Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: The next big innovation?

Postby Bille » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Starsky wrote: ...

Hey, thanks. The bars in that thread look crazy, but the cuban yoyo idea could have merit. I'm not thinking of day to day riding, but I did a hand full of drift launches foiling this summer because, well, foiling opens up a lot of opportunities. The main issue is getting the lines out in a clear fashion, and unwrapping from the bar is never as good as it is in theory. One simple plastic ring (cuban yoyo) with all four lines could be a clean option for drifting. Really only need it for the launch. Coming in its simple enough to just drop the kite and wrap on the bar.

Drifting in light conditions is not as intimidating as it is in higher winds, and could open up a massive number of potential launches to foiling.
Perhaps if the entire bar were placed in the three cuban yoyo's that were held in together
with PVC ; and they had a slot cut in them to remove the bar, once the lines were out ? It
will take a few cups of coffee, to figure it out ! Your correct ; the landing part, is Easy.

The permit i applied for to kite at lake Mohave in 2016 ; i excluded 6-mile for summer , so
i'm gonna need to learn that drift-launch thing , (with my catamaran) before then.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:35 pm

These guys tried to make a go of the concept a few years back.... The kite covers of 2009

http://kitelauncher.com/about/turbolauncher/

https://youtu.be/s_QECLqzGPE

The cuban Yoyo uses the same concept its just a hell of a lot more simple and dirt cheap. You gotta take the thing with you if your drift launching and a simple ring could be little easier to stow than this thing!
turbolauncher.jpg
turbolauncher.jpg (8.86 KiB) Viewed 1524 times

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Starsky wrote:These guys tried to make a go of the concept a few years back.... The kite covers of 2009

http://kitelauncher.com/about/turbolauncher/

https://youtu.be/s_QECLqzGPE

The cuban Yoyo uses the same concept its just a hell of a lot more simple and dirt cheap. You gotta take the thing with you if your drift launching and a simple ring could be little easier to stow than this thing!
turbolauncher.jpg
Drift launch should not be this challenging, the key is to keep the kite tethered to your leash until you have cleanly unwrapped the lines from your bar. Then let the kite go... no pressure, no rush and you can always change your mind before you let the kite go if something seems odd.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Laughingman wrote: ...

Drift launch should not be this challenging, the key is to keep the kite tethered to your leash until you have cleanly unwrapped the lines from your bar. Then let the kite go... no pressure, no rush and you can always change your mind before you let the kite go if something seems odd.
I will need to learn the drift launch , in a 25 + mph wind ; how will the strategy change ?

Bille

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Drifting in any real wind, it sucks to tick tack lines off the bar. Your leashed line is generally the only tight line and it binds into the looser lines making it difficult to get it all out in a nice clear fashion. If its an easy entry, just not in the wind, I lay my lines out, doubled back in a nice easy line that I just trail em out into the water and swim into position to let the kite go. There are a million more places where its going be easier to have a compact way to spool out the lines untwisted, as the kite drifts and you swim away.

The cuban yoyo is a possibility, but so is a well packed little stuff sack.... the bucket method.

The stuff sack is easier to tuck into a pocket.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:57 pm

maybe a single line hooked to a quad drone with radio controls
when you drop the control it just hovers over your head holding you up just off the water
when you hit the release button it takes you back to your starting point :o

you know you'd have to try it :lol:

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:06 pm

evila wrote:An entirely new depower systen on a bar that works with 4 or 5 lines at the same time... Coming out next year.
come on evila, we all know this but nobody is supposed to talk about it at this stage !

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:47 pm

One small change I would like to see is the hole in bar being coated with the same material as Antal low friction rings. Anyone know what that stuff is? Some kind of ceramic?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:33 am

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:59 am

Self launching aids for inflatable kites. These could be an after market add on perhaps?

I think self launching inflatable kites is very problematic and sometimes dangerous so........

Return to “Kitesurfing”