Style: smooth
Gear: Ozone Reos / Enduros
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LF influence vs influence LFX

Postby gwechall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi everyone!

I need a bit of help to chose btween this 2 boards (2013 models), i tried to find some reviews but don't really find the difference a part of the grind base :roll:
I need a board for freestyle/freeride that handle chop really well, that works great in low (upwind) and high end (speed), nice pop for unhooked.
My last board was a Wainman Joke that i really like but the upwind in low wind was really bad and i couldn't practice tricks without walking all the way back :-? So i'm looking for a board with +/- the same funny feeling (carving, huge pop, confort...) but with a better upwing in low wind.
So wich LF board will fit the best?

Many thanks for your help! :jump:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: LF influence vs influence LFX

Postby dyyylan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 pm

The Influence and LFX are the same shape, the only difference is in the flex and the base. The LFX has a little more flex and a grind base for hitting features with, or if you have a rocky beach it can be nice.

The Influence is kind of a crossover freestyle board, it has a little more rocker than most "freeride" boards, but it's not a huge amount, so it doesn't affect your upwind performance very much. Of course the extra rocker helps soak up chop as well. I personally ride the influence with boots in 1 size larger, and it gets on plane about the same as most other boards I've tried.

If you're looking for extreme upwind/lightwind performance you might be more interested in the Element, it has less rocker and blasts upwind very very easily. It's a high-performance freestyle board though, so it is a bit stiffer (for excellent pop) and might be a little harder on the knees depending on what kind of chop you have. If you have more wave-like chop (like I had when I rode it) it will work great, I used it as my lightwind strap board. If you have more bumpy chop like in a river or lake, you will probably want a board more like the influence.

gwechall
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tarifa

Postby gwechall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Thx Dyylan for your answer! :thumb:

I think the LFX will match what i need! a do it all, easy in chop and the grind base can be nice when i ride the lagoon of tarifa (pretty shallow water) :wink:
Element will be to stiff for my knees (snowboard injuries...) and too flat for the heavy chop we can have here.
Does the softer flex of the LFX affect the pop comparing to the influence?

Thanks again!!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dyyylan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:22 am

I have not ridden the LFX, but from what I've heard it has plenty of pop. A lot of the team riders have been riding the LFX as their primary wakestyle board since LF didn't produce a DLX for 2014 (now replaced by the Echo for 2015).

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:49 am

I ride the LFX 2013 and freakin love it

bluerocketboy
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle

Postby bluerocketboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi, I'm afraid with the LFX you may well find it goes upwind no better thank your joke, the joke doesn't really have a big rocker for a wake style board and goes upwind well. something like a cabrinha custom has far more rocker.
The element will go upwind better than your joke as it's flat and stiff, but as u say it's not going to be comfy.

gwechall
Medium Poster

Postby gwechall » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:42 am

I found the Joke to have pretty poor upwind comparing to many boards i tried lately even with more o similar rocker (or maybe a problem of feeling)...
Loved this board but pain in the ass to practice in low wind...

Yep the element will be to stiff and flat, I saw a Kaos brand new 2011 really cheap (250€), i know that the board is flat too but heard that it is pretty flexible and the doble concave make it ok through the chop, does anyone tried it?

Thanks again for your help!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dyyylan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:18 pm

gwechall wrote:I found the Joke to have pretty poor upwind comparing to many boards i tried lately even with more o similar rocker (or maybe a problem of feeling)...

Yep the element will be to stiff and flat, I saw a Kaos brand new 2011 really cheap (250€), i know that the board is flat too but heard that it is pretty flexible and the doble concave make it ok through the chop, does anyone tried it?

Yeah the kaos will be a little more forgiving because it has much more flex, I rode the 2012 Nova for about 2 years, very similar board. Influence is fine upwind though, I would probably go for that personally.

gwechall
Medium Poster

Postby gwechall » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:55 pm

dyyylan wrote:
gwechall wrote:I found the Joke to have pretty poor upwind comparing to many boards i tried lately even with more o similar rocker (or maybe a problem of feeling)...

Yeah the kaos will be a little more forgiving because it has much more flex, I rode the 2012 Nova for about 2 years, very similar board. Influence is fine upwind though, I would probably go for that personally.
Ok thanks! i just won a bid for a brand new 2013 influence on ebay for 251€ !! Many thanks for your help guys! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”