Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: labeling your gear

Postby polarstorm » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:53 pm

GregWoj wrote:If you are good with a power drill in hand, you can use the right drill bit and engrave. May not help resale value but that label sure aint coming off.
..this is actually the best idea as a theft deterrent. but yeah, resale. better yet leave an ambiguous marker (three holes, etc.), then take a photo of it with your ID next to id. that shouldn't affect resale as much as your personal name and address (for which you should use a sticker?)

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:59 pm

I've used these for over 5 years. They work really well.

http://www.sea-id.com/

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Just some thoughts about this.
I only buy cheap old kites but in good condition so I know I will never sell them
I use black permant magic marker a lot to put my name where it can be seen easy, and phone number!
I also do this on the kite bag BIG, so obvious,so a would be theif who sees the kite bag with my name BIG marked will have to think twice about stealing.
And I make sure it is visable if left in the car.
Ever forgot your bar because you got involved in a after session conversation and just forgot?
I scratch my name and number with a sharp awl on my bars plastic surfaces and have twice been glad I did as nice fellow kiters called and returned!
Just a funny but so true story.
Had a skywatch, made a nylon padded case with a neck strap.
Name, number magic marker on as norm for me.
BIG wind blew well sanded kite bag on beach spilling skywatchfrom pocket to my dismay when I returned.
As it was off shore wind I was sure to never se it again.
A call months later , found working and returned!
I know of guys (3) who have lost kite board hydrofoils, yes, at sea NEVER to be found.
Maybe had their name and number been HIGHLY visable maybe a kind person would have called, but with no info on lost gear what is anyone to do?
Try cleaning hard surfaces with pure alcohol to not damage finish.
Use the best permant black felt tip that you can find. Press hard to make it dark.
let dry fully, then cover with clear finger nail polish. lasts for years like this if well done.
R H

KITEMOBILE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie Misissiquoi, QC
Favorite Beaches: WAVES,NC
Gear: Ozone EDGE V8 15m(red)
Ozone EDGE V8 11M(red)
Ozone CATA 12m,10m,8m
Slingshot GLIDE
RRD poison LTD v2 143

Postby KITEMOBILE » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:09 pm

jsquid wrote:Vinyl lettering sticks to boards and stays, same stuff used by sign/custom graphics shops.

Find a sign shop and get them to cut you a bunch, or there are cheaper hobby level cutters available too so you can just cut your own, opens up the possibility to make your own lettering and whatever other creations you want to cut out and stick on things.

apply a clear vinyl strip over it, it will outlast your board (will protect they printing)

Kitemobile

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 am

polarstorm wrote:
GregWoj wrote:If you are good with a power drill in hand, you can use the right drill bit and engrave. May not help resale value but that label sure aint coming off.
..this is actually the best idea as a theft deterrent. but yeah, resale. better yet leave an ambiguous marker (three holes, etc.), then take a photo of it with your ID next to id. that shouldn't affect resale as much as your personal name and address (for which you should use a sticker?)
A Dremel would be easier to control and engrave with.

nychris
Rare Poster
Gear: HQ Ignition 14m kite
HQ bar/lines/harness
Cabrinha Spectrum kiteboard (144x43cm)

Postby nychris » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 am

Great advice on here as usual. I decided to order the sea-id tags for my boards so I could get colors that match each board. For the kites, bags, pump, etc.., I'm just going to put a normal sticker/label on it and then cover it with packing tape.

denislee
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilha Bela
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Cabrinha X-bow, North Vegas, Slingshot Fuel

Postby denislee » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:20 am

I don't recommend using Sharpie, the ink disappears after some years. Use another brand.
I use a floor marking tape that is made to be glued to the floor (so it is made to resist water). I tape my boards and write info with a marker. I also write my name in hidden places.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am

I have used this kind of oldschool label printer: http://blog.timesunion.com/lifeathome/f ... ebGrab.jpg

The text won't fade like "newschool" label printer text do

I recommend also to put your email address to your gear if you travel abroad - because send an email is free, unlike overseas call

nychris
Rare Poster
Gear: HQ Ignition 14m kite
HQ bar/lines/harness
Cabrinha Spectrum kiteboard (144x43cm)

Postby nychris » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:38 pm

These sea-id.com labels are great. I got one red and one clear, they blend right into the board but you can easily see them if you were looking for it.
Attachments
kiteboards - sea-id.jpg

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 am

Nice one Chris!
They look very good.

I have even peeled mine off and put on another board.
It damaged the corner of the label a bit, so I cut all the corners off, to make it look neat and even.

Kev

Return to “Kitesurfing”