Forum for kitesurfers
skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Re: WTF? What's going on at Core?

Postby skullcandy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Bille wrote:Off topic here :
What is the highest AR kite that Core makes ?
I have used an Ozone Edge since 2008, and would like to try a kite that's at least
near the AR of an Edge , (or a bit lower) .

Bille

Bille - XR4 is Core's highest AR & 5 strut , and def a bit lower AR than the Edge. But the XR has pulleys FYI.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:30 pm

skullcandy wrote:

Bille

Bille - XR4 is Core's highest AR
. But the XR has pulleys FYI.
And the Ozone Edge doesn't use pulleys ; i'll stay with the Edge for now ,
even if it turns a bit slower.

** The LE diameter on the Edge, has gotten Bigger almost every year since
2008 ; this makes the wind-rang LESS . My 2008 Edge was good for 14 to 32-mph
with two boards , (162cm and 142cm) along with my 210-Lb rider weight.
My 2013 is only good for 13 to 28-mph , (same boards and rider weight).

Eventually I will be looking for another type of kite , if the wind-range keeps
getting less.

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby AirBunny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:39 am

Thanks, Pink. That was a nice explanation... Tons of good input on this thread.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:04 am

I have used an Ozone Edge since 2008, and would like to try a kite that's at least
near the AR of an Edge , (or a bit lower) .

Bille
And that's why I didn't get the Edge or the XR3 19m; couldn't find the info. I contacted Ozone in March regarding the AR of the Edge and the exact reply was "The aspect ratio of the Edge is more than 4, sorry that I can't give you the exact number." Didn't contact Core, so they may be a bit more lenient with the specs and yet I somehow doubt it.

Really wanted a 19m but I'm now a happy owner of a Boost 18m for the last month. Had all the kite specs on the website and all bridle length specs available at a click. It was between the Boost and the Helium, wanted to try the higher AR after my Zero 18m kept dissapointing me with it's upwind performance and/or once the wind picked up.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:14 am

Billie- i have spent a ton of hours on both. The XR is more durable, faster turning, lighter bar pressure. He Edge is lighter, has more range and will go up wind better. That being said: if someone switches from one to another i would find it hard to believe they would be upset either way. What sold me on Core was the bar and durability.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:42 pm

IanNJ wrote:Billie- i have spent a ton of hours on both. The XR is more durable, faster turning, lighter bar pressure. He Edge is lighter, has more range and will go up wind better. That being said: if someone switches from one to another i would find it hard to believe they would be upset either way. What sold me on Core was the bar and durability.
I used to have an XR3 and tried the Edge a few times and I would agree 100% with this statement.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:08 pm

flipper231 wrote:
AirBunny wrote:I'm yet to see Core make a mistake!! (Core team, don't take this as an invitation to prove me wrong.)
Oh these yellow and white glasses:

Here is my list:
-XR3 did not die when punched out...and kept pulling
-XR3 valve would freeze open in the winter, oh those nice sessions to look at the others kite and were selling replacement valves so you had to destroy a perfect, almost new bladder to get a valve that did not freeze below -14C
-Universal valve is not, forget your pump at home but not your hose, why not just going with the Cabrinha valve... Works perfect all the time
-valve deflator is a bad idea, forget it in and kiss your valve goodbye, did not happen to me.
-Sensor bar eyelet had to be bent to be re-activated
Hello,

"valve deflator is a bad idea, forget it in and kiss your valve goodbye, did not happen to me"

What do you mean?
If I do not remove the deflator spade thing whilst packing the kite away, I risk damaging the valve?

When should I remove it?

qwertywave
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD

Postby qwertywave » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:48 pm

are they colour blind? pretty sure there is more than black, white and yellow!! :wink:

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:23 pm

@TomW... -14 that is... 5C is very far from -14. I come from a shit hole .. We do kite in -14C. Core knows about it and changed the valve, no recalls, they should have offer new bladders at least...nope. They just sold new valves as spare parts and people had to dig a big hole in their bladders to change it. I did not pull -14 out of a hat, this number comes from CORE own Testing... Not bitching, just replying to the guy who said he never found a fault to CORE... They made their share of mistakes and will do more, they are humans...every brand has their list:
Cab, slingy, Naish, North, they all had mishaps so let's cut the crap and provide reel feedback so they improve. They got a real good base to work with now let's get some colours...

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:32 am

@Corbett sorry bro I missed your question. Keep the deflator in and remove it before final folding. Put your finger in the hole to keep the flap open to bleed all the air out. If you keep the deflator, the flap might remain open, in cold weather it will happen for sure. In hot weather, not sure how much of an issue it is.

Return to “Kitesurfing”