for less ellipse more rectangular shape. That will help for upwind.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:05 am

Spleene Zone second edition. White with orange outline.

Very flat tail rocker with nice generous entry rocker, but with a nice long taper on the front end.

Goes upwind really well Really nice for hot landings with the flex tail.

My guess is the new Zone Fish should be really nice too.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:42 am

if you're landing that hard and fast, you probably don't want a flat board. the less rocker you have the harsher the landing will be on your body. the reason pkra guys ride those boards is so they can keep their speed up between tricks and have as much upwindability as possible so they can focus on doing tricks in the time they're given

the custom does have a lot of rocker, so if you're looking for something with a little less, there are boards in between the flat freestyle boards and the high-rocker wakestyle boards... I'm currently riding the LF influence (the new model is the Legacy) which is kind of in the middle as far as rocker and stiffness, so it's a little easier on your knees and still better upwind than the pure wakestyle boards. if you really want that stiff aggressive fast freestyle board, the Element is the one that's winning the pkra at the moment. I rode the previous years model and it's really awesome (i used it as my strap board, influence for boots). kind of a skatey loose feel and has a ton of pop. this years board is stiffer and stronger so it can be ridden with boots or straps

Return to “Kitesurfing”