Forum for kitesurfers
wetdog
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Single front line flag out systems 2015

Postby wetdog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:57 am

It seems all the big companies are now offering a SFL flag out system except two:

F-one and RRD.

Guys, you need to wake up. A mini 5-th system is as outdated as the velcro quick release and a lot less safe that a SFL...

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Re: Single front line flag out systems 2015

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 pm

wetdog wrote:It seems all the big companies are now offering a SFL flag out system except two:

F-one and RRD.

Guys, you need to wake up. A mini 5-th system is as outdated as the velcro quick release and a lot less safe that a SFL...
Funny isn't it. Should the days of "no need to flag out, 100% depower when letting go of the bar" really be counted? :rollgrin:

Single front line flag out is in use since when, 1999? Peter Lynn anyone?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:18 pm

isnt ocean rodeo also mini-5th?

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:55 pm

What do you mean.......... My four line North quad bar flags out my ocean rodeo razor at least 50% of the time. I call it "getting Lucky" :(

wetdog
Medium Poster

Postby wetdog » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:51 am

edt wrote:isnt ocean rodeo also mini-5th?
You are correct. They are not very big outside US though (not that it makes any difference).

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:04 pm

One important concern with single front line flag-out to consider : if a front line snaps and it is the one connected to the leash, if you release your chicken loop, you have released your kite.

SFLFOS ( going with the full acronym ) should have a back-up O-sheet handle on a steering line should that flag-out front line break.

Typically a kite will start pin-wheeling when a front line goes. The natural instinct is to release the chicken loop as soon as this happens. With a double-front line system like Ocean Rodeo's ( they call it the roll-over bridle system - kite goes belly up when CL is released ) no problems because the double-front line system has just become a SFLFOS.

But if you're riding a SFLFOS you either :
- let the chicken loop go and hope you win the coin toss
- hang on and determine which line broke, then decide release CL or go for the grab handle on the steering line if you have one

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:12 pm

You dont have to determine which one broke in a panic. You do have to recognize that a front line snapped. and grab the OS handle then release the chicken loop. If the front line that snapped was your safety line, your good on the OS handle. If the other front line snapped, you will have a lot of tension on the OS handle, so you let it go. My only 4 line bar has OS handles.

Have had a bunch of mini 5th kites with and without roll over bridles. Have never had one do anything really scary. Pull a bit when gone to leash but nothing stressful. I suppose that is all situational.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 pm

when the kite starts to pinwheel i usually just hit the QR. It's a memory muscle reaction I don't think about it, the kite looks weird, boom I pull the QR. So for me at least, there's no option of "think about what to do first" I have already hit the QR by the time I start to think about it. I snap lines a lot so this means yes the kite escapes fairly often for me. You would be surprised how fast one can swim when one sees the kite tumbling downwind. So far I've never hurt a kite by completely releasing it due to a single center line snap. You also have to release a kite if it goes into the wash, so you know what I mean, usually the kite is ok when you completely release it.

But yeah I definitely agree that is one aspect where the mini-5th is better than the single center flagging.

The main reason kite manufactures switched has nothing to do with safety it's so they can make better kites. You have enormous constraints on bridle design if you rely on a mini-5th.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:27 pm

RRD obsession is not really a "mini 5th line", it is like another poster called it a "roll over bridal". The RRD bar has a high "Y" point on the centre lines. The idea is you must let go of all tension in the bar and then release and the kite tumbles over on it's back, similar to a traditional 5th line kite like the North vegas.

I have flown RRD Obsession for years and am not that keen on the current bar as any tension or line wrap and you have a kite that will pull like hell. RRD had a single flag out on the 2009/10 RRD global bar and moved to a double front so they clearly have tested lots and have faith in the design.

double front flag out in 40knts....could be mighty scary.

I have snapped front lines in the past and you have no time to figure anything the kite start looping fast with power and you could be dragged under water etc... goodluck trying to even get near the "o-shit" flag out in that situation.... My opinion - they both have flaws.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm

For sure there is nothing 100% about anything in kiteboarding, but other than Having a true 5th that is absolutely the least likely line to ever break, I'd advise having OS handles on 4 line bars. When the shit hits the fan, its all happening real fast, but I've used OS handles on plenty of occasions that have been exactly that..... the moment you say OH SHIT and grab one. Each and every time its all been for the better and I have not lost the kite or had anything scary happen from that point on.

OS handles... not a bad idea.

Return to “Kitesurfing”