Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Bar from 2008 - need help for security line upgrade plea

Postby edt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:21 pm

magicyvan wrote:"Bars have so much evolved since 2009 that it would be .... blablabla... would be dangerous for your security .... " Seems like politician security speech to make us buy more or accept anything ... :))
they are absolutely correct. there are many dangerous bars from 2009 I have used them, some of them would get stuck when they got a speck of sand in them some of the quick releases would fail under load! That's the time you need it most. Some were so difficult to reassemble that people locked down the quick release just to make sure it wouldn't fire off and relied instead on putting the chicken loop off the spreader. Your particular bar, the slingshot side pull I forget exactly what it is called is one of the very few designs from 2009 that is reliable and easy to use. There are not too many bars from 2009 that I would mod this is one of them. So yeah for a newbie the best advice is "Don't mod the bar". If you know what you are doing, like you do magicyvan then you understand that this sort of advice is not for the experienced frankbar builders but just a general (and good) warning that I think is necessary. I see less of those old bars at the launch now but it used to frighten the heck out of me to see a newbie show up with an old control bar where I knew that it would not release under strain.

Love mod-ing that particular quick release, I have 2 frankenbars right now with various mods with that same slingshot side pull release.

You do have to remember to pull instead of push, that's the only annoying thing. I will probably eventually change out all my side pulls bars for center push releases just so they all release the same.

JBZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: texas city Levee, Sherman island
Favorite Beaches: texas city Levee, Sherman island california, kite beach Maui
Style: freeride, wake style, wave
Gear: Best, slingshot, crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JBZ » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:37 pm

magicyvan wrote:Oh oh oh ... I forgot to ask something, just for the road ... ;)

I see that your bars don't have those rear lines going into a pulley and connecting to the center ring. What was the purpose of this ? Do you recommend keeping it like this or not ? éhéhé you see I found an another question :) Neverending story here :)
it looks like T3rse has set his bar up as a 1:1 rather than the typical 2:1 bar. I have the same bar (and absolutely love it, much more then the compstick) if I fly it with any other kite I use it as a 1:1. but keep it as a pulley bar with the T2. the T2 requires you to keep it as a pulley bar (2:1) set up for the kite to fly correctly. see my pictures below, sorry about the clearity.
IMG_3127.JPG
IMG_3129.JPG

magicyvan
Rare Poster
Style: All-round
Gear: Slingshot 7,12

Postby magicyvan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:42 pm

@edt:
Thanks for this info. IT is probably because I had the only really safe bar from the old times that I did not realize the risks those old-timers had for the majority of them :) In fact, I never felt any problem to release, always ok, .. and pulling is not an issue at all :) it seems as logical to me than pushing. But thanks for the warning !

@JBZ:
Ok. Thanks. I did not know this 2:1 setting with pulleys was necessary for my TD....
I saw a video that ronnie posted, saying that converting a 2:1 config to a 1:1 for a big kite size was better for the speed/manoeuvrability. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpWviQaP6Ko). And it is true that sometimes I find it slow to turn !!

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:54 am

They are correct: The other thread stated that the smaller line will not work with the choad...simply use 3mm dynema with two brummels to make your leash connector and you should be ok. I do not run a 2:1...I've never needed to, so I can't comment on this.

magicyvan
Rare Poster

Postby magicyvan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:35 am

@T3rse: Yes sorry I'm mixing questions between the threads... sorry. But OK, thanks I will check the size of the Bungee to buy !! Hope the brummel from the bungee will be enough to make this knot big and strong enough.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:27 pm

magicyvan wrote:@edt:
Thanks for this info. IT is probably because I had the only really safe bar from the old times that I did not realize the risks those old-timers had for the majority of them :) In fact, I never felt any problem to release, always ok, .. and pulling is not an issue at all :) it seems as logical to me than pushing. But thanks for the warning !

@JBZ:
Ok. Thanks. I did not know this 2:1 setting with pulleys was necessary for my TD....
I saw a video that ronnie posted, saying that converting a 2:1 config to a 1:1 for a big kite size was better for the speed/manoeuvrability. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpWviQaP6Ko). And it is true that sometimes I find it slow to turn !!
I only posted that video to show a choad ball being used.

I didn't know that it was saying that converting a 2:1 config to a 1:1 for a big kite size was better for the speed/manoeuvrability.

I don't actually agree with that. The 2:1 pulley system increases the steering and sheeting action of the bar (so should be better for speed of turning and trim range), at the expense of heavier bar pressure.

When you have modified the bar, it would be a good idea to post some photos of it to check if it looks OK.

magicyvan
Rare Poster

Postby magicyvan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:29 pm

@Ronnie:
Yes it was written under the video if I remember well...
Good to know that the pulley system helps for turning speed !! thanks

Yes I'll post some pic... I'm searching for the shop able to order them in europe now ... :)
When the bar will be tweaked and ready I will use it for my 4 lines Link too...

Cheeers and thanks again for all this help.

Return to “Kitesurfing”