Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rrd Emotion 17 or Switch helium 17?

Forum for kitesurfers
andrewjohn
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rrd Emotion 17 or Switch helium 17?

Postby andrewjohn » Sun May 31, 2015 1:51 pm

So I opted for the 17m Emotion in the end.
Had a couple of sessions on it so for.
I'm 75kg riding a big old Lost Cause 140x49 TT on water, and just starting to do nice transitions, so no expert by any means, but have been riding a landboard with foils for 10+ yrs, so have good kite skills.

1st session was on land in about 10-12 kts. Pumped up in less time than my 13 Shiva.
Launched with a helper, super easy, and flew perfectly right out of the bag with new RRD bar.
It doesn't look like a 17 in the air, but it definitely had plenty of power. I'd just been on the water on my 13, and should have used this really.
It turns quick enough for its size, almost on a par with my 13 I'd say. I've only ever flown big light wind foils up till now, and this is like a whippet compared to them.
I had it on full power and was well powered on my landboard. It's nice and stable, and only flutters a little when depowered a bit too much.
Took a while to dial into jumps, but was super floaty, not very high, but with more practice I reckon I'll get some nice jumps out of this.
Bar pressure was about medium, but increases with more power.

2nd session was on the water. Got down to the south coast spot with flat water but very little wind, meter showed 5 kts max. But forecast was for it to increase so thought I'd get it set up anyway.
Once set up the wind felt like it would be enough to launch, so went for it. This thing launches rediculously easy. Pulled it round and the mass of fabric lying on the sand caught the air and it took shape. Small tug on a top line and it just rolled over and up it went. Wind was still only 5kts or so, not enough power in the kite to get on the water but easy enough to keep in the sky. There is no way I could have launched my Shiva in that wind.
I walked out to the water anyway, and the wind died. So set the kite down and waited for the promised wind.
About 20 minutes later the wind had shifted from W to SW, so a few small waves now breaking near the shore line, and felt like just enough to give it a go. So another easy lunch and into the water. I guessed the wind was now about 8 kts.
It had enough power to water start, and do a few short runs whilst I got used to it. Once I get the feel of it it had me tacking back and forth no problems. I even cracked my first proper transition turns with it. And I didn't notice any flutter in the canopy on this session either, so maybe that happens in stronger winds when it's depowered too much.
Spent about an hour mowing the lawn, but hey, it's better than doing jobs at home, and loved it.
Self landing is a bit odd though.
Took it to the edge as usual, and it just sits there, pulled more front line it due to the high split on the V6 bar, then pulled the one top line. Instead of flipping over as expected, it rolled over backwards and headed down wind on its back. Fully depowered, but strange non the less, a bit like the IDS kites do I suppose.
Packed up, got changed and went to check the wind again. Wind meter was showing 8-9 kts.

So it really is the 8 knt kite I was looking for. Packs up very small for a big kite too which is nice.

Now I can't compare it to any of the other light wind kites out there, and have no brand loyalty at all. I currently fly this RRD, a couple of Flexifoils, and HQ foils, but I'm really pleased with my choice, especially at the price I got it for.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun May 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Interesting review.

This may work for self landing the Emotion - by using the Q/R to flag to the upper line. I've used it on a few front line flagging kites and it worked. Maybe only in light winds though as the Emotion may be prone to drifting when parked due to it's light weight.

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=30

Or maybe like landing the Cloud at the end of this?

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peert » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:02 pm

ronnie wrote:Interesting review.

This may work for self landing the Emotion - by using the Q/R to flag to the upper line. I've used it on a few front line flagging kites and it worked. Maybe only in light winds though as the Emotion may be prone to drifting when parked due to it's light weight.

I tend to keep my kites dry towards the end of my sessions.. Better in the car, better at home..
Therefore I do attach a rope with hook to an object for 'tethered' landing.

andrewjohn
Medium Poster

Postby andrewjohn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Peert wrote:
ronnie wrote:Interesting review.

I tend to keep my kites dry towards the end of my sessions.. Better in the car, better at home..
Therefore I do attach a rope with hook to an object for 'tethered' landing.
Not an option on the beaches I kite at. No objects to attach to.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:23 pm

Congrats AndrewJohn - enjoy the new light wind kite

Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dnipro
Favorite Beaches: Dubai
Gear: Mystic Majestic
Been thanked: 0

Postby 4566523 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 am

Hi guys, I want to get same strutless kite RRD Emotion MKII 17m 2017, but very little reviews about it on internet I found.
I found new model has been added one strut. Looks like strutless kites not very popular, is there something wrong with them ?

Kitenuovoman
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Kitenuovoman » Tue May 28, 2019 11:29 am

Go for It..perfect for hydrofoil much Better and safer than foilkite....but of u go only with twintip maybe more performance with struts kite ..now All hydrofoiler are switching to strutless(onestrut) kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”