Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What would be the perfect 9m2 for me?

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What would be the perfect 9m2 for me?

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:54 pm

I can't offer much in the way of comparisons, but I just upgraded from an old Best Nemesis 9m to a used 2015 Naish Pivot 9m (based at least in part on the discussion of this kite in the forum here), and the difference is amazing. Not twitchy in gusts, turns quickly, boosts really high with great hang time, and sweet landings, and drifts well enough when on a directional on waves. Best kite I've ridden. Was my 60th birthday present and the four sessions I've already had on it here in Illinois, and then last week in Florida where it was blowing 25-30 mph, were great. But I weigh 90 kg, and by the time it got near 30 I was at full depower trim and ready to go down to my Kahoona 7.5m.

doggy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands, Greatstone
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Hayling Island, Majanicho
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle, Surf
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What would be the perfect 9m2 for me?

Postby doggy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:26 pm

I am a similar weight to you and being light makes a big difference to which kites will work well for you when powered or for jumping. Usually the best are higher aspect with skinny leading edges as you can push them out of the window when edging and you don't get pulled off your edge too early. You will also find you need a kite which does not pull too much in the turn or doesnt need a lot of pressure through the canopy to make it turn quickly as you will be pulled off your edge too early when sending it and very fast turning with not too much line tension really helps.

Here are some which I have found very good for boosting:

Airush Union - Super quick turning and great whippy jumps
Liquid Force Wow - Quick turning, not quite as quick as the Union but more float
North Rebel - Easy big boosting and super floaty

Return to “Kitesurfing”