Shinn Shinnster vs Spleene Zone 5.3

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Shinn Shinnster vs Spleene Zone 5.3

Postby L0KI » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:19 am

I am curious how these two boards compare.
I wonder what the rocker line looks like on the Zone 5.3 compared to the Shinn Shinnster..?? (I know what the Shinnster looks like)
I wonder about a lot of things in comparison between the two.
They are the same length at 160cm (5' 3") but the Zone is 49.5cm (19.5") wide while the Shinnster is 46cm (18.11") wide.
The outline of the Zone is more surfboard shaped with the fish tail and the nose looking like a fish surfboard, where that Shinnster has the rear end that is straight across like a race board and the nose is a wide arc and has no point to speak of, like the BRM Paipo.
I'm guessing the Shinnster is more flexible, but Spleene describes the Zone as having good flex.
The 5.3 Zone has four fairly large fins in a normal quad arrangement, while the Shinnster has just two 57mm fins from a twintip with no toe in or camber to them, and they are placed right at the very back of the board.
I am interested in the new Zone 5.3 size.
I would appear that, of the two new Zone models the 5.3 it is meant to be the board for lighter winds and smaller surf, or to play around on a lake.
If anybody has experience with this board, please tell me what you will.
Anybody have anything to contribute to this conversation I'm having with myself, please feel free to chime in. :)

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shinn Shinnster vs Spleene Zone 5.3

Postby UKSurf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:45 pm

I have a shinnster and it is an amazing lil board. Feels like a twintip when you are edging it and like a surfboard when you are carving it. Very easy to ride and very comfortable even in chop due to its flex. Also easy to do all kinds of things on you couldnt do on a surfboard unless you are some kind of professional rider. Probably not the best board if you are in serious waves which you might want something a bit stiffer for, but other than that it is a great piece of kit and makes strapless effortless.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 pm

I was very sceptical about the Shinnster until the day I tried one. Great fun especially for simply cruising around in light winds and trying all kinds of strapless tacks etc the very small fins allow the board to slide around easier than a regular directional...I would never even attempt to use it in "proper" waves though, not with such small fins.

Cant comment on the Spleene sorry so not really much help :oops:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Oldnbroken wrote: Shinnster has the rear end that is straight across like a race board and the nose is a wide arc and has no point to speak of, like the BRM Paipo.
The Shinnster is a BRM Paipo. It's the same board licensed from BRM just made by Shinn in Europe. It's got a bit more flex and beveled edges but other than that it's the same thing.

Great board.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu
Been thanked: 0

Postby dimip » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:09 am

I don't have any of them, but I would like to buy one of them...
Nice topic, keep on...

(I have seen on Facebook a version of quad fins that might come with the new version of sinister)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:47 pm

dimip wrote:(I have seen on Facebook a version of quad fins that might come with the new version of sinister)
I think that was an autocorrect error, but I thought that would have been a great name for the Shinnster. Shinnister sounds much cooler :D

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm

A dope smoking friend made a copy of the Shinnster and even added the same logo but Skinster

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Behind both boards there is a different concept for this reason I would say that it is difficult to compare them. The Shinnster / BRM Paipo are something unique more like a mixture between a skimboard and a surfboard, pure strapless. It is easy to feel when you are trying one of them that there was done a hell of testing and refining before they got to market. They are easy to use, quite versatile and perform in different conditions surprisingly good. They are more easy to ride than a modern no nose surfboard shape especially in the chop because of the flex and not that limited like a Skimboard. Today I got some gusts around 13knots on a lake and could have a lot of fun with the Shinnster and a 12m kite. The whole low resistance design with small fins makes them planning effortlessly even in very light winds. The flex and shape makes it easy and comfortable to go upwind even in choppy waters. Two weeks ago I had a lot of fun with the Shinnster in different conditions in Cartagena (Columbia) with a smaller kite and much stronger winds and some small mushy waves and chop. Even waveriding was possible.

Looking on the Spleene website I would think that the Zone boards are totally aimed to waveriding, need more wind and better conditions to get the most out of them. They are following the same concept like the Nobile or Axxis Surfboards in snowboard technology.

I'm very happy to have a Shinnster because I can have fun in conditions when I would be disappointed with a twin tip board or real surfboard and can train my strapless skills.

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:50 am

I agree with NEKite....I think he hit it on the nail that comparing the 2 boards is very very difficult since they are 2 different beasts. I have not ridden a modern Zone but have a lot of time on the old zone, and a Litewave DV8 (in the same ball park). The Shinnster and the BRM Paipo are totally different boards to those boards. I own the both a Paipo and a Shinnster and would not care to own a DV8 or the old Zone over either of them.

Joel

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:09 am

One thing about the BRM Paipo.....it never ceases to garner a lot of attention from other riders who haven't seen it before. The (mostly) cosmetic plastic sheets that are usually adhered to the top and bottom of thin boards (twintips, shinnster) were not added on the original, the BRM Paipo. You see the natural variations in the paulownia wood through the glass/resin. Perhaps those sheets wouldn't add much weight...but it is very light and minimalistic....and quite cool if you like that sort of thing. (Slightly off the direct topic of your original question...sorry 'bout that). I have had that board for about a year and have used it for near 100 sessions. The best single word to describe it for me is "fun". Just fun. I keep wanting to dig into my quiver for other boards....then 95% of the time, want to ride that Paipo because it makes me smile when riding. (Hardly an objective critique I know...but you can never be sorry that you got that board. I want 5 of them in case he ever stops making them....those it is looking like that one board will long outlast me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”