Caribbean in January, Which island/s?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
GPMcGee
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone Kites, Naish/Axis Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Caribbean in January, Which island/s?

Postby GPMcGee » Sun May 24, 2015 6:10 am

FLandOBX wrote:Yes, Grace Bay has shops and restaurants in a walkable area in and around Salt Mills Plaza. There is also a small but relatively nice grocery called Graceway Gourmet (IGA) in the Grace Bay area.

Kite Provo rents Core and Cabrinha gear. It is good quality, late model equipment. Two other schools (Big Blue and TC Kiteboarding) also rent gear. Bringing kites and renting a board is a good option if you are trying to reduce luggage bulk and expense.

Thanks again for some good info :)

I think I've decided to hire gear. Way to many flights in my journey to drag my stuff along

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:32 am

This has been interesting for me too. My wife and I live on our sailboat. She is a recent kiter and I am thrilled that we can enjoy the sport together. When the wind dies we are keen snorkelers and spearfishers. Currently we are in the San Blas islands of Panama. Windy season is December through to April, so now is the time to sharpen spears.

Anyhow, as I learned to kite here, I have not been anywhere else, for kiting, that is, we have sailed across the Atlantic five times now, and we have watched kiting in places like Tarifa to Fuerteventura and Bonaire to here, so these other destinations are interesting for our voyage planning, however in January this place ROCKS! So, if there are any "senior" kiters out there who want to know more about where we are, shoot me a message...We'd be glad to help.

GPMcGee
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone Kites, Naish/Axis Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GPMcGee » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:13 pm

So, we've decided that the Turks and Caicos is a bit too expensive :(

Looking into some other options now.

Has anyone kited in Jamaica? Looking at possibly Monetgo Bay or Ocho Rios. I've found two kite places near Montego so leaning more towards there.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: January....I don't want to be the downer here but just to be clear, the wind in Provo is about as reliable as the wind in Cuba. You can have an amazing week or you can be skunked, depends on the weather to the north. Sure there is a trade "breeze" but on its own you will not be kiting... and the island is too small to create much of a thermal... it does happen though.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Return to “Travel”