Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kitesurf Odyssey: Lisbon > Madeira. 1000 Km. More than 40h

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Mini Kitesurf Odyssey News:

The MINI Kitesurf Odyssey will begin tomorrow!

Lisbon > Madeira. 1000 Km. More than 40h
1 LIS.jpg
1 LIS.jpg (183.85 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
It’s official, after working hard, preparing everything and waiting for the best weather conditions, the MINI Kitesurf Odyssey will begin tomorrow, 5th of July, at 4PM (GMT)!

With the aim to break the world record of “the longest distance kitesurfing without stops”, Francisco Lufinha will try to connect Lisbon to Madeira on a trip of 1000 Km, which may last more than 40 hours. He will endure two nights on the deep waters of the Atlantic Ocean, under challenging weather conditions, strong winds and big swell.

We have a treat for international followers: the start of the Odyssey will be broadcasted live on Youtube! Don’t miss it :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/franciscolufinha/videos

Kiteshare
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: Kiteshare - Brand Ambassador
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurf Odyssey: Lisbon > Madeira. 1000 Km. More than 4

Postby Kiteshare » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Francisco is finishing it today, just about now, and setting a new world record as we speak...

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:42 pm

Reminds me of a nonstop trip on my motorcycle I made back in 1986, from Lisbon to Munich. 30 hours on auto pilot. I thought it was cool back then, now I'm glad I survived. Hope Francisco makes it safe to Madeira.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:05 am

What does "without stops" mean, is he flying the kite and standing on the board (moving) all the time without breaks? :-o

fredmendes
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fredmendes » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:58 pm

jyka wrote:What does "without stops" mean, is he flying the kite and standing on the board (moving) all the time without breaks? :-o
Yes, that's what "without stops" means, standing on the board and flying the kite without breaks. He is getting food/drink from the support boat.

I've been trying to follow the journey through the Android/iOS app and the website (http://francisco.lufinha.pt/?lang=en).

He had 2 setbacks in the last hours, a broken line which forced him to change the bar and a ripped kite which forced him to change the kite.

I just checked and he has been in the sea for 48.5 hours and has covered 831 km. There are still 153 km to go.

Last comment on the app was that he is feeling very tired but still going, the main goal now is to go as far as he can.

Return to “Kitesurfing”