Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cape Town Visitors - A reminder about manners

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:16 pm

id name him in a heart beat,...

whats cool is most team riders are cool and helpful, its that 1% that should be named and publicly shamed

BigBafana
Medium Poster

Postby BigBafana » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Fly-away the problem started with you as far as I can evaluate it, as a simple question to the local if it's ok to lay out your lines above his, would've opened a dialog. Communication is key and it seemed like the lack of it and just making assumptions didn't work.

To anybody, talk to each other, use a calm tone of voice and you might actually make new friends at the same time. Just chill. It's the same guy who might actually bring back your board or help you out if you're in trouble.

Think of everyone as a potential new friend. I've been to Brazil this week and many little groups gathered at the kite spots, not that meany mingling with others. And guess what, those that seem a bit reserved or unapproachable, might just look that way and are just a little introverted or maybe shy too. Once I spoke to them they really opened up and were pretty nice people. Suddenly you have many more kite launcher buddies and people to share a drink with.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:48 am

stylesy wrote:What is it with euros? We have the same issues with them in west oz. It's only early season and they are already turning up and pissing off the locals.

The starboard rule doesn't always work or apply to every spot. At ours there's a more of a clockwise circuit which allows kiters to do a trick in the butter flat, land down wind and ride back to the start and do a trick at the other end. It's when visitors try and enforce the starboard rule on the way back and cut upwind of everyone in the circuit which fuks everything up.

Is the term "short tack" known in Europe or elsewhere? It's what the euros are famous for here.

One point I'd like to add.. Is to respect the locals at the spots you visit. It's a rule taken from surfing which works well and regulates retarded behavior. You can't rock up to a new spot and act like you own the place.

I’m Australian, but Euro in my heart and soul which can’t change easily after 30 years in the EU.

I do have accent. And you would think I’m an Eastern EU trash.

Most of arrogant dic..eads are not turists but locals, all right. The worst of them showing up on +25kn with tradies single cab chassis vehicle or so called ute (utility vehicle).

Last time someone almost crashed into me after him making a quick turn. When I said ‘watch when turning’, was abused with yelling and threatening with ‘show respect to locals or...’. Which is funny, coz I am local riding 99% of my time on that spot for the last 7 years. I’ve never ever seen the guy before.

Hence I’m considering not to go out any more on +25kn wind.

Short tacking is well known on the WA roads and called tail gating. Never ever seen this behaviour in the EU. Actually, showing a middle finger (which is so common in WA), is an automatic fine on the spot in Germany with about Euro$2000 fine. That is to stop antisocial behaviour on the roads which WA is 'proud of'. Which is the core of the problem in WOz.

When an tradie/whatever earns $100-200k/year the world is under his/her feet.

Short tacking on the water coming on shore is unacceptable. Just as well not looking before jibing.

D.

Fly-away
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maccassar beach, South Africa
Strand,South Africa
Myoli Beach Sedgefield,South Africa
Favorite Beaches: One eye Mauritius
Style: Wave riding
Gear: Core GTS and Section kites
Van Hunks directional kite boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fly-away » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:46 am

Big Bafana. You are right, I was impatient and irritated due to traffic, and therefore a bit hasty and direct, my issue to work on.
I will try make peace.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:34 am

Jbrook wrote: What these cunts need is a good pounding when nothing else works sometimes it is what you have to do. But as soon as you are ready to throw down they are like I am sorry I am sorry. Too bad everywhere is not like Hawaii where retarded behavior very fasts gets you a talk with Jr. I dont know why they call him Jr he usually weighs 150 kilos and up and his hand is the size of your head. Sometimes violence is the only option and keep innocent beachgoers and other people from getting hurt. A black eye or a broken nose heals with time and gives you some time to think about what you did silly Euro, go have a timeout :rollgrin:

Of course this does not apply to all Euro's but is definitely the majority where I kite at, maybe 1 or 2 in 10 are cool, that is a shitty ratio.
There are idiots who think like this at one of the spots near me. Approaches people whilst they are setting up and start fights with anyone who doesn't have valid proof of insurance. I guess his idea is to stop non-locals even getting on the water?

I guess we don't have the same level of crowding here but the more effective policy of a friendly word seems to be more effective. Sort of killing with kindness approach.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Nobody is starting a fight. After you try to talk to somebody a few times and they keep risking your access because the next bad accident will get your beach banned from kitesurfing. I am all for being friendly and respectful. I travel alot and have never had any problems when visiting a new beach. I always try to be courteous and also see how the locals ride and give preference if spot has some special characteristics. Last case scenario is when it gets ugly. To the last poster don't be such a putty, you must be new to kiting. :nono: :naughty: :kiss: :jump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”