Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Screws coming loose. Remedies?

Postby GregK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:30 am

My remedy - forget using screws and use stainless steel set screws & nylock nuts.

Find a specialty fastener supplier and get the appropriate thread ( 1/4-20 or metric M6 ) long enough to fully engage the inserts in the board, go through the binding, and have room for a flat washer and nylock nut.

First step degrease the insert holes and set screws with acetone. Coat a set screw with your preferred level of Locktite and thread the set screw to the bottom of the insert with a slight torque to put a pre-load on the threads and push out any excess Locktite ( wipe that away ).

Give the Locktite some time to set, then load your bindings over the set screws, and lock them down with the washers and nylock nuts. If there are any soft layers in the bindings you may have to tighten up the nuts after a few hours as the soft layers compress, but that's it. I find with the right Locktite the set screws never come loose, and the nylock nuts are great at resisting the vibration and oscillating loads the bindings see during riding.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:49 am

jats2k9 wrote:I had to buy M6 screws/bolts ( whatever the name is) and they are actually a bit shorter in lenght. Hence why I'm more concern about them coming loose. It doesn't take much for them to fall out.
If you're worried about length then buy long and cut em down, easy. This really shouldn't be a 4 page thread, any of the previous, locktight, ptfe tape even super glue (to get u thru a session) will do. And no they shouldn't bottom out. But you'll probably find that just giving your inserts a good clean or re-tap and new set of bolts will do.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am

I had the exact same problem a year ago - no matter how tight i did up the screws (I was worried about damaging the board I did them up so tight), they always came undone quite quickly. I tried loctite, those antislip washer things, I even took to the base plate with a drill - but as it turns out, the problem was caused by screws that were just slightly too long.
Got some shorter screws and it sorted the problem out immediately.

Riding with inverted duck stance is not fun!

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 am

dragnfly wrote:
... I'd imagine it's fucking agony unless you got double jointed knees, why the hell did you do that?

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:45 am

I think I just figured out why they're coming loose (Other than the fact that they are actually shorter, just confirmed). I notice that they all come looser after a certain amount of use, but there is one of them that get loose faster. I usually throw the tricks on the same direction, putting more pressure on the same tip of the board (back foot) which causes the tip to flex and that is exactly what is loosening the screw. When the tip flexes, the screw moves back and forth within the hole on the base plate. I was able to notice this movement because there is some clear wear on the plate. See the pic.
Attachments
photo.jpg

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am

sijandy wrote:
dragnfly wrote:
... I'd imagine it's fucking agony unless you got double jointed knees, why the hell did you do that?
Lol - it wasn't intenional dude - its just the way I ended up riding when the screws kept coming loose and the straps started spinning round - they seemed to end up in inverted duck every damn time - and you're spot on - it is agony.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 am

I would try using the correct screws and washers first, they do not look correct

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:05 am

JGTR wrote:I would try using the correct screws and washers first, they do not look correct
Makes no diff, thread n length is all that matters.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 pm

sijandy wrote:
JGTR wrote:I would try using the correct screws and washers first, they do not look correct
I think you'll find that it does, otherwise why are there so many different types of washers and screws out there? That is a countersunk screw with a conical washer, most of the force will be around the centre of the screw especially if the screw and washer aren't exactly matched (screw looks too small for washer) This will lead to a reduction in the pressure and the binding could move and the screw comes undone. Fact is no one else seems to have this problem so must be something wrong with the current setup.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:52 pm

JGTR wrote:
sijandy wrote:
I think you'll find that it does, otherwise why are there so many different types of washers and screws out there? That is a countersunk screw with a conical washer, most of the force will be around the centre of the screw especially if the screw and washer aren't exactly matched (screw looks too small for washer) This will lead to a reduction in the pressure and the binding could move and the screw comes undone. Fact is no one else seems to have this problem so must be something wrong with the current setup.
I see what your saying and to a certain degree yes, for example the LF lock washers. The Slingshot example above will work with any washer/bolt combo so it doesn't matter. Agreed the bolt/washer combo he's used above is not perfect but it's not the cause. It just happens over time and can be a combo of a number of things, shit in threads, damaged bolt, damaged thread, flexing board etc etc

Return to “Kitesurfing”